CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 19, 2009

TONIGHT ON LKL: Prom Night in Washington

Posted: 02:28 PM ET

Tonight is the Radio and Television Correspondents Association dinner in Washington.art.obamadinner.gi

Everybody's who's anybody in DC will be there, but we'll be focusing on one person in particular.

Pres. Obama is scheduled to speak this evening at the dinner.  These speeches are typically very funny, and we've got a very funny panel to tell us how he did.  Penn Jillette and Mo Rocca will be among the guests.

Plus, we'll have the latest on the situation in Iran.

And of course, we want to hear from you (although not until after the speech):

What do you think about Pres. Obama's speech at the RTCA dinner?

Filed under: Larry King Live • President Barack Obama

Gary Chandler in Canada   June 19th, 2009 4:04 pm ET

It is more than hilarious the Rainbow Coalition is expressing regrets about voting for Obama, after getting same sex rights for federal governement employees.
Are they saying McCain/Palin would have been better for them?
[Double Income No Kids – it's all about the money for them, drain the coffers more for THEIR benefit.]
The BIGGER joke is y'all have a 2 Party System!
There are at least 3, more likely 4, Parties in America.
[Liberals, Dems, Repugs, and Conservatives]

Dodie ~ California   June 19th, 2009 5:27 pm ET

((And of course, we want to hear from you (although not until after the speech)): ............. (( lol )) The CNN staff is really funny! Love your wit and humor! You must need it working on this blog 🙂 You guys have me laughing!

Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada   June 19th, 2009 7:24 pm ET

As far as I am concerned Barack Obama cannot do or say anything wrong. Barack Obama is a intelectual, interesting and captivating individual. Bottom line the man is brilliant...:)

Bo   June 19th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

Don't we have the coolest President??

Bill Downey   June 19th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Dear Larry, Good show..watch it in Borneo ( Brunei). Not to put to fine point on it but we all have to leave this Earth. In response to your competition ( book prize) .
Question :- how would you respond to the inevitable media coverage
( newspaper headlines etc) to "Larry King Dead"...the media will of course do this as that's the way they are (cynical)? Just wondering if you wanted to do a "Eul Brenner" on this one? Dare you!
Kind Regards. Bill ( avid and admiring viewer for many years)

Bill Downey   June 19th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Follow up; sorry my E mail address was spelt wrongly on the previous message ...there is an "e" in downey. Thanks, Bill

Mark Langford   June 19th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Loved the Presidents speech. Witty. I agree the car joke was very funny, now all kidding aside, lets get serious about automobile industry.

Revolutionary electric car charging system could make hybrid cars obsolete before their time. After talking with the Inventor, Mark Langford, Dave Howell of the US Department of Energy said "This design could be worth Billions."

Mr. Langford is a Honorably Discharged, Disabled American Veteran. He is a college graduate with a degree in science. Unfortunatly, as a result of health problems, he is on Social Security. He has been working on his design when he can. It has taken him a little over 3 years to complete.

This revolutionary charging system will allow an all electric car to drive from New York to California, without having to stop to recharge and without burning any gas (No Gas Engine). The new design allows for a 6 passenger car to run about 3,000 miles without stopping to recharge.

The American Car Companies are afraid of this innovative technology, as it will render their newest Hybrid designs obsolete.

Just as computer technology has evolved at a rapid pace, so has the technology for Electric Cars.

After all, if you had a choice between a hybrid which needs charging for 6 to 8 hours almost every night... or an electric car which has a range of about 3000 miles, which would you drive?

Mr. Howell of the US Department of Energy is very excited about this new design.

The Inventor, Mark Langford, has a US Patent Pending.

Rick   June 19th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

I think the president should take over for Conan.

vivienne sinkow   June 19th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Wolfe michelle and the Obamam, kids were also in London. In fact she spent time with the Browns whilst thre

Bettina Brown   June 19th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

I don't think Obama is 1/2 as good as your commentators are saying. I get so sick of this Obama adulation from the liberal media. And I get sick of a president criticizing a cable news channel (Fox). Fox is the only network that doesn't slobber over obama continually and obama just can't stand it!

Felica (Georgia)   June 19th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

The comedy gig was okay. Wolf was wrong about London. The Obama girls and mother flew to Paris, and later had a private tour of Buckingham Palace in London.

W Ketchem   June 19th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Very funny! I think he is the best president in my 63 years.

I enjoy seeing him doing something different each day.

Also, on another matter, he returns the salute to the soldier at the bottom of the stairs of aircraft. That shows respect the the soldier.

justin   June 19th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

I think it's funny how well President Obama has humor unlike his predecessors. Quick ? though for you guest Mo Wolf..."does he try to look like Bruno or is it a mere coincidence?

Linda   June 19th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Wolfe

I really enjoy your hosting tonight.
The President was funny, I agree with Penn even though 1-2 jokes I didn't quite understand it was funny just in his delivery. I am from California, so I did like the Arnold joke. Good groups of guests to go along with this topic tonight.

B G Cocanougher   June 19th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

This President proves how important it is to make a speech, although he is turning out to be a big disapointment and I think he will bury the democratic party as more people who voted for him come to terms with who this man really is. He is spendingt this country into big trouble, I wish he had more experience to deal with our countries. I think we are in for big problems with this President and what he is planning.

Katharine   June 19th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

I would have voted for Obama if I could but u weren't taking the Canadian vote. It is great to see a President who cares about people & one who knows he is human like the rest of us. Obama always shows such class & that tends to be rare in a politician. It is wonderful to see such a wonderful first family. As a Canadian I'm just a bit jealous.

Katharine
Surrey, B.C.,
Canada

Dodie ~ California   June 19th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

President Obama is funny, witty, extraordinarily intelligent not to mention very capable. When he is tired of being our president, he would make a good comedian! This president has had to deal with more issues than any other president I have seen in my lifetime, Kennedy being a very close second.

President Obama is definitely a president, of the people, for the people and voted by the people!

(( Finally we have a president I am not embarrassed of )).

Dodie ~ California   June 19th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

@ Katharine

You are cute!

Dodie ~ California   June 19th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

@ B G Cocanougher

All countries are spending billions and China a trillion dollars to boost their economy. All the countries agreed, we needed this. That is what we learned from the depression in the 1930s.

As far as world politics... you really should watch CCTV (central china TV) if you want to know what the world is thinking. The news in China has stated numerous times that Obama is bridging the gap the USA built during the Bush era.

He is wise as he is staying out of Iran! He is wise as he did not go off the deep end with Korea. China has already called a conference with South Korea, Japan and the DPRK to stop nuclear testing by the DPRK.

He is not perfect! He will make mistakes! But I believe he is doing his best. Everyone needs to know that its ugly in Washington and always dirty politics backed by the huge corporations. We need to give him time...

Judith   June 19th, 2009 10:06 pm ET

President Obama is a great man.

I said it before the election and I'll say it again he Thinks before he Speaks unlike John McCain who would be a do First then Think later kind of President.

President Obama is the type when needed he will think nothing about showing his strength.This is what ones call Strong.

Too bad the GOPs are a Party of No to Everything he says.Our Country
has been sick for a long time and with all that is happening it's sad that the GOPs do not want to work with a President that can make America a better place while trying hard to bring Peace with the World.

Remember folks we were in debt before Obama took over and we either pay now or generations to come will pay dearer later.We can't fix our Country with buttons and we do need Health Care just like
ex President Bush has health care that is Run by the goverment
along with a Pension Run by the Goverment and
has Secret Service People Run by the Goverment.
People that I know that works for the Goverment loves their Health Care that is Run by the Goverment while the Party of No twists it saying the American People do not want Goverment to Run their Health Care.Pure Noncents.

God Bless America and Keep our President Obama Safe!

Judith   June 19th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

Vivienne Sinko Michelle was in London without the children because grandmother had watch them in DC due to School but they did go to France because they had off for the summer.

Tomi Rae Brown   June 20th, 2009 12:40 am ET

Good Luck at your opening in Las Vegas. James Brown II and I are living in Vegas now and so I hope to make it out to see you and youir wife perform. Thanks again for having me on your show at such a difficult time in my life. Thankfully at last James Brown will be put to rest and his wishes are being fullfilled. It was a long fight and it is not over yet. Although the truth has finally come out. No one can deny me as his widow now that the courts have found everything i said to be true. even though no one seems to want to report the courts findings that I am LEGALLY and always have been just as I said Mrs. James Brown. Its funny to me that everyone wanted to put me on the air when it was in question and I was in pain.but now no one cares to follow up and tell the real story.That I was the only one that didnt lie and you were the only one that gave me the chance and let me tell the world that I was his wife and that I was going to fight for him and our son and my own dignity and respect. So THANK YOU for giving it to me and our son. I only wish that I could tell you in person. After all you believed in me when no one else did. But why is it still so hard for people to respect. I thought Obama was a sign of tolerance and growth but it seems that it is still very much a black and white issue.OR the news only reports the tragedy and doesn't care for the triumphs of people like us. Love and Peace from Tomi Rae Brown and James BrownII.

Sherri Wilson   June 20th, 2009 3:20 am ET

I personally think it's ridiculous how grown people are swooning over this man like teenage girls. He didn't even write his little comedy routine, are you guys serious? It's really too much! Get over him already.

Myra   June 20th, 2009 3:46 am ET

Overall, I think President Obama was funny, although I think some of the jokes didn't go over as well as he would have liked. It is unfortunate that people who voted for him are beginning to complain so early in his term. He hasn't been President 6 months yet and everybody seems to have a complaint and every "cause" wants him to keep his campaign promise right now. First, people complained that he was doing too much, now he's not doing enough–or at least he's not doing it as fast as they would like. I wish people would give the man a fair chance.

I am very proud of our President and how hard he is working. He came in to the position with so much on his plate and he's still working at so many different problems. Some of his jokes eluded to this fact, so I'm glad he can laugh about it. I have noticed how the gray in his hair has increased since he became President. It's a tough job and I suspect none of the people complaining could do as well, let alone any better.

It's nice to have a President who seems comfortable with the American people and conducts himself like a "person" and not an icon. Even though the media has referred to him as a celebrity, he is actually the most personable leader we've had in a long time. Some seems to see him as arrogant, but I see him as just the opposite. Maybe it's because they don't understand the swagger and sway of a confident Black man. 🙂

Enough said, great job President Obama. Keep it up and keep the faith.

Alex (Aliso Viejo)   June 20th, 2009 3:47 am ET

I think President Obama was great. I do agree we have a lot of serious stuff going on around America however, it doesn't pay to cry and mop about it all the time. A good laugh now and then is as good as any medicine. Laughters reset our mood, reboot our brain and recharge us to move on. Working hard is good but we need to relax and stretch out from time to time not to get a blood clot. Don't you think, Als?

Ted   June 20th, 2009 8:38 am ET

All I have to say is: AMEN!!!
(It is an old hebrew word meaning "so should be", so you bible fans, it has nothing to do with religion!)

Demond   June 20th, 2009 1:24 pm ET

To those Obama doubters I would say give him a chance. He has been in Office exactly 5 months. No reasonable person would expect him to have solved the multitude of problem that plague not only the U.S but also the world in that short amount of time. He is doing his best and is actually working at a faster pace than most previous presidents. Usually the first six months are used to establish the cabinet members. Obama has already started tackling the economy, Iraq, Afghanistan, Gitmo, Healthcare, along with regaining the respect of other world leaders.

So just be patient and let the President do his job. He will make mistakes, we all do. But he is a President who is not afraid to admit when something needs to be readjusted or scrapped. He will do what is best for not only the U.S but what is also best for Americans.

eniola   June 20th, 2009 5:15 pm ET

His speech was that bad,
and it was quite informative

kc(Denver)   June 21st, 2009 3:49 pm ET

Why should we get over swooning over Obama. At Least we have a President we can swoon over. Unlike the previous one who made Americans cringe and moan. I think it is far time that America has had time to smile and be proud.

He's intelligent and knows how to speak in a way even a child can understand. Give the man a chance Rome was not built in a day. You gave the other guy eight years to get us where we are now.

stever   June 21st, 2009 6:31 pm ET

We have the coolest president in recent history in the USA. While he can't solve all the world's problems, he is doing his best. He is a great father and a role model for Dads.

georgette   June 21st, 2009 7:53 pm ET

Happy Father's Day Pres. Obama, Larry King, Jack Cafferty !

Linda J. Butler   June 21st, 2009 9:50 pm ET

Hi Wolf,
I love your show in the Situation Room. You are great filling in for Larry King, too.
I can't believe people are trying to push President Obama into "interfering" into IRAN AFFAIRS. Did we just not nearly crucify George Bush for "interfering" in IRAQ AFFAIRS?
Everything that everybody is saying about the Human Rights issue are all true, but the United States should not be riding their beautiful white horse in their alone. This is a United Nations issue! All of us need to be in front of the United Nations asking them all to respond to IRAN'S citizens.
I have a son in the Military. It my son has to respond to the call, I don't want to see that same crowd car bombing our troops, and demanding our military to leave....it all makes the once crying, helpless people seem so ungrateful.
Remember, it was John McCain that was one of those characters that told George Bush that they will "Welcome you as their Saviors". Now look at the mess we are in....two Wars we can hardly see our way out of!! Are you news people trying to push Obama into a third war all out there alone!
There is too much unemployment here! Too many people are without health care....Hey, I am even unemployed Masters prepared Registered Nurse! The world must come to the call! So the news people need to not make Obama a failure. You must strive for the whole world to watch and the "whole world " to respond. The United States cannot spend millions on war in IRAN too when the United States citizens here suffer.
I love a feel for the IRANIAN people, but I am not convenced that they will not turn on our United States Government Intervention and our United States troops. They show courage now, but what will they show when we show up alone, again? How much will the United States have to pay to rebuild IRAN, rebuild their infrastructure, their schools. If this is a human rights issue, LET THE WORLD RESPOND!!!!!

Linda Butler, RN, MSN, CNS

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter