CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 23, 2009

BREAKING NEWS – Ed McMahon has died

Posted: 12:59 PM ET

Ed McMahon, the longtime pitchman and Johnny Carson sidekick whose "Heeeeeeerre's Johnny!" became a part of the vernacular, has died.

McMahon passed away peacefully shortly after midnight at the Ronald Reagan/UCLA Medical Center, his publicist, Howard Bragman, said Tuesday

McMahon, 86, was hospitalized in February with pneumonia and other medical problems.

He had suffered a number of health problems in recent years, including a neck injury caused by a 2007 fall. In 2002, he sued various insurance companies and contractors over mold in his house and later collected a $7 million settlement.

Though he later hosted a variety of shows - including "Star Search" and "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes," McMahon's biggest fame came alongside Carson on "The Tonight Show," which Carson hosted from 1962 to 1992. The two met not long after Carson began hosting the game show "Who Do You Trust?" in 1957. iReport.com: Share your memories of Ed McMahon

"Johnny didn't look as if he was dying to see me," McMahon, who was hosting a show on a Philadelphia TV station, told People magazine in 1980 about the pair's first meeting. "He was standing with his back to the door, staring at a couple of workmen putting letters on a theater marquee. I walked over and stood beside him. Finally the two guys finished, and Johnny asked, 'What have you been doing?' I told him. He said, 'Good to meet you, Ed,' shook my hand, and I was out of the office. The whole meeting was about as exciting as watching a traffic light change."

CHECK OUT MORE ON THIS HERE

We'll be remembering Ed McMahon tonight on LKL!! Tune in and leave us your memories of him HERE!!

Filed under: Entertainment • Hollywood

Billie   June 23rd, 2009 4:28 pm ET

As a child of the 60's and 70's ,The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson was the preeminent talk show and set the standard for all the others to follow. Mr McMahon was an icon and a star in his own right. He will forever be linked to Americana ,due to having been Carson's sideskick,and he was a part of old Hollywood, and entertainment that can't be manufactured today. Makes one nostalgic for days gone by. Thanks for the memories, and Rest In Peace!!.

estelle   June 23rd, 2009 5:11 pm ET

hi larry, ed will be missed by everyone

Sheri   June 23rd, 2009 5:46 pm ET

I have missed Tonight Show with Ed and Johnny ever since it went off the air. I am certain I have never watched as many late night shows since. "Heeeeeeere's Johnny" was something I loved to hear every night. When I was in college, I knew I could call my grandparents collect right at the end of the eleven o"clock news and right before the Tonight Show. I knew they would be awake to watch the show. Ed was a funny guy who will be sadly missed by America.

susan mills   June 23rd, 2009 9:18 pm ET

At the beginning of my career, I used to ride on the train from Philly
into NYC, and Ed was always on the train. we got to be good friends. He was a great help at that time. He was caring and a great aid in advice, as to how and where to begin. At that time, I got to know Johnny too, and they were very kind and good people. The last time I saw Ed, was when my husband, top banana, Steve Mills ,was doing the TONITE show in NY with Ann Corio , the star of the show we were with, called THIS WAS BURLESQUE.Johnny was away that night, so Steve and Edie took over. Steve had rehearsed a scene with Steve Lawrence that day, but during the taping, they talked and laughed so much, that there was no time to do the burlesque scene. Ed said that he was sorry, and would try to re-schedule the scene.We were leaving Westbury
Music Fair the next night, so Steve couldn't tape again. But Ed was so kind to try to do this for Steve.That was Ed..very caring, kind..a really nice man.

Diana   June 23rd, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I know people everywhere will remember Mr. McMahon for being the side kick to Johnny Carson and Dick Clark; but, I will be remembering him for his show Star search. Thanks to that show I was introduce to the country music of Mark Miller and the boys otherwise known as the awesome country group Sawyer Brown.

Thanks Mr. McMahon 🙂

Matt   June 23rd, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Ed will certainly be missed, i just wish he knocked on my door!

charlotte   June 23rd, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Ed made my nights. You watched The Tonight Show for Johnny Carson but you only knew you were there when you heard Ed’s voice. Even in my kitchen, when I heard Ed, I knew I was late to The Tonight Show!

Tim Mathis   June 23rd, 2009 9:44 pm ET

I will miss Ed as he tipped me 50.00 dollars one time for carrying his luggage. we had a great conversation and a very nice man!!!

Matt Hayes   June 23rd, 2009 9:52 pm ET

I am a 40 year old male , I grew up in Joliet , IL. for mast of my life. And nothing thrilled me more than getting the oppurtunity to watch the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and his main man Ed Mcmahon.They were so genuinely funny character who appeared to love going on air just to have fun. The viewers were just along for the ride. They along with Howard Coselle raised me lingiusticly. My heart is saddened but my soul has been enlightened by his laughter, mycondolences go out to the Mcmahon family. Rest in peace my brother. F&AM, PHA

georgie   June 23rd, 2009 10:29 pm ET

he caught his 2nd wife cheating, Victoria Valentine, & that was the end of that, good for him,,

Donna   June 23rd, 2009 10:57 pm ET

Ed McMahon was an American treasure. I grew up watching Mr. McMahon on television in his various TV shows and specials. I feel like I've lost a member of my own family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Now Ed and Johnny are together again.

valerie   June 24th, 2009 8:58 am ET

This was a good man, God rest his soul. Always full of joy and nothing but smiles whenever he'd appear on television. He and Johny Carson were so good together. I'm sure heaven is having plenty of laughs now that those two are back together. RIP Ed

gerry   June 24th, 2009 6:14 pm ET

will he have a Catholic burial ?...

Judith Christensen   June 24th, 2009 9:04 pm ET

The passing of Ed McMahon makes me and our generation feel
that a very special era of our lives has passed forever. He was an
icon to the end. I still vividly remember nights in bed laughing
with him and Johhny Carson. But Larry, I did attend your very
enjoyable performance here in Las Vegas on June 19th, and
Shawn was a great surprise for great entertainment as well.
WHY didn't you or Shawn mention that the show was to benefit
the Cardiac Patients Fund? I hope that this is true. I lost a husband,
and fiancee to this terrible disease. I know you have been fortunate
regarding successful surgury. PLEASE tell your viewers how much
we all liked the show-I was sitting behind Steve Wynn- and that it
did add to this great charity. We would all feel rewarded. Thanks

Mike   June 24th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

Pandering to sex instead of respect for a self described "friend" (Ed McMahon). Don't advertise that which you do not air.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter