CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 15, 2009

Limbaugh hits back at Sen. John McCain's mom

Posted: 04:16 PM ET

From

Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Thursday to recent comments by Roberta McCain, the mother of Republican Sen. John McCain.

(CNN) — Rush Limbaugh responded to Roberta McCain's criticism of his tough radio persona Thursday, joking over the fact "McCain's mother is dumping on me."

"She is absolutely right" in her assessment that that she belongs to a different Republican Party than he does, Limbaugh said during his radio show: "The Republican Party she belongs to gets shellacked election after election after election."

In an appearance on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Wednesday, the outspoken 97-year-old mother of Sen. John McCain said, to cheers from the audience, that Limbaugh "does not represent the Republican Party that I belong to."

"I belong to the Republican Party," she said. "What he represents of the Republican Party has nothing to do with my side of it. I don't know what the man means, I don't know what he's talking about."

On his show Thursday, Limbaugh made clear he found the criticism quite amusing.

"Sending Sen. McCain's mother out to dump on me?" Limbaugh said, laughing. "I love it."

Filed under: John McCain • Larry King Live • Politics • Rush Limbaugh

Michael C. McHugh   May 15th, 2009 4:34 pm ET

I know exactly what my great grandma from North Carolina would have said to Rush Limbuagh: "Mistuh, down where I come from, any man who speaks to a lady like that gets his teeth knocked out."

Pietro Sirianni   May 15th, 2009 5:04 pm ET

Rush Limbaugh; tamer of wild Grandmothers everywhere! What a man?
After a long day of defending himself against predatory Grandmothers, Mr. Limbaugh winds down by enjoying a few Oxycotten and counting his 400 million.

E. James Wells   May 15th, 2009 5:23 pm ET

This polarized absolutism is scary. I wonder if these political leaders realize that they are actually undermining the entire point of having a democracy. Slinging insults and creating morally absolute dichotomies allows people excuses not to speak out. Further, it serves to distract us from the real issues. Watching these arguments does not advocate for our beliefs it prevents us from debating them. Debate is how we solidify our beliefs, learn about the other side, and learn to grow, change, and evolve. Let's try to open our minds up enough to avoid utter political decay. Everything has consequences and now, more than ever, the consequences are already dire.

Rich   May 15th, 2009 5:28 pm ET

Man,,,,I love it. First Wanda Sykes saying he was the 20th hijacker on 9/11 then Senator McCain's mother, Robert, saying he doesn't represent the GOP I belong to...........getting the hint Rush.

Come on Barbara Bush....It's your turn......Is Rush Limbaugh the face of the GOP you belong to??

Dave of Detroit   May 15th, 2009 6:34 pm ET

Obviously, Rush's party consists of two people-Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh.

Michael C. McHugh   May 15th, 2009 7:02 pm ET

Rush Limbaugh reminds me of Roger Williams, the ultra-Calvinist of the 17th Century who never tried to start a church of his own because he could never find anyone else who he was sure would be going to heaven–including his wife.

Dave of Detroit   May 15th, 2009 7:20 pm ET

Now Mike-Calvinists are good down to earth people-Presbyterians and Baptists and Calvin had 5 points in his TULIP Acronym-Rush has only one in his Ultra Conservative Republican stance-Not one penny of my accumulated wealth will ever be taken by a liberal Democrat for anyone but myself. I will die first! I have to admit that I admire his total dedication-not many like him...Plus, he is fun to listen to, I find out who is really ticking off the Conservative Republican Base and then get on line and find out why. It makes being an Independent the best thing in the world. Lou Dobbs is great to-keeps asking why the President and Congress are allowing an invasion of illegal aliens and drugs. That has got to bother the Congressmen accepting money from Ammnesty and Open Border Groups!

The W.O.   May 15th, 2009 8:27 pm ET

Mr Limbaugh.
Go and take a few Oxycontin and get over it.

Dodie ~ California   May 15th, 2009 8:33 pm ET

RUSH LIMBAUGH IS AN OXYMORON WITH THE EMPHASIS ON

Rush, just shut up!!!

Gretchen from Georgia   May 15th, 2009 8:57 pm ET

Ditto, Dodie....

I don't waste my time listening to a lunatic rant and rave, can't stand the creep!

Dodie ~ California   May 15th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

moron is not profanity! Rush is a moron! What is wrong with that?

RJ   May 15th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

unreal, this guy has no cooth! he has to be popping oxy`s man why dont he just go away and thats putting it mildly!

RJ   May 15th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

whats really disturbs me is ex cnn anchor wont mention her name not be ashamed to be in the same room as this guy much less his bed, he`s disgusting!

RJ   May 15th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

funny thing about ole Rush, he claims he needs the pills for his bad back but he can rant and rave like he was Adolph Hitler for hours on his radio talk show without any hint of a bad back.....sittings the worst thing for a bad back,.....hummmm sounds like a junkies excuse to get high!

RJ   May 15th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

off subject, anyone noticed lately while passing road construction yeah you know that profession that President Obama promised would recieve large sums of stimulas to hire AMERICANS how many jobs are going to at best documented migrant workers? Look next time and then decide for yourself if those jobs should be going to citizens of this country first. 5 million jobs was the figure it would create, hogwash and they (big business)know it! Contact your congressman or woman and complain, its the only way to stop this practice! thanks!

John, San Antonio, TX   May 15th, 2009 11:48 pm ET

Debbie – I didn't see your response to my message yesterday until this morning. One of the points I was trying to make is (1) That I don't know Sarah Palin as well as you appear to – just don't know the lady. But I have read so many comments where people with make allegations against someone they disagree with that I begin to suspect that many of them don't know as much as they purport to. (2) All of these intimate details about Sarah Palin or anyone else such as "Plattic Breasts", "Botox Breasts" etc cause me to experience pangs of inadequacy since I have had no such intimacies. As you know, I enjoy your input and while I don't always agree with you, I do occasionally enjoy sparing with you. I don't know what Internet Server you have but I have Yahoo AT&T. They have other categories ot opportunity to Blog by clicking on various news items. You can click on the news story and then give it a thumbs up or down. Then you can go to the comments others have made, read them, and then click on a thumbs up or down depending whether or not you agree with them. It is another way to get into current events and have an opportunity to participate in the discussion. I have to warn you; however, if you are able to go into these sites, the ones I have read through are overwhelmingly in oposition to your point of view. I know you feel as you are a member of the vast majority but you are only going into a site with a preponderence of bloggers who are leaning in your political opinion direction.
I know you enjoy going into Larry King's site and it may even be a hobby which gives you a sense of contributing and standing up for your opinion and I don't want to discourage you of that as I also share the satisfaction of getting my own two cents in. The main thing I would caution you of is not to believe everything you read or are told by others. They are often not based on established fact but rather opinion presented as fact. Just because someone shares your opinion or expresses they way you feel, doesn't necessarily mean you are overwhelmingly in the right. One of the things that make me uncomfortable is when people use put downs or foul language to try and use as a legitimate argument when they are unable to make a truely intelligent response. You may have seen some of those commercials on TRUE TV station where one program is called "Speeders." It shows many funny and entertaining traffic stops by police officers where you get to hear the excuses motorists give for being caught speeding. One of the true classics is where one young woman was stopped by a police officer for speeding and when asked why she was speeding, she said "I was just racing with some other moron." For the time being, I rest my case. I wish you an enjoyable evening and still consider you one of my favorite people on the blogs.

Dodie ~ California   May 16th, 2009 1:08 am ET

Good heavens Rush!!!! Your brains are falling out, Close your mouth!!!!

Poor Rush, the Grannies of America are after you!

Pietro Sirianni   May 16th, 2009 11:59 am ET

I think Angela is one of them "Tea-Party" radicals. Someone explain to her under a communist regime there is no freedom of speech, and it's rude to blog in all 'caps.'

JGM   May 16th, 2009 12:17 pm ET

RUSH LIMBAUGH. a manly man.

Michael C. McHugh   May 16th, 2009 1:37 pm ET

Folks like Angela are the reason that the Republican party today looks like the party of Bozo the Clown, and I'm all for it. The more they rant and rave like this, the better to us. So you go, girl. I like it, I love it, I want more of it!

Pietro Sirianni   May 16th, 2009 8:28 pm ET

I'll give Angela's description of a communist/socialist/far-leftist.
-Anyone who lives above the Mason-Dixon line, that is not white, doesn't watch NASCAR, doesn't drink Bud, doesn't belong to a fanatical "Christian" church, anyone who believes that big business should be regulated and the wealthy should pay their fair share of the tax burden, anyone who believes that science is full of facts, anyone who believes in such a thing as global warming, anyone who would dare help a fellow American down on his luck, anyone who believes in any type of diplomacy, anyone with an I.Q. above 85.

Dave of Detroit   May 16th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

Pietro-There are people that do like Rush and all watch Fox news to get constant updates on their worst fears being realized. Sadly, we are all in this together and I know their feelings-didn't get a good nights sleep for 8 years of Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld. My mistake was not buying Halliburton stock at $11.43 per share in 2001.

Pietro Sirianni   May 16th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Dave
You got that right on the Haliburton stock. One small correction though; its FAUX NEWS.

debbie   May 17th, 2009 7:44 am ET

My point toward anyone John is simply my point of view. Go back and look on any Palin statement on these blogs and if you look you will see there is more negative than positive toward her. No I do not feel Palin or Rush is helping the Republican party. It makes them look foolish when you constantly slander our President. When the President takes off his suit at night , he is still just a man under that suit, so mistakes will be made and sometimes you will have to reconsider what at first you thought you would do. President Obama is the right man for this country. Looking back on history, everytime we needed a leader to pull this country out of any crisis, we were blessed with the right man in office. Rush would not agree but he is a Republican , so that stands to reason. I do not feel safe having Palin in office and I really can't see her there in 2012 but perhaps in 2016 she will have a better shot. I think weakness brings disaster to our country and looking back on the Bush administration it only proves my point. Mrs. Palin is nice to look at but will she bring respect to this country. The interviews she gave are for everyone to view, and as much as the media was blamed by Palin for trying to say she is not knowledgeable, go and watch them and then explain to me the words that came out of her mouth was not lacking knowledge. Tina Fey did have plenty material to work with but she used the words that Palin said and jestures that made Palin look silly to some. Palin is not taking care of the people of Alaska so how could she take care of a country? I don't walk alone in my views and I understand what you are saying and I appreciate how you are a gentleman to me but I have said less than others and if you look at previos blogs about her , well I'll leave that to you to decide. I do not feel Rush is being fair toward the President and his views are nasty and mean about President Obama. If Palin ever wins I hope she is elected on a Vice President level . I'm not in politics so if you ask me questions about politics I probably would give stupid answers but you expect a person who is a govenor and has been in politics to answer simple questions , it just is not my view on Palin that is negative a nd if she was the right person for the job , she would be in the White House now. America spoke and she lost. I do not plan on blogging anymore. I dislike how our P{resident is being slander by people like Rush and Republicans period. This stimulus money is to help people in the states and you have Palin and Perry refusing this money to help their people in their states. It is wrong and sad for the people who need this money for their family. This kind of thinking scres me about Palin. She got a taste of the glamour and money and perks so her whole agenda might be self worth instead of country first. Np I'm not for Palin or Rush are anyone who stands up and slanders our President. She lost for goods reasons and the RNC had plenty of negative things to say about her. Thanks John and I would love to talk to you one on one , if there was a way to give you my e-mail without everybody seeing it I would. Thanks for beind a blogger friend.

Dave of Detroit   May 17th, 2009 8:37 am ET

Debbie-Any Republican that has the Oil companies giving each of Alaska's residents up to $3500 per year for having their oil resources drained for the huge profits of the oil companies is not a detriment to the Republican Party-she is an Anomoly. John Boehner and Co. worship the oil companies, they go to bed and dream of the wealth that flows from the gushers of black gold that they lobby so intensely for. If the Republican Party wants to return to the mainstream and get re- elected time and time again, just start a National program enforcing our Border laws and protecting the citizens of the U.S. from the curse of the Drugs that has Chicago and Detroit the murder capitals of the world. The Bush Administration was so far in big Oils pocket that they had permanet blinders on to any abuse of our laws by outsiders and President Obama is following in their footsteps for political reasons-Don't want to offend anyone, better to role over and be raped quitely!

cortez morris   May 18th, 2009 11:32 am ET

Mr. Larry King I'm a 25 year old up and coming journalist and one of my biggest dreams would be to interview you. I am a junior at Jackson State University and my conceration is broadcast journalism and I have amired so career for so long.
. I know you probably get many emails about people who want to be on your show, but I realized you don't have to answer this request. I know their was a person in your personal carrer that took a chance on you and I'm just asking for a chance too. Thanks

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter