CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 19, 2009

Impact Your World: Larry and the LKCF

Posted: 03:36 PM ET

Larry King Jr. is the President of the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.LK,-LK-Jr,-Chance,-Cannon

He's also the son of the Larry King that has a show on CNN.  You might have heard of him.

Larry Jr.'s commentary is part of our continuing Impact Your World series.  He will also be a guest on tonight's LKL.

Tonight on my father's show you will learn a lot of new things about his life. One thing that amazes me about my father is that no matter where he is or what he is doing he will stop it to make a call to tell someone that his Foundation will help save their life

I almost lost my father in 1987, but he was lucky. His hospital bills were covered by insurance. While he was recovering from his operation, he made a promise to himself to help others who may not be as lucky.

The Larry King Cardiac Foundation (LKCF) was established in 1988 to provide funding for life-saving treatment for individuals who, due to limited means or no insurance, would otherwise be unable to receive the treatment and care they so desperately need. The Foundation works in conjunction with hospitals throughout the nation to ensure that such patients receive proper medical attention. Doctors performing these surgeries do so at no charge. Hospitals are compensated only for the materials used. Hearts are repaired. Families are given another chance. Lives are saved.

We have a simple target and that is try to Save a Heart a Day. Last year we helped 313 individuals with life saving cardiac care. In addition we screened over 4000 people for cardiac disease and on an ongoing basis we screened over 400 people for cardiac disease in Los Angeles with our collaborate efforts with LAC+USC hospital.

So far in 2009, we have helped 178 individuals with only 131 days gone in the year! We have accomplished this goal in part due to the increase in some international cases we completed in Africa and Jamaica as well as increased patient support at our new partner hospital in Miami: Jackson Memorial.

I am proud of my father and what he has done in his career but I am probably more proud of his Foundation. We could use your help!

To learn more go to www.lkcf.org

To learn more about how you can Impact Your World, go to CNN.com/Impact

impact

Filed under: Impact Your World • Larry King

Jose   May 19th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

What has been your most humbling experience that you can recall?

christy mclaughlin   May 19th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Impact your world. How about the Miami horseplayers who loaned you money during tough times? Did you pay them back? Many say you haven't.

christopher   May 20th, 2009 12:31 am ET

My favorite moment was when he realized it was me

christopher   May 20th, 2009 12:46 am ET

I know you might not believe who I am. Will you interview me?

Emilie Dubeau   May 20th, 2009 12:51 am ET

Do you ever come to Canada?
Weather is great in the Okanogan and Your Family would enjoy
our Beaches.
I live in Penticton, BC and would love an autographed copy
of Your New Book!
I really do think some stable should name a horse after you,
probably would not be able to keep up with you though!
Bless you and your family and Foundation.

Emilie Dubeau

christopher   May 20th, 2009 12:59 am ET

Will you interview an Angel fan?

lois tillack   May 20th, 2009 1:28 am ET

Larry as someone who has watched you for over 20 years,your intervews about faith has given me more questions than any other.I believe without a doubt life after death with my love ones.What is your believe,as you talk with all faiths you seem to be always looking for proof. a canadian fan

lois tillack   May 20th, 2009 1:28 am ET

A. B. Weqver   May 20th, 2009 1:19 pm ET

Larry: I know you are a Jew. It has always impressed me that you give the upmost respect to Christians and people of other faiths. I would like to hear you share what you really believe about who is God? And, how does your own personal faith effect your life?

Gurmeet Hajrah   May 20th, 2009 1:27 pm ET

Larry King Live show is part of my lifestyle. I have been watching it since mid 1990s when I moved to California from Punjab, India. I have yet to read the book released recently by Larry King. Larry King is an amazing guy and have place in my list of people who impacted my thuoght process.

Maru Rodriguez   May 20th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

Larry:
The news about the Virginia teacher that abused and killed a child with special needs has shocked me since I also have a child with special needs and can not concive how this teacher and the school system gets away with it. I never miss your programs and would love to see one evening in your show parents of children with some sort of special needs that also and unfortunetaly have had in the past problems with the school system and have been ignored. Thank you very much.

Hamisi Dale   May 22nd, 2009 6:08 pm ET

Larry,there is this book "ADVICE TO CHILDREN FROM ACHILD" that will be very good for your kids. I propose it to every parent I know. I thought of it when I saw the picture of you and your kids on TV. It is written by Nehla Nambouh a 14 years old girl in middle school. It is a very good book for kids. You can call Nehla on 3394405268 to get the book.

Karen Sticht   May 24th, 2009 1:43 pm ET

For you and your cardiac foundation we recommend the heart healthy meat, bison. The American Heart Association has endorsed bison meat. We raise all grass fed bison here in Cadiz, Ohio. The meat is low in cholesterol, high in omega 3 anf 6, low in fat, high in protein. It has a mild flavor, and tastes like red meat used to taste.

William C. Lennard   May 25th, 2009 11:55 am ET

OH BRAVE WARRIOR (Memorial Day)
(A Tribute to Veterans)

Father, as we come today, we are thankful for your gracious mercy and Supreme Grace. We give thanks for all of your bountiful gifts, large and small. We thank you for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and a country where we can exercise our opportunities to dream and worship thee in Spirit and in truth.
Father on this Memorial Day, let us be mindful of the men and women who have fought and died that our country might continue to be the land of the free and the home of the brave, where dreams are born and fruitful seeds are sown to your glory. Father, give us insight and wisdom to seek your guidance, your protection and your truth in all of our dealings and affairs at home and abroad.

Now Father, let us be mindful of the words that you have allowed me to pen by your Spirit as a tribute to our veterans past and present entitled, “OH BRAVE WARRIOR”; a tribute to those who dared to make a difference by serving our country with their skills, their dedications and even their lives.

Oh! Brave Warriors that you are
Protectors of our country,
On foreign lands, gusty seas and endless skies
Never knowing what fate will bring,
Only hoping that those with care
Will continue in happiness and tranquil peace,
And never be torn nor battered by bombs or soldiers
From foreign soil invading this virgin land;
Daring to take its fruitful bounty at will.

What mighty protectors are you?
Drawing your strength from God above,
Walking bolding into the arms of battle
Sometimes cold and often hot,
Fearful, but never turning away from duty,
Only the thought of task at hand to command.

We give our warmest heart tribute
With a special prayer,
For those who have fought, lost limbs and eyes,
And to the many who have given even their lives
So that others may live.
Our prayer is that you who have protected,
Will be protected
By God, our Over-all Protector.
It’s in the name of our Creator, Sustainer, and Supreme Warrior we ask it all.
Amen!

Cindy Barron   June 25th, 2009 8:16 pm ET

I am upset with Larry King for stating Farrah Fawcetts story is now in the past. She was a person many women this country admired for her beauty and courage. She fought for what she believed in. She fought and won laws to protect people’s medical records. She showed her courage in fighting the cancer that over took her body. Farrah Fawcett is a hero.

I feel it is wrong to cancel her tribute to put Michael Jackson on. While Mr. Jackson had talent and a successful career, his life also had much controversy. He made a lot of money yet he was always in debt.

Mr. King put the tribute of Farrah Fawcett back on tonight and have a tribute of Michael Jackson tomorrow night.

Raphael Okeke   June 30th, 2009 1:54 pm ET

Am new to this site. Actually this is my first time and i want to say that am very happy and proud of what am seeing here. I just want Larry to keep up the good work. You will be hearing from me.This show is one of my best shows on cnn. Thanks

Becki Weaver   July 16th, 2009 1:47 pm ET

I salute you, Larry King (father and son) for the contribution you are making to our world, through your longstanding talkshow, Larry King Live, I have continually been amazed to see you tackle the tough issues with grace and wisdom, which you show to all your guests. I rarely watch tv, but I tune into your show regularly. You are always shreud enough to present both sides to a story. You are level-headed, insightful, thorough, and courageous. in a way that gets to the truth. Thank you, Larry.

"IMPACT YOUR WORLD" is groundbreaking, and I see it as a catalyst that will change the way people see their world forever. Seeing stories in a newspaper about some horrible injustice can be overwhelming at times, especially when people feel powerless to do anything about it. But seeing a story on CNN.com, which gives the complete IN DEPTH LOOK at the whole subject, and offers links for how to "impact your world" is a brilliant new ground-breaking development in journalism that gives one a sense of empowerment. This feeling of connection lends a "can do" attitude to former "impossible" situations.

CNN (live news coverage) can become a force in the world for positive change, for uniting people by discovering common bonds, for solving our shared problems. We CAN make our world a better place, as Michael Jackson once dreamed, if we will set aside our differences and focus on our common values. Will we hand off a better world to our children and their children? Will we start asking the kind of questions that lead to solutions? Will we set aside our self-interests to see the big picture and plan for long term, lasting solutions? This kind of journalism can help us toward that goal.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter