CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 13, 2009

LARRY'S BOOK EXCERPT: How the King became King

Posted: 03:33 PM ET

Below is an excerpt from Larry King's new autobiography "My Remarkable Journey" published by Weinstein books.Remarkable Journey

Larry Zeiger left Brooklyn, New York, for Miami Beach, Florida, at the age of 23 to try to find a job in radio. This is how he got his new name:

I went to stay with my Uncle Jack in Miami Beach.

I was so excited that I started knocking on doors the next day.

I stopped at a small station on First Street, WAHR. The guy in charge liked my voice. "We get a lot of people coming and going," he told me. "If you hang around, you'll get the first opening."

I sat and watched in fascination for a few weeks. It was a tiny operation, but the sight of the UPI and AP machines furiously clicking out news made me feel like I was on the brink of something big. Miami Beach was like a dream. The palm trees. The ocean. I remember walking past Joe's Stone Crab. Joe's is more than a restaurant, it's a landmark.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Larry King

Terry Marinucci   May 13th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

The entire Anthony family puts the FUN back into dysfunctional !

Terry Marinucci   May 13th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

The entire Anthony family puts the FUN back into dysfunctional !

donnie   May 13th, 2009 7:11 pm ET

LOOKING FORWARD to your book, Larry, when will it be in book/stores ? thanks !

Dave of Detroit   May 14th, 2009 12:45 am ET

Larry, I graduated High School in1958-Would you mind answering the question-Was the World a better place to live when we had a Constitution, you could pray in schools, see Scriptures on Courtroom Walls, Celebrate the Christian Holidays any way you wanted to, Doctors that performed abortions were no longer doctors, and the President, Congress , and the Supreme Court actually had dignity and respected each other? The only thing I have seen that refers to this era is the "Butterworth "commercials. We actually had ice deliveries, milk deliveries, Fuller Brush men, and Mills come to your house-The Doctor would even know your name and family and love gabbing with you. Any comments on any of the above from an Old pro named King?

citizenkim   May 14th, 2009 4:00 am ET

Great story Larry- I'm sure there are many more in the book. I'm glad you didn't go w/Larry Liquors– good call! 😉

Bill Miami Fl   May 14th, 2009 6:20 am ET

Good luck with the book Larry

Watching your show and other CNN shows is becoming increasingly unpleasant with all the captions, tickers, etc etc on the screen And they are so huge , most times, content is being blocked out.

Viewers are losing more viewing real estate on their screens daily. It needs to stop.

All we need if anything is a small CNN logo , bottom right.

Hope you have some clout to get this corrected
Thanks

debbie   May 14th, 2009 4:35 pm ET

Larry you have interviewed so many people and was it harder to talk to the celeberties or someone in politics.? Getting information out of someone I assume can be difficult and was you ever aggarvated toward a quest or just could not get them to answer you directly, did anyone ever challenge your patience?

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter