CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 31, 2009

Suspect captured in killing of Wichita abortion doctor

Posted: 03:49 PM ET
By Stan Finger | Wichita Eagle

WICHITA — A suspect in the fatal shooting today of Wichita abortion provider George Tiller is in custody in Johnson County.  Tiller, the Wichita doctor who became a national lightning rod in the debate over abortion, was shot to death this morning as he walked into church services.  Tiller, 67, was shot just after 10 a.m. at Reformation Lutheran Church at 7601 E. 13th St., where he was a member of the congregation. Witnesses and a police source confirmed Tiller was the victim.

Police had been looking for a white male who was driving a 1990s powder blue Ford Taurus with Kansas license plate 225 BAB. The vehicle is registered to an owner in Merriam.  At 2 p.m. today, police in Johnson County reportedly had stopped a vehicle matching that description.  Wichita police Capt. Brent Allred said that several law enforcement agencies — including the FBI and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation — have been called in to help with the case.  Homicide detectives and Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston arrived at the church after the shooting.  What appeared to be a body was taken away in an SUV with a patrol car behind it at about 12:30 p.m.

(Read More)

Filed under: Crime • Larry King Live

Dave of Detroit   May 31st, 2009 6:58 pm ET

I was in Detroit during the 1960's riots-It was a very restless world then-Black Panthers were active on the Wayne State Campus, the inner city poor and welfare people were being taken advantage of by unscrupulous shop keepers, Heroin had just become a problem in the inner city, and student demonstrations were abounding on all campuses-plus the flight to Canada from the Viet Nam War..... In case no one has noticed, there are demonstrations erupting everywhere, Abortion has not gone away as a problem, the majority, including myself, is getting trodden underfoot, people are getting desperate from losing their homes, jobs, pensions, etc. and a lot of faith has gone into President Obama to rectify the misdeeds and mismanagement of the Bush Administration...He's running out of time!

John, San Antonio, TX   June 1st, 2009 12:19 am ET

I was raised a Roman Catholic but can see the validity of the argument on both the Pro Life and Pro Choice sides of the issue. I find it difficult to take a hard point of view in either direction but I must say that I find it difficult to understand how someone who is unwaverable in his pro choice stand can justity the killing of another human being who happens to believe as just as strongly in pro life. It just doesn't add up.

I started out in the 1960's just north of Chicago but when the events described by Dave above took place, I had been in the U.S. Army several years already (enlisted in 1961). I remember going out to one of the parade fields at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri during the riots and being trained in riot control formations. Thank goodness I was never called upon to put the training to use. Two tours in the Vietnam War and many other places around the world. I was in Frankfurt, Germany when the Bader Meinhof Group set off three bombs in and around the I.G. Farben Building (V Corps Headquarters) and was close enough to have the windows break and light fixtures fall from the ceiling. Years later on another tour in Frankfurt, my wife and I were coming from the Burger King in the PX and Commissary Compound when the same group set off a car bomb next to the gas station and dry cleaners. So, I guess I experienced those days a little differently than Dave did. Lots of anger back then and we didn't have people come up to us and thank us for our service back then. I find it strange and a bit embarrasing now to go to our Army Hospital here in San Antonio and to have young soldiers who have lost their limbs or been horribly burned come up to me and thank me for my service. There are some extremely brave young men and women serving in the uniform in which I once served. The point is that times are extremely difficult for most of us today but I haven't come to the point of looking for President Obama's failure. I am also not ready to accept the argument tht much of our problems are the fault of the Bush Administration. No one in recent history has had to deal with 9-11 or the determination of muslim jihadists to destroy us and our way of life. I'm certain President Bush could have chosen different methods of defending us against terrorist attack and he may have made some bad choices along the way but I will never accept the allegation that he is some sort of an evil being just in it for himselfs and his oil field buddies. If he were, he has done an excellent job of hiding all that wealth he is supposed to have taken for himself. In my humble opinion (and of course it is only my opinion), it is time to stop placing blame and looking for faults or misteps in the Obama Administration and start giving the President the support he will have to have to pull us thorugh these troubled times. I did not vote for President Obama but I could easily have done so and I'm sure he will make some mistakes along the way but he is a good man and deserves our support and would do much better if we were'nt throwing all the negativity his way. He didn't create all our problems alone and he will not be able to solve them alone either.

Ted   June 1st, 2009 7:59 am ET

John, San Antonio, TX
Did you ever see the bank accounts of the Bush family? You seem to be sure they did not profit from the war in Irak. I would like to have only 10% of that money and I would be set up for life.
Or did you think they will pay it into the local bank account? It is off shore someplace, no taxes paid, no charges of profiting from the death of our young soldiers. How about that!

Ted   June 1st, 2009 8:06 am ET

Now back to the death of the good doctor.
It is a shame how our country reacts to anything new, even a simple change will be criticized. Is it better to have an unwanted child, where the mother cannot support it, or her life is ruined for good, if she is a single mother. That child would pay for it rest of its life being, neglected and unwanted.
As far as the killer, hang him high.

Joann   June 1st, 2009 8:36 am ET

The murder of anybody is WRONG. Killing this doctor was wrong, but his performing late term abortions or any abortion for that matter was just as wrong. How do you separater the murder of an unborn baby with the murder of an adult? Women have the right to use birth control, get their tubes tied, say no, but they should not have the right to murder their babies.

John, San Antonio, TX   June 1st, 2009 11:24 am ET

Ted – You apparently have all the inside information as so many before you who make allegations without providing substantial proof. I could just as easily accuse you of the same crimes. But that would be silly, wouldn't it? So since you know so much about President Bush's personal finances, how about supplying the names of banks and account numbers so we all may be as well informed as yourself.

G.   June 1st, 2009 8:46 pm ET

I'm torn between Pro Life and Pro Abortion. I'm not torn about late term abortion. It's gross. Basically. In the first weeks you have cells dividing. Later, a person develops. Why not induce and deliver early for the mom's sake who is in a crisis. Put the baby in the hospital's care. Some babies survive very early and some couples want to adopt. It's costly though, the hospital care.

I am sorry that this man was murdered. Killing is wrong. That's pretty important to keep in mind.

Lisa   June 1st, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Gotta love the hypocrisy of these anti-abortion doctor killers....they are against what they believe is the killing of unborn children but think they are justified to kill the doctors. Morons!

Dodie ~ California   June 2nd, 2009 2:31 am ET

Scott P. Roeder believed killing abortion doctors was an act of justifiable homicide. What an Oxymoron with the emphasis on moron!!!

G.   June 2nd, 2009 10:27 am ET

There are always going to be some radicals, in everything. Murder is sad. That doesn't make everyone bad though. I still can't justify late term abortions, but this blog about murder. Murder is bad.

Ted   June 6th, 2009 9:02 am ET

John, San Antonio
There is absolutly no sense of continuing such a brainless discussion. We have a free country, so believe what you like. As far as myself, I would be happy with that 10% I mentioned previously.

Daron Jackels   June 30th, 2010 9:30 pm ET

give me some excellent ideas. thanks man

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter