CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 21, 2009

LKL WEB EXCLUSIVE: Melinda Doolittle: Best Idol Ever!

Posted: 04:23 PM ET

NOTE: KRIS, ADAM AND ALL THE IDOL FINALISTS WILL BE ON LKL FRIDAY AND MONDAY.  WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK THEM?  CLICK HERE TO SEND YOU QUESTIONS. Melinda-Doolittle

Melinda Doolittle was a finalist in season 6 of "American Idol."  Her CD, "Coming Back To You" is available now.  You can also keep up with her at www.melindadoolittle.com.

Okay seriously...tonight was the best "American Idol" finale ever! Normally I would be partial to Season 6, but tonight just blew me away.

Now, I'm not usually one to name drop, but I can't help it this time.  I was sitting behind Ace Young and Paris Bennett, in front of Blake Lewis, Chris Richardson and Kristy Lee Cook, and across from Victoria Beckham. Not to mention the fact that I had already seen Anthony Hopkins and Katie Holmes the night before. And, that's just the audience y'all!

On the stage, history was being made. Where else can you go to one show and see Queen Latifah, Jason Mraz, Cyndi Lauper, KISS, Queen, Carlos Santana, Lionel Richie, Keith Urban, Fergie, The Black-Eyed Peas, Rod Stewart and Steve Martin performing on the same stage?  I was in awe and pretty much on my feet the entire show.

Now, I know that the final moment of the night was Kris taking the wonderful "American Idol" crown, and let me say that I am soooooo happy for him and think he totally deserved it. That guy is phenomenal and I can't wait to see what happens with him in the future.  That being said, tonight was Adam's night!  It seriously doesn't get better than hearing him perform with both KISS and Queen.

I did have a few other favorite moments.  If you have ever been to my website (melindadoolittle.com) and read any blogs, you know what I'm going to say next....  Allison, Allison, Allison!  She totally showed why she was my favorite this season.  She easily held her own with Cyndi Lauper, and that is amazing for someone of any age, but especially a 17 year old.

The Black-Eyed Peas! Please Fergie, make a workout video so I can look like that on stage.  🙂
Steve Martin's song was amazing.  I'm definitely getting that CD! What a great writer and musician he is. Who knew???

Lionel Richie...seriously, he can sing for me any day. What an icon!

(NOTE: Lionel Richie will be on LKL this Tuesday)

If you haven't figured it out by now, I pretty much just loved the entire night.  Of course, there was that interesting moment with Bikini Girl and our new 4th judge...but that's all I'm going to say about that.

All in all, whether you voted for Adam or Kris, they both came out winners tonight.  And just a note to the rest of the Top 13...enjoy every moment of this experience and continue to Dream Big because this is just the beginning.  No matter what place you come in, "American Idol" has awarded you the best opportunities.  I can't believe I can now say my debut CD is in every store, online and hopefully making it's way to your house. 😉

I have to end this by saying, I was so honored to be on that red carpet tonight as an alum of the best show on television (besides "Larry King Live").

Love you guys,
Melinda

Filed under: American Idol • Larry King Live

Zia Taylor   May 22nd, 2009 1:03 am ET

I became a fan of American Idol two seasons ago, and I have to admit I was blown away this season. I think you all captured America, and the beauty of all of you is you have defined the younger generation in a positive way.

God bless each of you on the fabulous journey that is ahead for all of you. Thank you for the thrills, the excitement, and for giving me the rush of what a crush is again. ROCK ON IDOLS!!

Billie Folsom   May 22nd, 2009 2:23 am ET

Melinda-
As a musician (instrumental/vocal) I have to say, you and Danny are the best vocalists of all the contestants I've seen. Just bought your CD, it's in my car as we speak!
Good luck!

anita bogalin   May 22nd, 2009 9:13 am ET

hello,melinda! i am SOOO GLAD TO HEAR YOU COMMENT ABOUT THE FINALE. IT REALLY WAS THE BEST AMERICAN IDOL FINALE,EVER!!! WOW!
I TOTALLY LOVED IT AS I HAVE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR PERFORMANCE DURING YOUR SEASON.
I LOVE KRIS ALLEN.AND WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY ABOUT HIS WINNING, HE STILL WINS AND NOBODY CAN CHANGE THAT. HE DESERVED IT. U KNOW, GREAT THINGS HAPPEN TO HUMBLE PEOPLE ... JUST LIKE YOU. I DON'T REALLY BUY CD'S BUT I'M HAPPY TO KNOW THAT U'RE HAVING AN ALBUM RIGHT NOW.
BE WAITING FOR THAT TO BE RELEASED HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES.(I'M A FILIPINA,BY THE WAY)
I CAN SEE U'RE ENJOYING UR CAREER RIGHT NOW. I'M HAPPY FOR YOU. U REALLY ARE A WONDERFUL SINGER. I LIKE D WAY U PERFORM,FULL OF HUMILITY AND TALENT... LIKE KRIS ALLEN.
I WOULD TO HEAR FROM U ON MY EMAIL.PLEASE FEEL FREE TO VIEW MY FRIENDSTER PROFILE FOR YOU TO BE ABLE TO GET TO KNOW ME BETTER,JUST ADD ME UP.THANK U VERY MUCH!!!
TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Scott   May 22nd, 2009 10:30 am ET

Melinda – such a wonderful talent and spirit you are! When you left Idol, I stopped watching that season, but I've been watching you ever since. Love the new album – several of which I've given as gifts! Two thoughts – I would love for your second album to be a collection of standards, reinterpreted in your own unique style: Gershwin, Porter, Mercer. Ah...I can dream of Melinda singing Mercer's "Dream".......next thought, you need to get yourself a recurring role on that new show "Glee." Get your agent on that!! All good wishes to you...

Barb Pitre   May 22nd, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Hello Guys(Idols) Cant Beleive I'm Doing This Anyhow Danny Is Right There was No Wrong Choice A.I Season 8 Was The Best Ever All You Idols Were Awesome I Will be At Copps Here In Hamilton. A.I. Tour So Excited To See You All Perform Live LOVE YOU all you Are A Darling Adam Kris Danny Matt Aliison Michaeal Scott 🙂 I Have Sweet Seats First Row In The Balcony....Cant waite For Your C.D. I will Buy All Of Your C.D.

A Huge Fan Barb Pitre

Lubbs Ya
xoxoxox

Desiree   May 22nd, 2009 9:20 pm ET

terrible show

Sandy   May 22nd, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Melinda looking forward to checking out your CD. This was a great Idol season And I'm so Glad Kris won he is Talented, Gifted, well rounded a humble spirit, And so very deserving of the American Idol Winner A big! HUGE!! CONGRATS!!! TO KRIS!! AMERICA GOT IT RIGHT!!!

Carol   May 22nd, 2009 10:10 pm ET

Melinda–you, Elliott and now Danny–all my favorites in 3rd place. There should be a warning sent to the contestant I am loving. Your CD is just as amazing as your talent. One of my dreams is to see you in concert some day.
Yes, the Idol finale this year was incredible. What a great show. Hated to see Allison leave but came to love Adam's singing and performances–what a talented young man.
Keep it up with that incredible positive attitude.

mariam juma   May 22nd, 2009 10:27 pm ET

Hey Idols,
What a great show, and a Fabulous Finale!
I really loved it all, and enjoyed it to the max!
My sincere comment is about my LEGEND: Adam Lambert:
This man is an extreme! He's more than an artist! I can't imagine how the season would'v been like without him!
Seriously, he added a HUGE weight to the show! And to my faith in people!
However they say, whoever he was, his personal life is personal to him, but can any1 honestly say that he wasn't extraordinary??
I liked Kris a lot, but to be honest, he can never Match Adam!
Unfairness and injustice is evrywhere, and america not voting for him is a huge disappointment!
I just wished if they openned the voting internationally I wud'v absoloutely vote!
Anyways, he's a King! And he's gona b the KING, just as Great as Elvis and Michael Jackson!
Adam's Fan; Mariam.

barbara shearing   May 23rd, 2009 12:29 am ET

I am so glad that your cd"coming back to you" is out. love the energy and great music! Just wish you had sung "It's your love" on American Idol. Glad you got to be on that red carpet. A star was born the day you sang on american Idol!

Jean Porter   May 23rd, 2009 1:31 am ET

I am really disappointed at the so called Christians that judge others. I am a born again christian. Christian means Christ like. COME ON NOW be for real . Unless you have a hearing problem, anyone knows that ADAM LAMBERT should have won AMERICAN IDOL> IT was only that you formed your opinion, decided Adam was Gay, and cast your votes for Kris the "little christian boy" Well let me remind you that MY GOD IS LOVE. Being prejudice does not display love. I am so happy that Adam will produce many albums. I also believe the voting was tampered with, by someone. You know the BIBLE says "Pray for those who dispitefully use you and do all sorts of evil against you...." ADAM you will be okay. REmember GOD gave ADAM Lambert his talent and you people can't take it from him.

Yvonne R.   May 23rd, 2009 3:54 am ET

I absolutely agree with Melinda. This was THE BEST AI finale. Sure, some parts were "questionable" but overall it was great. I even enjoyed Nick because he's just humorous. Though, I am not sure why or how he got as far as he did on the show. I also enjoyed Paula's choreography early on for the Idols. And Adam was my favorite entertainer of the season.

Lizzie   May 23rd, 2009 4:56 am ET

Melinda... in our house, Season 6 lost its allure when you left! We all thought you were amazing! Great to see you here on the LKL blog... and great to hear about your album... we'll go and get the cd tomorrow... just as we'll buy Adam's as soon as it comes out! Also, if you ever tour... please come to the West Coast of Canada... we'd love to see you in concert! All the luck 'Girl'... you are giften and very special!

Dee   May 23rd, 2009 5:15 am ET

Sorry Kris, your sweet...but Adam is amazing..he put on an awesome performance week after week! He is a true super star! I think unlimited voting & speed dial machines played a big role in the voting process. Your both awesome people,,,its amazing to see how good you talk about each other & the special friendship you share! Adam...I loved it when you kissed Kris on the forehead...you have a big heart!

Mark   May 23rd, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Melinda, you were wonderful and should have won Season 6. You and Adam definitely have the top voices ever on the show (Jennifer Hudson reached her peak later). Not to say Kris, Danny, Allison (loved her), and some others from the past - Latoya, Lakisha, Clay, Constantine, to name a few) were'nt also excllent. But you should be headlining today, right now, in top venues across the country. Adam is a rare aritst who will do wonders with whatever he chooses. Kris is likeable and is a terrific contemporary artist, but I actually think Danny, my original favorite whose personality is wearing thin, and Allison have more staying power. But Melinda, you are timeless and will be singing anything and everything until youjust don;t want to sing anymore!

Vikki   May 24th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Mr. King, how and when will you know, it's time to hand the mike over.

Hernan   May 24th, 2009 10:15 pm ET

Larry, everyone of your shows, everyday, are my favorite ones.

Theo   May 25th, 2009 12:22 pm ET

Melinda, it is great to read your comment about the final. It was the best final ever! Wow! What a show! And you my dear, I thought you were to perform on one of the AI shows? What happened? Thanks for the free download of you title track. It's great and I play it in the car all the time, that's because your CD is not availlable here south africa yet. Can you speed up the export of you CD please? You have lots of fan down here and we are so happy for your success. God bless you richly! Love from a very cold Johannesburg.

Tim Chicago   May 26th, 2009 12:07 am ET

What ever! who cares.

Rosa   May 26th, 2009 3:39 pm ET

Agree with this year's show. Remarkable talents all around made it hard to rally for just one contestant. But.........Danny Dokey high on my list. Love those soulful, passionate voices. Have been your fan since season six. Waiting for the next album and agree with Scott; your voice pays great tribute to those soulful songs! Hope you have concert near northern California someday; will be the first in line to buy a ticket. God Bless you and most of all thank you for the pleasure of your gift!!!

Teri Ross   June 1st, 2009 12:50 am ET

Melinda, what a treat to hear from you. Millions of us know you should have won and love you forever. Thanks for sharing your wonderful evening with us and thank God for your voice.

jennifer [ toronto]   October 15th, 2009 12:33 am ET

melinda , really good singer, love your smile. i am happy for you.

jennifer [ toronto]   October 15th, 2009 12:37 am ET

great voice

Jayden Scott   July 9th, 2010 8:28 am ET

Anthony Hopkins is one of the veteran actors in Hollywood that should be given a lifetime acheivement award.*~"

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter