CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 23, 2009

Larry Remembers His Friend Ed McMahon

Posted: 03:12 PM ET

Below, Larry reflects on the loss of his friend, Ed McMahon.  We'll be talking about Ed's life and career tonight on the show.  Doc Severinsen and Joan Rivers will be among our guests.

Ed was a really terrific guy to be around.  He was a great storyteller, Irish, a marine, a skilled announcer, and a wonderful foil for Johnny Carson.  Ed always carried himself as a top professional.  I always liked and admired him.  He once introduced me at a speech in Orange Country, and he introduced me with his trademark, "Heeeeere's Larry."  I gotta tell you, it felt really good.McMahon-FG-1

One of the beautiful things about Ed, and this is very important in our profession, is he was the same off the air as he was on.  I've always tried to be like that myself.  Arthur Godfrey told me the secret in this business is there is no secret - be who you are, and Ed was always himself.  I think that was the key to his success, and the key to the kind of career he had.

He wasn't a true star.  He couldn't carry a show by himself.   An "Ed McMahon Show" probably wouldn't have worked.  He was a born sidekick, and the beauty of Ed was he realized that and didn't try to make more out of it than it was.   Hugh Downs was Jack Parr's sidekick, but Hugh was a pretty good comedian in his own right.  Conan O'Brien has Andy Richter, who's also very funny.  Then there's Ed.  He was a generalist.  He wasn't great at any one particular thing, but he was comfortable with himself and his role, and that made the audience comfortable with him.  What you saw was what you got, and there's no trick to that - you either have it or you don't.

Ed was also a very good salesman - he sold himself, "The Tonight Show," and the many products he was a spokesman for.  He was also very good at selling himself.

Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of sadness at the end of his life.  The saga involving his house was very sad.  He came on the show to talk about and I could tell it really, really hurt him.

There was also a lot made out of Ed's friendship with Johnny Carson.  I think Ed made more of their relationship than was there, but I don't blame Ed for this.  Johnny had no really close friends.  He was a distant guy, and kept people at arms lenght.  Ed was probably as close as you could get to Johnny, but they weren't buddy buddy.  Ed made a career off his relationship with Carson after Johnny's death, and I think some people resented him for that, but I can't really say I blame him for trying to capitalize on that relationship.

You really have to admire Ed for having the kind of career that he did.  He did it by being himself - and that was about as good as they come.

Filed under: Ed McMahon • King's Things • LKL Web Exclusive

Len Gilman   June 23rd, 2009 3:48 pm ET

What Ed did there was none better. Carson wouldn't have anything but the best. Its funny you can quote Arthur Godfrey.

Candace Ion   June 23rd, 2009 3:49 pm ET

I remember watching "The Tonight Show" with my parents when I was quite alot younger and on summer break from school. That was the only reason that I could stay up late enough to catch Ed saying......here's Johnny! It was my favorite part of the show.
An old dance student of mine went to work for him a few years back, and she told me that he was just as kind and caring in "real life" as he appeared to be on T.V. He will be greatly missed.

RoseParvin   June 23rd, 2009 3:57 pm ET

Good men go quiet and they have spent a lifetime supporting a star! But people know they have substance and they will forever be with us when we need to belive in humanity and not the showmanship that comes between us as human beings and makes us lonlier by far!

Rick Zaner   June 23rd, 2009 4:11 pm ET

Im real sad today....At 50 years old, I feel i have lost a member of my family. I remember The Tonight show as a kid and every Jerry Lewis telethon.... and there was Ed! Somehow, no matter what was goin on in the world....Ed had a way of making you forget the bad things, and smile and appreciate the good things. Right now Heaven is opening its gates to the sounds of Heeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrs ED! Rest in peace Ed!

Janice Carta   June 23rd, 2009 4:17 pm ET

I to am saddened by the death of Ed McMahon. I loved the tonight
show with Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon. They were a perfect
match. I still miss that show. I agree it was sad about him almost
losing his house. It showed the vulnerability of showbiz life. It's not
always what it seems.

Phil Austin   June 23rd, 2009 4:48 pm ET

I remember Ed McMahon as a clown. Yes, a real clown on a show called Circus Big Top in the era of around 1949-52. He was the kids favorite. He came to meet kids in personal appearances all the time. He was super. When show went off the air, it left a big hole in Philadelphia's saturday TV shows. I will never forget Clarabelle the Clown.

Ron   June 23rd, 2009 4:52 pm ET

After Johnny passed away I remember Ed in an interview where he said Johnny Carson didn't like him getting all the laughs. He said that if he went too far Johnny would give him a certain kind of a look and that was for Ed to cut it out. He said that if he went past that Johnny would get mad at him. All through the story McMahon was laughing. If you look at the old clips McMahon was pretty funny.

Alan Jay   June 23rd, 2009 5:07 pm ET

Rosie O'Donnell started on Ed's Star Search. His daughter saw her at a comedy club. Introduced herself as Ed's daughter looking for talent for the show. Rosie thought, "Yea, sure." The rest is history.

I still remember Ed being asked about Hosts that filled in for Johnny. He said he was surprised that James Bond's Roger Moore was the most shy and nervous Guest Host and that Bill Cosby was the meanest guest host behind the scenes. Cosby treated Ed as some lowly peon who should stay out of Bill's way or else and make sure his coffee is hot. lol

In my opinion, I believe Ed worked to hard at the end to pay off the $20 million he owed the IRS. He was once worth 100s of millions but I guess too many divorces and in California the wives always get half.

Rest in peace Ed.

Mandy   June 23rd, 2009 6:26 pm ET

Johnny Carson wouldn't have been as successful as he was without Ed McMahon.

Roy   June 23rd, 2009 6:32 pm ET

Everyone is now commenting on how great Ed McMahon was. Funny that no one was there to help him out when he was about to lose his house! All anyone wanted was to take advantage of him... SHAME

James from TN   June 23rd, 2009 7:21 pm ET

I'm not old enough to remember Johnny Carson but I first saw Ed on Star Search and who can forget the commercial from publisher's clearing house. As a child I wanted to be on Star Search but, I wasn't meant to be a star. One thing I can say about Ed is he had a way to make you believe what he believe and for a guy like Ed . I think following in his footsteps wouldn't be so bad. God Bless Ed McMahon, we'll see you on the other side.

Kumar   June 23rd, 2009 8:53 pm ET

How does sen McCain feel if Iranian governement

had said something about GBush and Gore election

Sanaz   June 23rd, 2009 9:05 pm ET

maybe Senator McCain should learn to say " Iran" correctly first before he makes comments about that country!!!!

angela   June 23rd, 2009 9:06 pm ET

Obama is correct, what does Mccain want another war yet?

angela   June 23rd, 2009 9:09 pm ET

Do these politicians ever thing about just the logistics? We dont have an endless supply of soilders to send in all around the world to hot spots to uphold our values. How idealistic

bartley   June 23rd, 2009 9:11 pm ET

McCain needs to be quiet and let the president run our country and quit being a sore loser.

Edy   June 23rd, 2009 9:11 pm ET

Sen. McCain, just like ex-pres Bush, would have us at war with Iran. So glad he is not our President. I can't even watch Fox News anymore for their bashing our president.......so glad McCain is not THE president

Peggy S   June 23rd, 2009 9:12 pm ET

Why did Jon & Kate renew their vows last season???

Sherri   June 23rd, 2009 9:12 pm ET

The people did not vote for McCain because we didn't want him at the helm at a time like this. We wanted someone with common sense not blood lust.

Shawn Buckhanan   June 23rd, 2009 9:13 pm ET

I am an Arizonan and I appreciate Senator McCain's opinions about our President. McCain run Arizona and get us straight first!

Hazel   June 23rd, 2009 9:14 pm ET

John Mccain needs to realize he lost,it time to move on.. Wht get invole in aotner countery when we cannot fix whats wrong with us here in america

Brett Getter   June 23rd, 2009 9:15 pm ET

Senator McCain has this thing about reciting history. As big a fan of history myself (as well as understanding its implications) I have to think that there is a simple miscalculation. The fact that the world is so much more interonnected that it was when these moments in history (refrenced by the Senator) occured that today's approach must be much less self-centered and very mindfull of the future implications of our allies (or potential allies).

AliG   June 23rd, 2009 9:15 pm ET

How can Obama even fadem opening dialogue with this Regime? Long live Neda...

Edy   June 23rd, 2009 9:15 pm ET

Renee Lierly   June 23rd, 2009 9:16 pm ET

McCain: This is the man singing "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb...Bomb, Bomb Iran!!!" Now he is for the human rights of the Iranian people????
He picks the side that benefits his agenda, he does not have the best interest on the brave Iranian people in mind!

Edy   June 23rd, 2009 9:16 pm ET

Now, as for Jon and Kate–From the first show, I thought Jon should kiss Kate goodbye for the way she treated him. She was ALWAYS right and he was ALWAYS wrong. I am surprised it took him ten years to see this. But for the children's sake, I pray the best for all ten.

Xavier   June 23rd, 2009 9:17 pm ET

McCain's obvious "still sore" interview with you Larry, confirms why myself and millions of my fellow Americans gave our vote to the obvious smarter and more couthed man! It's just pitiful that he didn't learn from the mistakes of the last presidency that we need to reserve provocation as long as we possibly can.

Yvespal   June 23rd, 2009 9:19 pm ET

As Americans we and our president should speak up and condemn suppression of freedom of speech and assembly in Iran and the killing of protesters instead of playing it safe.

Dominic   June 23rd, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Will the congress and senate in support of Iran, wear green ties this week? Everyone you count you can't count on. Can we show our support for the Iranian people by wearing some sort of green apparel for their dilema.

Mark j Hankins   June 23rd, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Right! Ask the warmongerer, mccain why his former boss, who kept him out of prison , from the Savings&Loan scandal, 'why when the largest freedom and democracy movement took place in China, neither mccain nor his boss, bush(41) did a thing! Too busy making plans for their Carlyle Investment Group..google 'trading with enemy act' 'prescott bush'

US Marine Veteran

Erica   June 23rd, 2009 9:27 pm ET

I would like to know how Senator McCain thinks Obama is supposed to repair it's foreign relations which were brutally destroyed by the Republicans if he presumes to interfere in the election processes of soverein nations.? Didn't the US interfere in regimes of two 'other nations' already... and how sucessfull was that!. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. In the interests if National security, Obama is in no position to take a position which may exact of reaction from the Iranian Regime, possibly insiting further violence towards USA , not to mention against the the Iranian protestors themselves. The Supreme Ruler is bursting at the seams to blame US for the inevidable sh**t storm that's going to happen if the protests don't stop. Obama is doing the right thing by distancing himself from the politics and speaking in terms of the protrests and human rights issues. They are two different issues.

Edy   June 23rd, 2009 9:28 pm ET

Did anyone notice that today the reporters were even critizing the First Dog? Help, help, help--people act like the Bush family was perfect. One thing though, George Bush presents a better person that his v-pres, Dick Cheney, who apparently just LOVES the spotlight.

Guy Noire   June 23rd, 2009 9:30 pm ET

Senatro Mc Cain got it wrong the president is doing ther right thing. making it clear that we are not medling is important to restorefiath in amrica. I watched my government support a regime the Shah aaginst the will of the people then supported Sadam and instigated him to wage war against The Iranian . The people of Iran do not have short memory as assmumed . President Obama is on track and when the time comes if he has to be forcefull he wil not hesitate

Andrea   June 23rd, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Ed was great but seriously, what does McCain think about NOT helping the people in Darfur?

Dodie ~ California   June 23rd, 2009 9:34 pm ET

I will always remember Eds introduction of Johnny Carson as a child... I would hear...

Heressssssssssssssssss Johnny!!!

Ed was A wonderful man! Very Sad about his death!

angela   June 23rd, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Where is the same type of chemistry on any current shows?

Terry Marvin, Dallas, Texas   June 23rd, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Tuesday, June 23, 2009–8:28 pm

Hiya,
I remember watching "The Tonight Show' several times. I didn't like it when Johnny Carson left. After he left, I really didn't watch "The Tonight Show" hardly anymore.
I always liked Ed McMahon's signature introduction "Heerres Johnny", that was really neat when he said that. Ed McMahon was a great sidekick for Johnny Carson. He will really be missed.

Dodie ~ California   June 23rd, 2009 9:36 pm ET

@ Renee Lierly

Well stated!

Deanierose   June 23rd, 2009 9:37 pm ET

I remember Ed from the Publishers Clearing House giveaways...he made a nice career in Hollywood...kind of like a historic version of todays Ryan Seacrest. Rest in peace Mr. McMahon.

Kevin   June 23rd, 2009 9:37 pm ET

Well Ed and Johnny influenced Dewey Hughes whom sponsored Petey Greene. He was learned by the Tonite Show so they help a black man come up. Their is nothing wrong with that. I may not be a watcher of the tonite Show but Petey Greene movie paid great respect to the show. He was right because during that time many people were pure white and pure black. Petey Greene pure black but the movie showed how blacks are different but that what makes the world go around.

jose   June 23rd, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Let's not forget his Korean War service as a Marine F4U Corsair fighter/bomber pilot.

Tim Arnold   June 23rd, 2009 9:39 pm ET

Ed McMahon was one of the best beer salesmen of all time. He was Budweiser's spokesman, on-camera and voice over, for many years, and helped make "When You Say Budweiser, You've Said It All," one of the all-time best advertising campaigns. His relationship with Anheuser-Busch, facilitate by the legendary D'Arcy Advertising, in St. Louis, was an example of the right guy for the job. Ed was a man's man, a great guy, and a significant factor in Budweiser's rise to the world's best-selling beer.

tumbler   June 23rd, 2009 9:41 pm ET

we are in deep trouble. the us doesnot have the will too take out the iran regime once and 4 all. u have to confront them with all your might. sanctions wont work. we are pathetic .its only a matter of time before we are hit. this president is too naive, to think all these countrys in the middle are our friends. only isreal is, we have a special relationship,anglo saxon nations. barack obamas thinking is terribly dangerous. these terrorists and sponsor nations can see this.what will this so called great naton do. once were hit . we probabably will be anarchy . and america will be blamed across the world . and yet we could have stop the head of the snake iran. but u blame america for all the worlds trouble.what is taking place for many years now is that we are close too the great tribulation as spoken from our bibles , believe it or not. watch world events

wayne   June 23rd, 2009 9:42 pm ET

While I respect Mr. McCain's views, he is out of step with the views of most Americans. Iran is a sovereign nation and as such, we have no right to interfere with their election process,no matter how flawed. As an African -American, I am tired of hearing about the ideals upon which this country was founded. Not so long ago, Blacks in this country were fire-hosed, beaten, and killed in their pursuit of justice and equality. I don't recall any sovereign nation coming to our defense. Instead,like the young Iranians, we protested peacefully and eventually,this country did the right thing. Let's allow the Iranian government to do the same.

Michael Pierce   June 23rd, 2009 9:44 pm ET

A special part of my youth involves The Tonight Show. My grandmother–I called her Aunt Blanche–loved watching Johnny and Ed interact with each other. When they would be in the middle of one of thier bits, she'd give that deadpan look and say, "Ed's drunk." I remember vividly when they'd do the Carnack bit where Ed would say that the questions had been left on a porch of Funk and Wagnols in a mayoniase jar!!!! Many memories come to my mind.

angela   June 23rd, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Don Rickles just lights up Larry's face everytime!

Chris Johnson   June 23rd, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Don't forget the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Ed McMahon helped with that for years.

Dodie ~ California   June 23rd, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Larry:

My comments on Jon & Kate ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You can use the air time for a much better cause... Iran, DPRK, global warming, starving children all over the world... etc... etc

Good... get divorced and be done with it. UGH!!!

Fred Nerfganger   June 23rd, 2009 9:46 pm ET

It wasn't Publishers Clearing House..It was American Family Publishers

Ginny Holscher Del Lago   June 23rd, 2009 9:47 pm ET

I went to High School with Linda McMahon (Ed's Daughter) at Mary Immaculate High School in Ossining NY

One of the greatest moments of my life was when Ed Mc Mahon came backstage during our performance of Mame ( I played Mame Dennis and Linda played my daugher-in-law) Imagine being congratulated by Ed McMahon – who seemed to be 7 feet tall to me!!!

Linda was a really awesome person – a tribute to the dad that Ed was.

I tell everyone that Ed got his idea for Star Search from seeing Mame – I know it's not true – just a fantasy

But as one High School kid who Ed McMahon "wowed" – I am so sad that he is gone.

Catherine   June 23rd, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Ed McMahon was with American Family NOT Publisher's Clearing House. He was with AF for years.

Stone Wallace   June 23rd, 2009 9:48 pm ET

We have no reason to feel sorrow for Ed, only for ourselves as we lose another irreplaceable link to the golden days of television history.

Brian H   June 23rd, 2009 9:49 pm ET

I always thought that exploding sheep Carnak skit was mis-written. The answer should have been, "Siss-baa-BOOM!". Then Ed asks, "Don't you mean "Siss-Boom-Bah? " and Carnak answers, "No, Siss-baa-BOOM!" - then opens the envelope.

Brian   June 23rd, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Ed will be missed – especially as the Jerry Lewis Telethon approaches.. it will not be the same this year without Ed giving Jerry the new toteboard totals

Keith   June 23rd, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Larry mentioned that Ed was spokesman for Publishers Clearing House.
he was not. It was American Family Puiblishers, an entirely
different organization. Similar yes, different though.

Bonnie   June 23rd, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Ed and Johnny really complemented each other very well. They worked together for a long time and were good with each other.
RIP!

tvine   June 23rd, 2009 9:53 pm ET

At 55 years of age, I grew up with Ed, figuratively. It seems as if
my entire childhood and early adulthood were punctuated by
his clarion call for Johnny's entrance to the set.

For a reason I cannot entirely explain, I am deeply saddened by
this loss – perhaps more so than is even called for. But I should
not be surprised - I feel this way whenever someone who
influenced my childhood passes on. Jackie Gleason, Don Knotts.................the list goes on.

Thanks Ed, for many many years of great company. May you rest
in great peace.

Bill Lampton, Ph.D.   June 23rd, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Somewhere, within recent hours, Johnny Carson was heard to say, with great gusto: "And now. . . .heeeeeeeere's Ed!"

Wish I had known Ed McMahon personally, yet–like many who watched him countless times–I feel that I did.

Thanks, Larry, for your excellent tribute.

Paul Nye   June 23rd, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Jon & Kate's mistake was putting their children before their marriage. They didn't marry their children. They married each other. Saying they'll do anything for their children is very noble, but very unhealthy for a successful marriage.

Susan in Alabama   June 23rd, 2009 9:57 pm ET

I grew up in New York watching The Tonight Show with Johnny and Ed. It was TV magic. They played off each other so well. Every funnyman needs a straight man, and Ed was Johnny's. When the reins were passed, I stopped watching, because nobody could top what they created. I was so sad when Johnny died, and I'm just as sad with Ed's passing. Thanks so much for all the wonderful, hilarious moments, and may you both rest in peace.

Dodie ~ California   June 23rd, 2009 9:58 pm ET

Is the jon and kate stuff over???

Dodie ~ California   June 23rd, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Awe Larry!

Lets move on to something more important than kate/jon... How about JOhn McCain?

Judith   June 23rd, 2009 10:02 pm ET

WE loved Ed McMahon.We always enjoyed seeing him with Jerry Lewis Labor Weekend.Blessings to his family

Susan in Alabama   June 23rd, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Also, thank you, Larry, for the great tribute to Ed and for the terrific guests you chose to accompany this. You are a terrific interviewer, and your show is always very interesting and entertaining. You show how much you care.

Susan in Alabama   June 23rd, 2009 10:07 pm ET

I love what Bill Lampton said. "Heeeere's Ed!" So true. Johnny and Ed are together again!

Carol Levy   June 23rd, 2009 10:08 pm ET

My husband and I will miss Ed McMahon very much. He was a big part of our lives for 30 years.

I remember as a child, always watching the Tonight Show before I went to bed, Ed interaction with Johnny was a classic, especially during the Carnac sketch.

I will always remember him as Jerry Lewis's sidekick during the MDAA telethon. He was so great and a great philanthropist.

Our condolences to his wife and family. My they be comforted in this time of sorrow.

harry   June 23rd, 2009 10:27 pm ET

John McCain is a very jealous man, jealous people do not live long...what Pres Obama has, McCain ain't got ....

jack   June 23rd, 2009 10:39 pm ET

All people who support Obama (and I count myself among them) should encourage him and the real Democrats that want, at least, a public option to a health care plan to keep pushing hard for this. The greedy insurance companies are fighting tooth and nail to keep taking our money and providing no, or substandard health care. Those 8 or so members of Congress , who are false Democrats, and against a public option, should be marked well. They are recipients of insurance blood money, and should be voted out if they vote against a public option. Please let them know how tenuous their hold to power is, and how we the people can unseat them if they do us dirty by working against those who support universal health care or at least a public option plan. Forget most of the GOP, all most of them will do is take insurance money, whine, and obstruct.. The" just say no party"

jack   June 23rd, 2009 10:45 pm ET

Maybe Ed and Johnny should have switched places, as Ed seemed the more talented , and certainly the warmer of the two. Not to say that Johnny wasn't very talented too.

Jeremiah Lyles   June 23rd, 2009 10:49 pm ET

I cannot believe that this has happened. He did make some of the defining moments in TV with Carson memorable.
I enjoyed every bit of it but to see him derided as a professional as bad. In the entertainment business not everything is available to everyone that is in it and the compounding of a career, from whatever beginnings is not always guaranteed. For many entertainers that are sensible, they take whatever fame that is given and are satisfied with that.
Ed was great at what he did, and as a sidekick, like many Marines, he was always there when he was needed.
Semper Fi

Phil   June 23rd, 2009 10:53 pm ET

Mr. McMahon will definitely be missed. He was a consummate professional who worked tirelessly throughout his career. Probably the best "second banana" in the business. It is sad to see so many of the entertainers for us over 50 who are no longer with us. Mr. Severinsen is still here, thank God, but the day that Johnny Carson left us is the the day that television died. The talent today is just not there. David Letterman is a very good talent, Jay Leno is an average talent, and Conan O'brien is, at best, mediocre. None of them can compare with "The Tonight Show" starring Johnny Carson.

donald L allen   June 24th, 2009 12:24 am ET

way do this happing well JOHN McCAIN I said I wood like to met you yes I,M a artes that is the life I Live like you may like to do sumting you like and I,M a bad man I Like to recher and I Like to well I have A degActing in television well mabe I cood do the commerciaals you no what I say that is one thing but I have a buisness that is gitting no were I have allways tryd to look out four the least that need it like I wood right a letter to help up in the US house of this country you no but I wood stille like to met or send you email well I trid to to day but I must have not got to the right site well you can tell me what sit to go to now if you please thank you verry much Donald L Allen see you larry king JOHN

rj cake   June 24th, 2009 12:24 am ET

john still waiting for answer to question regarding iranian resentment of u.s. in reference to u.s. backing iraq

jack r   June 24th, 2009 12:36 am ET

Regarding senator mccain.....I. am still. Waiting for the answer to the iran/iraq was question,and wondering what the hell lenin has to do with u.s. involvement in that was....

Matthew Beirne   June 24th, 2009 12:37 am ET

I am as angry and disturbed by the images emerging from Iran as anyone. The video of Neda will be forever etched in my memory. However, it is clear that the Republicans are using this tumultuous time as a means of gaining political points against the president. i.e. Republicans care, the US president does not.

I find it a bit hypocritical that Senator McCain emphasizes the need for the US to stand up for those who are oppressed and murdered in the streets, yet he and many others in congress turned a blind eye to numerous other brutally oppressive dictatorships in the world in recent years. This includes Darfur, Rwanda, and other African nations.

Yes, the US needs to be supportive, yet we must think first and respond using a measured coordinated approach involving other nations, not coming in with guns blazing like the previous administration.

Esteban   June 24th, 2009 12:38 am ET

Show us when Carson ate the ALPO – Hilarious – They just don't make a team like that anymore......

Jim Klein, Newport Beach, CA   June 24th, 2009 12:50 am ET

I had the opportunity to work with Ed on several occasions and found him to be a genuine, kind and generous person. All those who got to see this side of Ed were very lucky. I will miss him. My sympathies to his family.

Adrian Jefferson   June 24th, 2009 3:40 am ET

I loved the Tonight show with the watery trinity of Johnny,Ed and Doc. it was like H2O, take any thing away and you don't have that flow. I think it was the best TV, and nothing today can touch it. True Johnny was the star but with out Ed and Doc it would not have been the same. They were the perfect combination. GB you Ed where ever you are.
TheGr8Jeff

Tony Hawaii   June 24th, 2009 5:10 am ET

I have been turning off CNN since they started creating news, McCain is a senator who lost a presidential election, I never seen someone who lost an election get so much air time. Their is a reason he lost, he now wants to bomb bomb Iran, please remind him how we ended up in Iraq and how is that democracy working out. Please remind McCain first you should know how many houses he own before he starts talking about politics. Its time for Bushes evil twin brother and his old ways of thinking to shut up, and its time for CNN to stop imitating Fox news, President Obama has only been in the White House for less then 6 months, get off his back, he did not create this mess, you can give Bush and Dick that credit. You never questioned Bush on Iraq. Start doing your job report the news don't try to create controversy.

Mike   June 24th, 2009 5:24 am ET

Senator McCain is a crossdressing war monger

Mike   June 24th, 2009 5:26 am ET

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
I have been turning off CNN since they started creating news, McCain is a senator who lost a presidential election, I never seen someone who lost an election get so much air time. Their is a reason he lost, he now wants to bomb bomb Iran, please remind him how we ended up in Iraq and how is that democracy working out. Please remind McCain first you should know how many houses he own before he starts talking about politics. Its time for Bushes evil twin brother and his old ways of thinking to shut up, and its time for CNN to stop imitating Fox news, President Obama has only been in the White House for less then 6 months, get off his back, he did not create this mess, you can give Bush and Dick that credit. You never questioned Bush on Iraq. Start doing your job report the news don’t try to create controversy

Jackie   June 24th, 2009 5:42 am ET

I can not understand why everyone seems to forgot all of Ed's chartiable contributions giving of his time and himself to MDA and other worthy causes. I have not heard this mentioned on any news station including Larry King Live. Where is Jerry Lewis? Ed Mc Mahon carried the Telethon when Jerry Lewis could not. Ed McMahon should be remembered for his chartiable works as well as being a famous sidekick!

Mike   June 24th, 2009 5:42 am ET

Why are we worried about a bunch of rag heads in Iraq and Iran we should be more worried about our homeless.

Jackie   June 24th, 2009 5:55 am ET

I can not understand why everyone seems to forget all of Ed’s charitable contributions giving of his time and himself to MDA and other worthy causes. I have not heard this mentioned on any news station including Larry King Live. Where is Jerry Lewis? Ed Mc Mahon carried the Telethon when Jerry Lewis could not. Ed McMahon should be remembered for his charitable works as well as being a famous sidekick!

Tony   June 24th, 2009 5:55 am ET

. June 24th, 2009 5:26 am ET

I have been turning off CNN since they started creating news, McCain is a senator who lost a presidential election, I never seen someone who lost an election get so much air time. Their is a reason he lost, he now wants to bomb bomb Iran, please remind him how we ended up in Iraq and how is that democracy working out. Please remind McCain first you should know how many houses you own before he starts talking about politics. Its time for McCain and his old ways of thinking to shut up, and its time for CNN to stop imitating Fox news, President Obama has only been in the White House for less then 6 months, get off his back, he did not create this mess, you can give Preident Bush that credit. You never questioned Bush on Iraq. Start doing your job report the news don’t try to create controversy

I

Sandra Grauschopf   June 24th, 2009 6:35 am ET

Larry, I loved your segment on Ed McMahon. I'm sorry that you lost a friend, for his family, and for all of us who lost such a big influence in the entertainment business.

I also really liked how you covered your own feelings here in the blog, and allowed your guests to speak their minds on your show. You do an amazing job of not interjecting yourself into your interviews, and I really respect that.

One small quibble, though: I was disappointed to see you perpetrate the myth that Ed McMahon worked for Publisher's Clearing House on your show. He never did, he worked for competitor American Family Publishers.
You wouldn't like people to say you were famous for your show on, say, Fox News, would you? ;)

Mark P. Ginsburg   June 24th, 2009 5:19 pm ET

Very sad to learn of Ed McMahon's passing. He was a true showman and a plus to JOhnny Carson.
Of of his greatest virtues was his work for Muscular Dystrophy, as he worked each year with Jerry Lewis on the Labor Day Telethon. This was courageous, and a true sign of the giving that this man did for society.
He will truly be missed.
My condolences and best wishes to the McMahon family.

Mark P. ginsburg   June 24th, 2009 5:20 pm ET

Hi Larry: I enjoy you and your show always. Just wanted to say how sad it is to have lost such an icon of show business. Besides working as Johnny Carson's sidekick for many years, Ed worked with Jerry Lewis on his Annual Labor Day Telethon. I admired Ed for his steadfastness, and his ability to motivate people to give more than they may have previously done.
He will always be a legend of show business, but, his legacy in giving back for causes that affect all of us will never be forgotten.
My sincerest condolences to the McMahon family.

Jim Palmer   June 24th, 2009 11:40 pm ET

I grown up watching Mr. McMahon since the 1980s and back then TV was amazingly all that. It's going be hard for the entertainment world move on without dear ol' Edward and I'm really worried about how the MDA Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon will keep going without him on board.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter