CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 27, 2009

The Michael Jackson Moment

Posted: 08:50 PM ET

By Sridhar Pappu via Forbes online

art.tribute.giThey aren't mourning the man. Not really. How could they? Mourners are gathering in Los Angeles and New York and elsewhere, weeping over the death of a man they never met, never spoke with, never had any intimate connection to. Yet in the end we knew very little about Jackson, and what we knew was dark and troubling. Hell, what we knew of him is damn right horrifying. You couldn't love Michael Jackson–not the man. But you could love what he once meant to you, what he brought to you, what the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins meant when he wrote:

Margaret, are you grieving

Over Goldengrove unleaving?....

It was the blight man was born for,

It is Margaret you mourn for.

No, they are mourning a moment. It's a moment now more than 25 years old when a man-child, born from Motown Soul, finally shed the image of his brothers, the afro, Gary, Ind., and the cartoon show, and came onto the screen to reinfuse pop with a kind of energy the world had never seen, and may not have since. Particularly for those of us in our 30s for whom "Thriller" was the first record or tape we ever owned, Michael Jackson was our introduction to real music, to that particular electricity one feels when something you've never heard before wraps around your whole body, with you on the other end never wanting it to let go.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Michael Jackson

Tim Koshul   June 27th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

I am still in shock by the death of MJ but today as i heard from friends who had bought tickets to the concerts in London all i could think about was why AEG wouldnt just offer a "tribute concert" in place. I am sure all 50 sold out shows people would still go...and they would support Micheals estate with the purchase of t-shirts etc. 50 shows worth of entertainers may seem like alot but if the word got out i am sure every artist would want to be part of this final goodbye. i rememeber the amazing freddy mercury concert. I hope someone from AEG reads this! R.I.P Michael from a Canadian Fan

Chapman   June 27th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

i am just happy to have lived and grown up in his era.......michael is forever

Karen   June 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

Michael was amazingly wonderful, his music really spoke out to everyone and it is clear that he was and will always be greatly adored. I could not stop tearing when I found out and my deepest condolences go out to the family.

Shirley Barsky   June 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

To The Jackson Family,

May God give you the strength to live through your terrible loss. The world has lost a memorable talent. We share your sorrow...

Shirley Barsky

Nila   June 27th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Jackson will be missed always....he was and will remain the light and life for many....many! No one can take his place.... Lord bless his soul!

Betty   June 27th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

Michael Jackson was a gift from God. He was more than the "King of Pop". He was a master of the entire world of music on many levels. He was a god at what he master. Michael became a threat to some in high places, so they sort to destroy his character. But his music spoke for him which can't be destroyed. He reflects the magnificence of the universe. I'm grateful. My prayers are with his family, especially his mother and his children.

Nurse Victoria   June 27th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

The physicians receive what's called a "kick back" or credit from the drug companies for all the Rx's they write for patients....It's what makes the drug companies wealthy....

Rene Caldwell   June 27th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

I am 49 and grew up in Los Angeles. I've watched him in Jackson cartoons and on The Jackson 5 show and loved it. Michael has always been there like an old friend and will always be in our hearts. God love the man and may he Rest in Peace.

Ethem   June 27th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

I also feel lucky to be someone who lived in the Michael Jackson Era. I am really sad Michael had to live through these whole child molesting accusations. He was always a legend and will always be remembered as one.
Rest in peace prince of pop

Judy   June 27th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

My heart is hurting, I am numb and in disbelief. When I first heard the news I was hoping this was a bad joke. Michael won my heart as I watched him grow up like a little brother. The Jackson family is like the hard working family next door. Who couldn't relate to them. My heart bleeds for his children, mother, father and siblings. I can't even imagine how they must be feeling. I know I am one person out of the many that love and miss Michael but my prayers are for the Jackson Family and his closes friends.

dickenson familly   June 27th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

Jackson familly, hope you get to read this, im following your sad story while on vacation in florida, I to was brought up as a jehovahs witness and choose not to follow it, but have faith and please tell micheals children they will be able to see micheale again when jehovah removes this bad world, that is the best thing you could tell them is the truth as a witness then leave it to them to make there choice, may the strength of jehovah be with you all at this sad time,you must feel proud how much the world is missing your son.

michael brooks   June 27th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

i never seen a thug cry for no reason. untill michael jackson return back to the earth. i drop a tear every time i hear his songs.i know when i cry i will cry hard it's like i just loss my brother.

Betty   June 27th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

It is a shame that so much attention is on the medication that Michael was taking after his death. Why did no one talk about it before he passed away and try to help him. let his Mother and siblings have this moment to greave, what difference does it make how he died, he is in a better place than you or I, and trying to find out how and what, it was his time, regardless of what you find out from the test. Just pray for his family. Have some respect for his children.

ernest   June 27th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

it's difficult to trust physicians who treat celebrities....I do not think Tim Russert had the best physician.either..sometimes we need to change physicians, or consult w/a team..of medical people..

Gifty McCauley   June 27th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

I remember the first time I heard Michael Jackson's name and saw his face. I was 5 years old in 2001 (13 years old now) and I was watching MTV. I was watching it then all of a sudden they played Michael Jackson's "Remember the Time" video. I was amazed and awestrucked by his wonderful dancing and beautiful voice. You know at the age of 5 years, every little girl wants to be a princess when she grew up. But not me, after seeing that video I wanted to BE Michael Jackson. After that I saw the "Thriller" video and at the age of 5 years old, you're supposed to be scared out of your mind seeing dead people come back to life. But I wasn't even paying attention to that, my eyes were stuck on Michael and his magical dancing and singing. He was an angel on earth that God personally hand picked to bring joy yo the world. Michael was and still is the love of my life. I knew all there was to know about Michael Jackson. I am very proud to say that i wake up every morning and thank the Lord for Michael. I was left heartbroken when I heard on 106 & Park that Michael Jackson had died. At first I didn't believe it but then I looked at them carefully and saw that the crowd had a serious face on and that Roxxi was about to brust out in tears. That's when it hit me hard that Michael has finally left us physically. I cried that whole entire day. But when I thought about it and I now know that Michael is in a much better place than this horrible and terrible place we call Earth. I KNOW that Michael is now sitting on the right hand side of God healthy and happy as can be. Michael can never leave us mentally. Michael and his music are one, Michael's music will live forever and so will Michael. LONG LIVE THE KING OF MUSIC, THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, MR. MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON!!!!

M. Scott   June 27th, 2009 10:54 pm ET

I just want to say that we lost a wonderful entertainer. It is a crime how the news media could not give any support during his charges of child molestation. Michael just did his best to give the love he desired and never received himself as a child. As far as this child molestation I think it was a lot of bunk. He engulfed children with a pure heart and love of children, something he never had. He was a child in a mans body and who can you be more open with than a child who pass no judgement. We can learn from the pure heart of a child and thet is what Michael was in his heart. Go with God Michael for HE is your one and only judge.

Avery   June 28th, 2009 12:22 am ET

I think Michael died of a broken heart. The British and American media completely assasinated his character and reputation. Plus the child molestation scandal. I don't know if he was guilty or innocent but that's between him and God and him and the alleged boy. The boy could have been telling the truth or he and his mother could have plotted against him for money and to take advantage of his "strange" reputation that the media perpetuated.

I say it was sinful what the media did to Michael. You can not judge someone when you have not lived their life. It was the media and the people who judged him who have the problem. It's what's on the inside that counts. They did a disservice to Michael Jackson's soul and to millions of people around this world who have deformities and or mental and emotional problems due to childhood abuse or trauma.

N. Crouch   June 28th, 2009 12:41 am ET

The most precious time I remember of Michael Jackson was when he appeared on The Dating Game. There is so much being said about him not being able to have a normal childhood. I think that this was one of those times when he seemed to be as much a kid as the three little girls behind the partition. It was so cute to see four children, giggling about dating questions when they would enjoy an ice cream date.
I hope the whole Jackson family as well as all who had the pleasure of enjoying hiim closely will know that you have the support and love of the world and we remember Michael with thanks for allowing us to share in the life and death of such a soft and loving soul.

Tanya Olivares   June 28th, 2009 12:48 am ET

An amzing man an amazing heart. Sadly his last few years he was only looked at as a freak. Now when he is gone people realize what a gem we have truly lost. Michael Jackson to me reminds me of the 10 year old girl watching "thriller" with her best friends and dancing to his songs in the living room. I still rmemeber his Billy Jean preformance on the music awards. May he now rest in peace and see how much he was truly loved by all!

Tara Bee   June 28th, 2009 12:52 am ET

To Micheal's family and children know that Micheal was loved and is the best and the controversy that people bring up is just that I and the rest of his fans never believed it and never will I grew up on and with Mike I loved him and may he finally rest in peace in god's hands cause he is up there smiling and is happy he did what he set out to do to be THE BEST

Cino Stone   June 28th, 2009 1:40 pm ET

I loved Michael Jackson. I remember listening to his songs growing up and I still play most of his albums, 45's and CD's today. His music, to me, will never get old. He has changed the world as well as healed it. He gave the true message of music in the lyrics to every song. All his songs have meaning and most of them are true and personal. I remember buying his 25th anniversary of "Thriller" CD just last year and it has some bonus tracks on it that I still listen to. I just hope that his children will be in the best care possible. His family, fans and close friends will be in my prayers. Note to Michael, "You are in a better place now, away from all the pain and ridicule. You never ever let it bother you in some aspects. You kept the music and concerts going in spite of all of that." The world is mourning the loss of Michael Jackson today and forever. The King of Pop is gone at age 50. Those were 45 years of great music and talent. Best wishes to his family, friends and worldwide fans. He was definitely and still is an amazing man in so many ways. He produced, wrote, danced, touched our hearts and sang his way to stardom. He is in God's hands now and will be treated fairly and not ridiculed. He loved the world entirely.

Ruby Coria, L.A., CA.   June 28th, 2009 2:56 pm ET

The only negitive thing I know about the Great King Michael Jackson, is all those who used & abuse him, & that trash knows who they are. Michael Jackson, will be remember in the higest regards, because all he did was out of this world. I feel so so bad for his family! I have no words, other then "I'm so sorry for the lost of such a wonderful, unique, loving person. R.I.P King Jackson.

monica   June 28th, 2009 8:55 pm ET

Micheal Jackson will be truly missed. Right now we are celebrating his life, his leagacy and every single moment that he lived he touched our lives. I think it is very disrespectful of the media to still be showing and in some ways focusing in the "negative" partos of Michaels life. He was a great man and that is what is to be is celebrated. His father himself has just said at the BET red carpet..is too bad this happened now that he is gone. Micheal should have recieved everyones respect while he was still with us but the mdeia would allow that, all they did was attack and attack. Like P Diddy also said since Micheal's passing we need to celebrate the man who gaves us hope, live and beautiful music. There is no need to talk about anything else but what he gave to all of us.

I lost a big MJ fan and a brother 9 years ago, it brings a smile to my face knowing that they are both in heaven dancing away. To the Jackson family I send my love and suuport, to his children: your father is insipartion to all us, he will live forever!

Marina   June 28th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

While living in Russia, my generation admired all of Michael Jackson's songs and behaviors that he explicited. He brought us freedom of western civilization and to live the dream of the USA. As a performer he showed the possibility of the human body that could be as plastic as the great mime Marsel Marseo presented. As a human Michael Jackson has shown to society that fragile, spritied, naive, good hearted people could be abolished by reality.

fina   June 29th, 2009 1:51 am ET

I Love You Michael, godspeed to a better place. I play "Ben" all day and I will never tire listening to it.. Your loss on earth is only a beginning of a peaceful new life with God. Farewell brother.

Eldora D Blandin Lougheide   June 29th, 2009 9:00 am ET

Ode to Michael Jackson.

I searched the Internet for any site that would say it is not true.
He is not dead.
He is alive but sick.
I did not want to believe it.
But, yes it's true.

He is gone.
And as my son consoled me “to a better place,
No more judging eyes.”
No more greedy taking hands.
No more dirty, wagging tongues of envy.
A pure and gentle soul has left us for a better place
Of peace, understanding .love and acceptance.
And once again the female rabbit devours its young.
The myopic media eats its prey alive on its own Promethean bed.
I heard in every scream and sigh his pain at the attacks and lies.
I knew his heart was raw but still I prayed for him to live at least longer than I.
I hoped one day to go to his concert
And see his face alight with that remarkable telling smile of Innocence.

Oh Michael, Michael, Michael!
There are millions of us who knew you and loved you because
We saw your purity of spirit,
Your rare goodness,
And your compassionate love.
c.c June 26 2009
Eldora June 26, 2009 at 2:26 pm

fina   July 2nd, 2009 10:18 pm ET

people who had close association with michael have all good things to say about him... his directors say, "professiona, hardworking, perfectionistl", friends " he never said bad things about other people". his will allocates 20% of whatever he is worth to charity. many rich people had died, some left their millions to their dogs or cats, others to their family. but with michael, amid the accusations he never missed to be charitable. Kudos and Farewell Michael.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter