CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 27, 2009

MONDAY: Swine Flu – What You Should Know!

Posted: 07:44 PM ET

artnewspapercnnSwine flu!  The president says it's a cause for concern, but not a cause for alarm!?  Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Dr. Mehmet Oz and the acting director of the CDC join Larry to tell you what you need to know to keep you and your family safe.

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Have a question of comment?

CLICK HERE! Then, tune-in tonight.  We just may use your comment on the air.

Plus, Betty White and Rue McClanahan join Larry to remember "Golden Girl" Bea Arthur tonight.

Also tonight, Mia Farrow on her hunger strike "in solidarity with the people of Darfur and as a personal expression of outrage... ."   Read Mia's LKL Web Exclusive on her fast and hopes for Darfur HERE!

Please:

1) Stay on topic.
2) Keep it short
3) No curse words

4) No links

5) Use a name (no initials or screen names)

Filed under: Larry King Live

BrandonFeindell   April 27th, 2009 8:06 pm ET

I think that the swine flu is something that should be kept on watch but not to cause a huge ordeal or panic about it at all.

Once it starts to evolve into the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s of the case reports, Then it should be a main issue and problem to the government and they can try to do what they want then, But for now just keep it under watch, Monitor it.

BoPeep   April 27th, 2009 8:14 pm ET

What is the possibility the virus might have been here sooner? I became horribly ill on April 8th and it was with me for 2 weeks, still 3 weeks later I am having trouble breathing. It was the worst respiratory infection I have ever gotten. I had every symptom. Could I have had swine flu?

Michael C. McHugh   April 27th, 2009 8:15 pm ET

I suspect that the poorer countries without adequate public health care will get the worst of it, as they always do. Something should be done to help these countries improve medical care, sanitation, housing, and so on. I think it should the main priority in foreign affairs, more than the military side.

Joann   April 27th, 2009 8:48 pm ET

Why is the swine flu cause for concern but not alarm yet? I would think that we should be on the alert because of the amount of folks that have been to Mexico on Spring Break and the ones that are crossing the borders illegally.

RennieQ   April 27th, 2009 8:53 pm ET

Are there enough masks in the Untied States?

Melissah   April 27th, 2009 8:58 pm ET

Larry,
Please watch celebrity apprentice and then have joan and melissa rivers on your show to explain how they could say the things they do on camera. To me their a disgrace. I'd be interested in what you and your viewers think. Thanks

Hayley Smith   April 27th, 2009 8:59 pm ET

Have the FDA, CDC, and the Surgeon's General Office ever thought that the Smithfield in Veracruz, Mexico is the most-likely cause of this current Swine Flu outbreak? It's practically a breeding ground for a flu pandemic. The way they treat the animals in these factory farms are just ruthless. Maybe this is natures way of trying to put a stop to it.

anna s   April 27th, 2009 9:02 pm ET

We need Aeroclave units in every airport! Check it out at aeroclave.com.

Ali   April 27th, 2009 9:03 pm ET

What precautions should one take when working out at the gym, particularly on tread mill or using different free weights or weight machines. I do want to go work out but do not want to put myself at elevated risk.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:03 pm ET

The GOP deemed funding for pandemic preparation was extravagant in the stimulus package, therefore it was axed and playing a critical role was Senator Susan Collins.

(( Thank you GOP for your insightful decisions.)) With a potential pandemic pending, the population of this country may be greatly decreased!

Because the funding for pandemic was axed, many nurses that work for health care agency were just laid off. I live 60 miles from Mexico and work for Health Care Agency of the local government. I CAN TELL YOU RIGHT NOW, WE ARE NOT… PREPARED for this!

The CDC says “facemask without respirators are NOT designed to protect you against breathing in very small particles.

John G.   April 27th, 2009 9:04 pm ET

Because of the multiple strains of the bird flu, pig flu and human flu, could this be a human-designed virus. How likely is it that it’s artificially-made? And is someone looking into it?

Best wishes to all those fallen-ill
John.

BoPeep   April 27th, 2009 9:05 pm ET

My 8 year old daughter has diabetes...how do I protect her?

Dan Nelson   April 27th, 2009 9:05 pm ET

Hi Larry, the swine flu must be now affecting people to people and I've heard that while it is infecting people to people it will be harder to control. Does this mean that it will mutate and be more resistant that medicines and we will not be able to control it? Can WHO get a handle on it or are we just hoping that this swine flu will not be serious enough and our immune systems will be able to resist this swine flu?

Mitchell VerVoort   April 27th, 2009 9:05 pm ET

Are there any restrictions to re-entering the country if you have flu like symptoms? My son is displaying flu like symptoms in BELIZE (adjacent to Mexico) so I am flying him home early tomorrow. Could he be quarantined at the airport or denied entry?

Karin   April 27th, 2009 9:06 pm ET

Do you think the swine flu would of gotten this much attention if people in the ghetto were getting sick instead of US private/prep schools?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:06 pm ET

My concern is that if it does become pandemic, we will have hundreds of thousands of people from mexico flooding the USA and bringing with them more cases of the flu. '

I almost died from the Hong Kong flu and must tell you, if you have never been that sick, you have no idea what this is all about.

josie   April 27th, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Why not be proactive and allow no flights to leave mexico for a month or two?

Michelle   April 27th, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Larry,
Thanks for the broadcast tonight. Please CNN keep us informed of all updates. I appreciate you and your hard work and dedication.
Good Job!!!

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:08 pm ET

I have plans to go to Mexico City May 15 for the Vive Latino festival. I hope it still happens because I'm still going.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:09 pm ET

@ Dan Nelson

We have NO immunity to this flu, that is why It is so dangerous. It is a new to human strain. Therefore, we have not developed the anti-bodies to protect us.

Rob Pascal   April 27th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

I was recently in Mexico City from April 16-21, and returned without any swine flu symptoms. It should be noted that the higher death rates in Mexico City could be attributed to the enviornmental conditions such as poor air quality due tohigh levels of air pullution and the fact the city is 7200 feet above sea level.

Michelle   April 27th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

is it safe to eat produce imported from Mexico?

Sam   April 27th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

CNN needs to get some perspective and stop spreading fear.
Remember 35,000 people die every year from seasonal flu in the US. This is being overblown.

Susan Lake   April 27th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

I just heard on a news report that all ports of entry will be handing out cards/information regarding swine flu. That's all well and good, but what about the vast numbers of illegals that come across the borders undetected? Does anyone care that they could be carriers of swine flu and other serious health conditions? What have U.S. citizens already been exposed to over the past years due to the increase of the illegal population? It's time the government steps up to the plate and does something about deporting illegals.

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

This is very mysterious. My hunch is that it is a result of corporate hog farms , where countless hogs are jammed together in their own feces and made to grow, with the use of hormones , so large corporations( who moved to Mexico to pay very cheap labor costs) can enjoy immense profits while these inhumane conditions have set up an ideal medium to breed species to human disease.

Gegi   April 27th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

We should be careful how we report this, this could be a way of seeing how fast a created deadly virus or bio weapon could be spread through out the U.S.

Dwayne Smith   April 27th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

I just returned from Cancun today. I am going to the doctor tomarrow. My question is will the doctor be able to tell if I have it when I go tomarrow. Is there an antibody present??? Also, Everyone at work does not want me to come back to work, they are worried ,, it has hurt me bad,, I feel fine right now. Is there an incubation period.

Dwayne

Norman   April 27th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

The networks are reporting that the masks for the virus is usless. Is this true?

Jorge Motola   April 27th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

I believe it is important to mention that the swine flu did not start in Mexico, but in the United States; however, it's developed in Mexico City and San Luis Potosí. We are very concerned here in Mexico and schools have been closed until next May 6th.

Sam   April 27th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

Finally Dr. Gupta adds some perspective.

Andy   April 27th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

Why not an infectious disease expert? Oz is a cardiologist, Gupta is neuro surgeon, and Arnot is a media________MD? A primary care doctor would better be able to answer your questions, and an epidemiologist would be far better ... how low is your standard? this is serious, your reporting doesn't seem to be.

Kate Ogden   April 27th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

No, I'm not concerned. I live in California and survie living in the downtown LA area 🙂 Nothing tops that!!!

Nick   April 27th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

I'd like to find out the likelihood of this virus mutating again? I’ve heard that the virus, as it is right now , is a unique combination of many different viruses, but doesn’t pose a huge threat to humans other than being stuck at home sick for a couple days. How concerned are officials and how likely is it that the virus will mutate again? Are there any test mechanisms in place to check for ‘likelihood of mutation’? I haven't heard any comment that has directly answered this question.

alberta   April 27th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

Friends have just returned from western mexican cruise, and only went ashore 2 times. Husband Very ill with fever body aches, coughing, wife just begining to feel bad coughing and tired but back at work in Hawaii. We are concerned for them, but she thinks its something else! when should we be concerned?

Stacy   April 27th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

What is the projected time frame for it not to be considered epidemic?

Frank   April 27th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

How come no one is talking about the food or crops?
Why is it limited to surfaces and Human/Human?

Dwayne Smith   April 27th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

follow up my phone number... 9416261136

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

Susan dear, 'vast amounts of illegals' are not crossing the border. Dont be silly. In fact theres many more headed home to Mexico than comming here right now. Have some common sense.

Daniel   April 27th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

This is not necessarily a new strain of virus. It may have occurred in the past and we just didn't know about it. Why hasn't the media asked the question: why is it killing in Mexico but not in the United States? I think we must ask about Mexico's past – where many of the people there has genetic linkage to both the Spanish and the native peoples (Aztecs, Toltecs, Mayans). We must remember that science has only recently begun to believe that the plague and epidemic that wiped out the Aztecs in the Mexico City valley most likely was not brought to the New World from Europe as previously believed, but was a native disease that lies dormant in the wildlife in the central Mexican and southwestern US until it reaches a "spillover stage". This mysterious "Aztec Fever" could possibly be a form of animal-to-human flu strain that has now resurfaced as "Swine Flu" and perhaps the people of the Mexico City valley have a genetic vulnerability to this particular strain due to the Aztec connection. Shouldn't doctors be testing the sick to determine their DNA background to see who might be needing to be treated first?

Carol Hines   April 27th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

Why can't we close the US/Mexico border to protect us from the swine flu?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

@ jack

I agree with you and my hunch is that we have been genetically altering pigs so we could use their heart valves and arteries making them compatible with us.

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

I would like to ask a question about swine flu i was wondering if you are more likely to contract it if you are already sick or if you have the same likeliness to obtain it. Thanks.

NancyB   April 27th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Can we eat the produce that comes in to the US from Mexico?

Mike   April 27th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

I am concerned about the swine flu... It is frightening!

Axel Borge   April 27th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

As an exchange student is strange how differently the media focuses on the issue of the swine flu. By looking at how news treats this, both here and home, my impression is that it is being "maximized" much more in American news, then in European news, despite the fact that it is just as contagious`and reports of cases has been confirmed there as well. Why is that? Is the virus more dangerous here? And judging by the reporting it is easy to believe that this the next "black plague", should it not perhaps be toned down and rather focus on prevention, rather than the angle "we are all going to get it"? Fair to say that it is a serious outbreak that can have severe implications, but it is as mentioned perhaps in danger of being over-exposed and helping create a unneeded "hysteria"?

Susan Sawyer   April 27th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

My son and his wife are scheduled to go on a cruise next week to Ensenada. They have a 5 month old baby who will not be on the cruise. Should they cancel this trip?

sandy   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Is anything being done on the Mexican side at preventing people to cross border? Are mexicans being told to cancel any trips out of their country and if no why? Do we know where exactly this flu started?

Julie   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

could the swine flu epidemic in Mexico have been caused by the factory farms?? or could it have been started in the rural areas where farms are not regulated???

Andrew Stein   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Preparation always helps, but it's sometimes counter intuitive to do the wrong kind of preparation. Many people just don't understand what they personally need to do and jump right into whatever they are told to do, even if it makes no sense at all. This could turn out bad, but let's not panic and make rash decisions.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

If the swine flu was discovered in mexico, why did they not quarintine the entire country. Now that it's too late, the flu is all over the world because people think that it will cost them "too much money" to close the border to Mexico. Because of this selfish act, millions of people are at risk. If this flu reaches an undeveloped country, they will all be dead before we know it. IT"S TOO LATE.

bigbadwolf   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Should we blame Bill Clinton's NAFTA passage for the free flu trade?

Lisa Discoe   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

I do think that we should close our borders with Mexico to keep the swine flu from spreading anymore that it has. I know that this sounds extreme, but we really need to take direct action on this issue.

n2motherhood   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

How do we know that more people haven't had it already, who have been to the dr. or ER but because we didn't know about the outbreak, they weren't checked for it. My family have had members with all the symptoms of the flu/swineflu...my granddaughter and grand neice both became really ill but neither were diagnosed with it. Also a co-worker where my son-in-law is employeed died not to many days ago from being very ill. He was hispanic and very possibly could have been to mexico recently. My son in law has been ill twice with the same flu symptoms. How do we know our family didn't have the swine flu? Will hospitals and Dr.'s office look back on the people they have treated over the past couple weeks to see if any could have possibly had the swine flu? and last but not least, how many illegal immigrants might be sick right now with it, but because they are here in the states illegally they are not reporting it?

Dawn   April 27th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER :
Do you think that Elderberry Extract 175 mg could help protect against this Flu ? New Chapter has this product called Immune take care that has Elderberry Extract and would 175mg be enough to protect you against be a victim of this flu ? I am trying to take whatever the Doctors on your show think may help protect against this Flu and if it is possible then it is better to be safe than sorry..
Hope to hear the answer , Thank you

Arun   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Its time for everyone to consider becoming a vegetarian. No factory farming, no poor treatment of animals, no mad cow, avian flu or swine flu. Health for all.

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

We live in a globally connected would via air sea and land. Closing the land border is not going to prevent anything. Those kids in NY didnt walk accross the border.

Carlos Lopez   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I ive in Puebla, and I'm watching the tv program, and I would like that someone tell why you american people is so sure that this flu has born in Mexico, both countries eat pork meal....I know that thats not the reason...

Ntungamili   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

are the signs and symptoms of swine flue any different from those of an ordinary flu

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

It's curious that, no matter what, our border with Mexico remains accessible to illegal entrants. How can there be a check to see whether those who come here are NOT carrying the infectious pathogens? Why isn't the government concerned enough to close that border...NOW?

Nicole D   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Does the swine flu have any relation to SARs?

Brian   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I believe taking a "proactive" approach instead of a "reactive" approach is the best way to handle this situation.

LoriAnn Berry   April 27th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I am a nurse who works in a plasma donation center. We are mandated by the FDA. We process around 700 donations a day. Are there any precautions that the CDC will take to protect the plasma banks as well as whole blood donations such as the RED CROSS?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

Carol:

Good question. I would like to see the border closed now. Just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

"can we eat the produce"? come on now , have some sense. Are you serious? Pay attention.

linda wilsen   April 27th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

I feel it is better to overprotect the public, and contain this threat in any way necessary. This is a very serious multi changing strain.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Jim: I agree... and we need to stop all flights from Mexico and just watch how this unfolds first.

Helen   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Maybe this will prompt the gov to finally attempt to close the borders. It is probably not possible because we are so far behind. The crime has increased dramatically in the border states. I hears a caller from CT say migrant workers are on the way for the summer- how are they going to control this?

gareth quirke   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

gareth- maybe there should be a ban on flying to mexico.

Bruce Erratt   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

To close a border, you have to control the border. We do not control the border, therefore, we have no way to close the border.

David D.   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Madagascar has closed their ports to contain the virus.

Rahele   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

My school district has been giving out letters about the swine flu, after only ONE case with a student. I understand that its better to be criticized by doing to much , than little. Do you believe this flu epidemic is going to get better by us obliviously being proactive……or get worse???

David John   April 27th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

The mixture of humor coverning the subject matter of age, sex, intelligence, and a gifted school teacher formed a winning combination that I have never seen before in this industry. I lost my 3yr olds son in a traffic accident after returning from Disney florida, and all attempts to get past these sad memories failed, until i started watching the Golden Girls.

Ii am pleased to note that because of the humerous nature of the show, I am still alive today on the planet earth. The only question that that i could think of for my dear friends is as follows: It was impossible for me to select my number best perfomer among the ladies. Why ?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Yes, Ebola is droplets right now.

Arun   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

It is time for everyone to consider becoming a vegetarian. No factory farming, no poor treatment of animals, no swine flu, no avian flu or mad cow. Health for all.

Marisol   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

What about the A/H1N1 being an often case detected on U.S's farms?

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

100,000 people come over here every day in San Diego alone. Do you have any idea how much money those people pour into San Diego? you want to stop international commerce for the flu?

thomas Fagan   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Mr King.

I sent Dr Gupta information on a technology that is probably the answer to not only this flu but all strains of flu. Not a joke. The FDA has been reviewing the clinical results for the past 5 years. clinical trial shows that it works when tamiflu stops working.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

Masks are no good unless they are N95 respirator ... see CDC

lourdes alonso   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I think they should close the borde with Mexico, I live in florida and I dont think we shooulf be expose unnecesarilly. Tnank you

alpacinofan   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I think they should close the border, because people are going to continue to come back and forth, and without checking EVERY CAR that comes to the US, and checking EVERYONE'S HEALTH, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep infected people out!!!!

Tony Frank   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Will resorts in Mexico be closed?

Terry   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Hello Larry
If we are concerned about closing borders, to prevent swine flu entering the US, why is Sanja Gupta down in Mexcio, and will we allow him back in the country before this flu is under control?

Gary D.   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

2 Pakistanis died in Mexico: Was this germ warfare?

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

I'm planning on going to Mexico City on May 15th. Like I said, I am PLANNING to go.

ArtemG   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Swine Flu and regular flu what's the difference?

Sheri P.   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Does this Swine Flu behave like H5N1 affecting the lower respiratory tract? Or, does it affect the upper respiratory tract, like a common influenza?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Jim: And if this becomes pandemic, you would have wished we stopped international flights from Mexico...

tink   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

has anyone looked at a connection between the air pollution in Mexico City and the fatalities there that have not occured in other places?

Jackie   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

If Mexico knew that they had a problem with the swine flu.. why didn't they inform the WHO weeks ago, instead of allowing many college students to enter their country for the sake of building their tourism dollars? Should't they be held accountable?

Marisol   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

what abouth the A/H1N1, has been one of the most often cases of porks deseases at the U.S.'s farms?

linda wilsen   April 27th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Will the current flu vaccine cover any part of this type of flu? Or should one repeat the vaccine?

John   April 27th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Will this reach all around the world?

Jack s   April 27th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Do we have enough supply for everyone in America who has health insurance.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

why did the counrty not get quarintined until it passed over?

mary   April 27th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

I GOT SENT TO THE DOCTOR FROM MY JOB BECAUSE OF FLU SYMPTOMS. MY DOCTOR DIAGNOSED ME WITH THE FLU AND SAID HE DIDN'T THINK IT WAS THE SWINE BECAUSE THERE HAS NOT BEEN ANY CASES HERE IN HOUSTON, TX. NOW, HE TOLD ME THAT I WAS THE FIRST WITH THE FLU THAT HE HAS SEEN THIS MONTH... HE PRESCRIBED TAMIFLU BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO IF GET WORSE OR HOW WILL I KNOW TO GO BACK... I HAVE NO HEALTH INSURANCE AND WHAT I HAVE TO GET BLOODWORK DONE?

Shelley - Ontario Canada   April 27th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

What cleaning products should be used when attempting to kill this virus (like waiting room furniture etc).

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

@Dodie...yes, they have been using swine transplants on humans for years because of organic similarities...new measures should be looked into around the world to Stop inhumanne hog farms as well as placing safeguards on porcine-primate research

Kelly Hill   April 27th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

I work in a factory and we import alot of parts from Mexico. Can the virus linger on these imported parts? If so, for how long? Should there be cause for alarm from any in coming shipments from Mexico.

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Oh my god, the underlying racisim and bias from you people is disgusting. Quarenteen an entire country? Cancel my maid? Dont eat the produce? I'm shocked at the level of ignorance going on here.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Jim...

You have the choice to do what ever you want. I almost died of the Hong Kong flu running 106+ temperature leaving me with a learning disorder for the rest of my life because I burned too many brain cells. You have no idea what you are fooling with and once you are sick... its too late to say, I wish I had not....

Jeff Pakula   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

I would like to know if anyone knows what has or will happen to the pigs from this dreaded flu?

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Im 16 years old and i think that because people didn't act fast about more health concerns, over 6 BILLION people are at risk. NO ONE IS SAFE. DON"T EAT ANY PRODUCE FROM MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

My girlfriend is flying into Chicago from London on the 1st, should she cancel her trip?

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

the thought of a pandemic in the world is a scary one and i don't know if people would be able to handle this especially if other cases out of Mexico become deadly

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

You cannot get swine-flu from eating pork. Flu viruses are spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing of people with influenza. Sometimes people may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose. One cannot get swine-flu from produce but people could get other diseases from produce–like salmonella.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

They say the flu is NOT contained in pork meat. It is from person to person

nathaniel   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Cough/sneeze in your elbow, not your hand, then you aren't contagious! Toronto Public Health is recommending this (we've had practise with the SARS epidemic)

Isabelle Villeneuve   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

My Kids (14 yrs) are traveling to Dallas, Texas for the Vex Robotics Competition the Dallas Convention Center this week. Should I give the medicine for prevention. Should they carry masks. Please help me.

Greeting from Puerto Rico

isabelle

bigbadwolf   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

a swine flu. I didn't think pigs could fly.

Jeff   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Early in the swine flu epidemic they reported 2 Pakistanis died in Mexico City. Could this have been germ warfare by Al Qaeda?

Debbie segal   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

How long does the Swine Flu virus live and remain active on produce? Is it possible for the virus to come in to the United States through produce?

Brenda   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

I had the flu last week after visiting a doctor office for my son. Within 12 hours I was flat on my back with what I believe was the flu. Worst symptom was how my skin felt. It burned and hurt to even remove clothing. I was very sick for 3 days. How would one know if this was a normal flu or the swine flu?

Sam   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

The CDC and the Canadian National Lab are mapping the entire gnome and starting the developmeny of a vaccine, but will take 3 to 6 months.

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Are we going to be able to have enough "treatments" for the swine flu if it does become pandemic such as tamiflu?

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

I think that just because a country needs to be quarintined due to severe health concerns doesn't make us racist.

Betty   April 27th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

I am right next to the border with Mexico and San Diego county. I don't think freaking out is going to help matters. I will be as vigilant as possible by washing hands, which I do now ,being careful around anyone who seems to be either coughing or sneezing. When the time comes time we will be staying in not being able to even go food shopping. So if it comes if not then it doesn't. I have worked in the medical field for 20 years and not had the flu or any kind since the Hong Kong flu. So it's not as if I have not been exposed. We have a greater exposure factor for us here on the border, but being cautious is the way to go for me.

Kathleen   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Is there any danger from pork in the food supply? ( I am tuning in late, so perhaps this was already covered)

chris   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Stay clean, and always wash your hands ofter you shake hands.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Brian, I would only restrict vacationing in Mexico. I plan to Fly to Shanghai, Beijing and Dalian, China. Unless it becomes pandemic, I will still go on my trip

Dawn   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Elderberry is the berry of the black elder tree (Sambucus nigra). Elderberry is an excellent source of vitamins A, B and C. Its constituents may also strengthen the body's immune system. Elderberries contain bioflavonoids and anthocyanins, which positively influence cell function.

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

It sounds as if the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" are here!

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

REGULAR FLU KILLS 30,000 PEOPLE EVERY YEAR!!! DON'T OVER REACT, BUT TAKE PRE-CAUTIONS.

Tony Frank   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Will they close the resorts in Mexico? I'm supposed to go there in three weeks!

Tony Frank   April 27th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Will they close the resorts in Mexico? I'm supposed to go there in three weeks!

Ambreen Delawalla   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Where in Mexico did the infected Queens students visit? I have family that recently went to Cancun. Should I be worried?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

The only problem is, right now, we do NOT have enough Tamiflu available.

Sally Le Corvec   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

With the already genetically engineered corn that's been mixed into the main corn crop that affects the human DNA play a role in this swine flu especially with the young children more susceptible?

Investigation needed...Very little talk about the Perote, Mexico contamination source of the pig Smithfield
believed the outbreak had been caused by contamination from pig breeding farms located in Perote, Mexico. They believed that the farms, operated by Granjas Carroll, polluted the atmosphere and local water bodies, which in turn led to the disease outbreak. According to residents, the company denied responsibility for the outbreak and attributed the cases to “flu.” However, a municipal health official stated that preliminary investigations indicated that the disease vector was a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste and that the outbreak was linked to the pig farms. It was unclear whether health officials had identified a suspected pathogen responsible for this outbreak.

Discuss those foods that are naturally antiviral that can help.

Daniel   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Time to switch to the Namaste in lieu of the handshake. I do this in church during the peace greeting when I have the flu.

Dana   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

what we should do is stop allowing these illegals into this country and bringing these diseases with them and then after all that start sending all the rest of them back to where they belong.

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Dodie dont you think you should take ANY precautions for the swine flu?

Chuck M   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

is produce from mexico safe?

is food on the shelf safe?

Justin   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Im glad to see Betty White and Rue McClanahan are going to be on via phone to talk about Bea Arthur, so sad she passed on Saturday- great stage, film, and television actress...

On a side note Ive got a horrible sore throat, cough, and fever- should I go to the dr? I live in Iowa- yeah Gay Marriage!!!!

tink   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

I live near chicago and there are no cases here. I shouldn't be a problem, Brian.

Lauren   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Notably, the 3 animals society consumes on a regular basis (cows, pigs and chickens) have caused the most problems. Mad cow disease, avian flu and now swine flu. Maybe we're doing something wrong? These animals are raised in unnatural living conditions, are feed food they are not supposed eat, and given antibiotics and growth hormones they are not supposed to take. Just something to look at...

Clyde   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

As I am watching the reports on the swine flu I can't help but notice the way people wear their masks. And how they are putting their hands directly on the filter parts of the masks. If they do that and there happens to be some virus on the mask then they touch their face after moving the mask. Or touch someone else. Clyde from Vermont.

James Reilly   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

I had a Swine flu vaccination in 1976. Will that protect me at all?

daniel   April 27th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

what was the name of the drug that was just mentioned on Larry king Live that is best to take in case I have a flu and dont want it to get worse

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

There are questions about the risk of using tamniflu, especially on a wide scale, as this may create a more virulent form of the virus, and catapult what may be a relatively small virus into a 1918 Spanish-flu type outbreak... I am undecided if i would accept it....especially if it became "mandatory," because that may indicate an agenda for profit etc. We will know soon if this is a tempest in a teapot type virus or a worldwide nightmare...

peter mckenna   April 27th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

larry what about border patrol agents that come in contact every night on the boreders what measures are being taken so that they do not infect there fam and so on and so on

Eva Dusil   April 27th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Is there any swine flu in the Arab countries? They don't eat pork!? Eva.

Gina   April 27th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

I remember being vaccinated for swine flu in the late 1970's. Is this simply a different strain of that same swine flu?

probbins   April 27th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Sick people should stay home from work!

MGVroom   April 27th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

If you contract the swine flu will you then be immune?

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

Could this be BIO-TERRORISM? It's off to a heck of a start, if it is!

Sam   April 27th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

Why aren't the US and Canada sending a few million doses of Tamiflu to Mexico both countries have about 65,000,000 doses stockpiled.
Mexico only has about 1,000,000 doses and purchased 400,000 more today.

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Excellent question!

Paula   April 27th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Larry and other Doctor's,

If and I say "IF' the swine flu get's worse I would think some employer's would let their employee's work from home if they can do so. I know this wouldn't be possible for everyone but we are set up so my husband can work from the house.

This is something I haven't heard so far today.

Thanks and Take Care,

Paula

tink   April 27th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

Shelley, using bleach to clean areas where someone is sick or has been sick is a very good choice to kill pathogens

Brian Peters   April 27th, 2009 9:39 pm ET

I think we should be very cautious about this new flu virus but shouldn't be worried because no one has died in America and we have a great medical system here

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

I have always marvelled at how many nasty people there are, who yawn, sneeze and cough without covering their mouths! Maybe this will cure them of those foul habits...

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

@tink How can you be sure it isn't there, and you don't know about it yet? A city as large as Chicago has probably had many travelers to Mexico City for instance, and the incubation period is 4 days or so.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

@ Sally Le Corvec April 27th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

We already genetically engineer everything. That is why so many people are having problems with digestion.

I also think that we have been fooling around with pig DNA in order to make it compatible with our DNA so we could use their heart valves and arteries. This could be a result of us fooling around too

Brian Peters   April 27th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Sad to see her go she was very funny and a great person.

Pia   April 27th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

My son iis 16 yrs old and just came down with a head congestion, no fever yet but I'm monitoring him. He ate very well today but still feels sick, as in heavy head, yellowish/greenish flem and fatigued. A friend who goes to same school with him, also came down with sore throat today, yellow flem and heavy congestion. His brother was sick with fever last week. What is the name of something like Theraflue that i have heard over the news but not clearly, so I can't make out the name yet?. I am being very watchful in case he gets a fever to take him to emergency. Hoping is just a head cold.

Sharon   April 27th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Why are the cruise lines not doing the responsible thing and suspending travel to Mexico? As in the case of inclement weather, they could simply divert and go to another port! This only seems like common sense in this situation.

Noelle, Larry   April 27th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Can Pregnant women take Temaflu? or is it a drug that could harm the Fetus?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Gina

Its a new strain in which we have no anti-bodies for defense.

bigbadwolf   April 27th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Maybe Pres. Obama will promise free health care for all of Mexico too so this swine flu doesn't come back. If you put lipstick on a pig with swine flu will it still be a sick pig? Did swine flu take Bea Arthur?

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

THERE IS NO CURE! THAT'S WHY THEIR NOT SENDING OVER VACCINATIONS!!!!!

William   April 27th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

Bea was a treasure, No one could pull off a zinger like her.

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

There was a story on CNN Headline News tonight, which says that there is a theory that the "factory market" technique of warehousing pigs in cages, which are so small that they cannot change position, and must lay in their own body-waste, might be the genesis of swine flu.

tom   April 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

.Just saw my family Dr. tonight for the virus bug going around. He had now idea of any symptoms or info on swine flue. He said none of the professional groups have subscription email to have him updated.
He agree we need the Stimulus money spent on getting our Doctors in the 21 st century

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

If you have had vsome eposure to swine flu in past, you may have certain amount of immunity. Those who have had no exposure, who have lived in a largely prophalactic environment may face greatest risk , regardless of age...

Sarah Probst Miller   April 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

It is interesting to note that the 1918 flu was orginally blamed on a virus originating in swine. Current information shows that the 1918 human flu is how pigs originally got H1N1. So H1N1 although often called swine virus originally was given to pigs by humans not the other way around.

Unfortunately, calling this virus swine flu has caused panic in regards to US pork exports. The virus is actually a mix of swine, avian and human genes. Several countries including China have closed down US pork exports even though this virus is not transfered via meat and has not been diagnosed in US swine. Consequently, US pig prices have dropped to the limit. This is devestating to US pork producers.

We are doing our best to protect the US swine herd at this time via increased biosecurity and education.

Cleve Gunderson   April 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Larry; it seems most flu victims in Mexico are dying from pneumonia
complications as a result of the flu. Why arn't our health officials
telling everyone to get their pneumonia shots now?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Sam

We don't have enough Tamiflu for us. The GOP deemed funding for pandemic preparation was extravagant in the stimulus package, therefore it was axed

(( Thank you GOP for your infinite wisdom))

Mary Lynn Winters   April 27th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Bea, Thanks for the laughter. You will be missed.

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Dawn wrote earlier:
Elderberry is the berry of the black elder tree (Sambucus nigra). Elderberry is an excellent source of vitamins A, B and C. Its constituents may also strengthen the body’s immune system. Elderberries contain bioflavonoids and anthocyanins, which positively influence cell function.

There's also a California & N. Mexico native shrub called Blue Elderberry (Sambucus mexicana or Sambucus caerulea). I have one in my garden, but they are common in most coastal areas and further inland. It also is high in bioflavonoids and anthocyanins.
PLEASE don't eat RED Elderberry–it is highly poisonous!

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Paula i agree with you that sound like a reasonable source for the outbreak of swine flu but how exactly do you think it was transmitted from pigs to humans?

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

President Obama seems to be more concerned with the health and wellbeing of Afghans, than he is Americans! He sends troops to guard their borders, but leaves our southern border as accessible as a neighborhood Walmart! Maybe, if we all move to Afghanistan, we'll get the things we all need...

Art Hayden   April 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

So sorry to hear about Ms. Bea's passing. I am a middle-aged, white male who enjoys watching the Golden Girls every night. I had hoped for a reunion show. When Ms. Estelle passed away I thought it probably would never happen. Now with Ms. Bea's passing, I'm sure it never will. God Bless these wonderful actresses.

dave   April 27th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

Hello Larry King,

My family & myself love the golden girls & still watch them daily.Please tell the ladies we love them & will miss Bea Arthur & Estella getty too. Dave

Terrance Youngblood   April 27th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Bea Arthur was phenomenal. I found her small part in Mel Brooks' "History of the World: Part I" hilarious. Such deadpan humor. You don't see anything like that nowadays. God bless you, Bea Arthur.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

ONLY 55% OF AMERICANS KNOW THAT THE SUN IS A STAR

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Michael...I don't know. The discussion got a little too involved for me to follow! Sorry!

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

Paula... I understand pigs have always had this flu and have the antibodies to protect them. Because its new to us, is what makes it dangerous

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

Alexander ((( LOL )))

Jim   April 27th, 2009 9:49 pm ET

i have to stop reading this im so pissed at you people....lol. geez come on now, who ever said anything about the food? where do you get such dumb ideas? pay attention people. I guess we better quarenteen new your while were at it.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

THE ONLY BOOK THAT HAS BEEN MORE DISTRIBUTED THAN THE BIBLE IS THE IKEA CATALOGUE!!!!!!!

Sam   April 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

Dodie, I think it is in our interest to help Mexico control this – a few million doses could be replaced.

Patrick Jones   April 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

We will all miss Bea Arthur and her great talent! I realize all these ladies did more than The Golden Girls in their career, but they always make me laugh and I appreciate all the fun they bring us all even today!

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

There was a woman on television today, who said that this particular swine flu strain would REALLY "...be a mess...", as she put it, if it ever joined-up with yet ANOTHER strain of viral pathogens which is TOTALLY ressistant to vaccines!!! The two combined would be heck, to pay, for the world!

Mara   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Bea Arthur was my favorite on the Golden Girls I still watch re-runs...All of the girls are wonderful but Dorothy was definately my favorite! How sad.

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

@Dodie...yes, you can count on the anti-science GOPs to make brilliant choices...no wonder they are becoming increasingly irrelevant , as far as being taken seriously...they are best at spewing hate and supporting torture

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

jack i think you are wrong if you have been exposed to it in the past which is impossible really at this point since it is new. You would be FULLY immune since it is a virus. You cant be partially immune to go in between its protected. your partially PROTECTED

SPM   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

One thing that is important to realize is that with indoor housed swine we have a better ability to control what gets in and what gets out, virus-wise and people-wise. When we keep pigs in protected indoor environments we give them a cleaner place to live and eat and we can better monitor and control disease. We also can give them better care when we can corral them to treat them if necessary. If we had backyard operations like China and Mexico, there is less control. Look at China and ”blue ear” disease. Millions and millions of pigs dead because backyard operations allowed the disease to spread like wildfire . . . no control, a perfect environment for rapid disease spread. Mexico and China do have modern units as well but both countries also have a large backyard population of swine. It is true, when a virus like flu enters into a pig barn population or into a school of children, the virus spreads rapidly. But because pigs are naturally "quarantined" in the building until ready for market, the likelihood of spread to other pigs is reduced. If they were backyard and allowed to roam, that would be a different case. Usually in a swine barn, most pigs in the barn get infected quickly and then there are no more susceptible pigs. The pigs remain there until market. Then the building is emptied as pigs go to market. The building is then cleaned, disinfected and dried and any potential virus killed. The next population of swine does not get exposed to the previous virus in most cases, thus interrupting transmission.

Some also good news that media has not picked up is that it is likely that our current commercial vaccines for pigs will very likely protect pigs. Of course the pigs have to have the vaccine to remain protected, but a high percentage of the US swine population is currently vaccinated, especially sows. Most pork producers have some form a flu vaccine on-board on their sow herds. More good news is that the sow immunity is transferred to piglet and likely protects them for half of their life in the wean to market buildings. So this more than halves the amount of susceptible US swine when vaccine is on-board at the sow farm.

Pigs got inappropriately blamed for the 1918 flu virus and it took decades to clear their name. Let's not be too quick to ruin the good name of the pig with this one.

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Alexander Beavan...LOL!!!!!

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Hugh – I also understand that the good ole black berry that grows here, is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory.. A, C, and E.. even better than the famed blueberry. Goji berries from Tibet are also awesome

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

iT IS ILLEGAL TO PRONOUNCE ARKANSAS WRONG IN ARKANSAS

notablogger   April 27th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Mexico!!!! What about AIDS?? Terrorsim??? Liberalism??? Come on America!! Think!!!!!! Look back!!!! Think of your children and grandchildren. Think about our veterans, who gave their lives to make a safe country. Don't forget them!!!!!! We are slowing dying.

Chad B.   April 27th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Bea reminds me of my own grandmother and she will greatly missed

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

IT IS ILLEGAL TO OT SMILE IN POCATELLO IDAHO

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

I see Alexander is our blog comedian. Good for you. We need a good laugh...

Julie   April 27th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

I believe Bea Arthur died of Lung Cancer and was too ashamed about it.

jack   April 27th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

@Michael...yes, That is what I think also, partially protected, since this is a new strain

Dede Vandyke   April 27th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

It seems to be only a ploy to monitor the LEGAL entry
points into the US, but not to recognize that the majority
of Swine Flu in Mexico is with the poorer population, and
the poorer population does not find it's way into the
US illegally.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

Mia... Mia... Mia...Mia – I would recommend doing something other than a hunger strike regarding your Darfur outrage. How about recruiting Woody Allen and others to make a documentary of the genocide and the 2.7 million refugees who have been forced from their homes in Darfur. The UNHCR (The UN Refugee Agency) is involved and accepting contributions.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

IN JAPAN, IT IS COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE TO NAME YOUR CHILD BUTTOCKS OR PROSTITIUTE.

TOO ALL READING THESE COMMENTS FROM ME... THESE ARE TRUE FACTS!!!!!

Peter Bush   April 27th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

When I was a young actor on my first visit to LA in 1986, I dropped of a fan letter to Ms Arthur at the Sunset Gower Studios where "Godlen Girls" filmed. Upon my return to NY Ms. Arthur had taken the time to send me a personal note thanking me for my note and saying she was sorry that we had not met in person but that she trusted that I would fnd success and satisfaction in my acting dreams. That is the definition of class. A comedic genius on the stage, screen and tv and a thoughtful person on so many levels. We all will miss your brilliant timing and unique voice.

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

@jack thank you for your response

Marianne from Utah   April 27th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

Too bad Darfur doesn't have oil. Maybe we would help then.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE ATTACKED BY A COW THAN A SHARK.

Brenda Hanigan   April 27th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Hi there, writing in about Bea Arthur, I watched that show for 10 yrs, and will miss her so much!

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

Mia.

Make a documentary film. You would get a whole lot more attention than starving yourself. You have the connections. Ask Woody Allen for some help. You could do so much more...

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

THERE ARE APPROX. 250 DEATHS EACH YEAR FROM COCONUTS!

Michael   April 27th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

OK seriously starving yourself for a country isn't the smartest thing you can do killing yourself doesn't make people think "oh no ill stop so you can live" they think "then let them die if they try to die" do more by working with them getting any type of help for them DON'T KILL YOURSELF

David D.   April 27th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

The swine flu has broken out in Canada.

Michael   April 27th, 2009 10:01 pm ET

ok before people comment i mean the conditions you put yourself in cause you to take damage in your body its really not smart

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 10:01 pm ET

@Dodie in Irvine, CA,
I absolutely love blackberry pie–it's my favorite–with a side of vanilla ice-cream.

I also agree with your point about bio-engineered food. Nature has been doing it naturally for millions of years. I for one am not afraid to to eat bio-engineered corn. One day science may be able to bio-engineer food that cannot harbor samonella. That would make one heathier salad!

Jo Ann   April 27th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

It is a wonderful thing that Mia Farrow is doing calling attention to Darfur. I always hear about the white celebs like Clooney, Bono, Farrow, Damon, but where are all the black celebrities? Why doesn't Oprah or Jamie Fox go on a hunger strike? They have a black president in the White House why don't they take advantage of it for this purpose?

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

PAIN TRAVELS THROUGH YOUR BODY ATE 350FT PER SECOND.

IM 16 ATTEMPTING TO STOP WATCHING THAT DAMNED IDIOT BOX
(T.V.)

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

WAL-MART GENERATES $3,000,000 EVERY 7 MINUTES

CAROLYN CARR   April 27th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

DEAR LARRY....I'VE BEEN SO SADDENED BY THE LOSS OF BEA ARTHUR AND I HOPE SHE AND BETTY AND RHUE NO HOW MUCH JOY THEY AND ESTELLE GEDDES BROUGHT TO SO MANY...FOR ME MY MOTHER AND FATHER WERE GREAT FANS,,,THEY WATCHED THE SHOWS OVER AND OVER ...AND YET LAUGHED AS THOUGH THEY WERE HEARING FOR THE FIRST TIME...MY DAD WAS IN A NURSING HOME FOR YEARS UNTIL HE DIED IN 1998...HE WAS TOTALLY BLIND AND BEDRIDDEN MOST OF THE TIMES,,,I BROUGHT HIM TAPES OF THE GOLDEN GIRLS...AND ALTHOUGH HE COULD NOT SEE, HE REMEMBERED EVERY EXPRESSION.....ESPECIALLY BEA ARTHUR...MAKES ME SMILE .

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

WHISPERING IS MORE WEARING ON YOUR VOICE THAN REGULAR SPEAKING.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

@ Hugh

One day science may be able to bio-engineer us, so we do not get sick! 🙂

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

Alexander Beavan. You must be extremely bored ( lol )

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

To the people of Mexican heritage who may be offended by comments. I cannot speak for others , but I respect the people of Mexico and think you have a great country with a wonderful heritage. My problem only resides in the illegal movement of people into US. I know this may seem like an attack against your heritage etc. , but this isn't the case. Every country has a program for LEGAL immigration, to insure that other countries around the world have reasonable access. I am sure Mexico has immigration policies as well. As a citizen of the US, now, you should also be concerned about the health, economic, crime, and other issues that unrestrained illegal immigration might cause. As a more liberal leaning person, I think we should do all we can to help citizens, and from there other countries.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

IDENTIFY A FAKE: THE SECOND HAND ON AN AUTHENTIC WATCH DOES'NT TICK, IT MOVEES SLOWLY

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:10 pm ET

ARE YOU ANNOYED OR ENTERTIANED?????

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

80% OF MILLIONAIRES DRIVE USED CARS!!!

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 10:12 pm ET

@Dodie,
Excellent point.

Linda Benedict   April 27th, 2009 10:13 pm ET

I am scared about this swine flu. I'm 52 yrs old. I live in S Ont and have bad lungs asthma and sarcoidosis. Will this strain be included in next falls' vaccine or will it mutate too much by then? How do we know this isn't bio-terrorism.? I never even thought that until reading all these messages now, I feel panic actually. I;m agoraphobic...now I find this swine flu only validates what I have found to be a big problem,and am in therapy for ... may turn out this problem may save my life. I was Tweeted telling me to get a N95 rated mask. Can you just buy them at a drug store and will bleach be good enough to clean with? Would a N95 mask have the same # in Canada?

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

Dodie...Wow!! I didn't realize that this is an ongoing part of pigs' systems! The more I think on things, the more I believe that we are more "alien" than we want to believe! we have so few natural immunities to the crud in our environment. I gave-up drinking 18 years ago, but if these are the "final days", make mine a Bushmills Irish Whisky...neat!

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

APPLE SEEDS ARE POISONOUS!

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:18 pm ET

uNTIL 1834, IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR ANY SOLDIER OF THE U.S. ARMY TO CARRY THE AMERICAN FLAG INTO BATTLE!!

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

CNN's Jeannie Moos alwa s does funny stuff, and today, she did a piece on "swine flu...man-on-the-street style". The funniest bit was her speaking with a man, who, by inference, must have been Jewish. He said, to the camera, "I am strictly KOSHER!!! I have NOTHING to worry about!!!" (Get it? Jewish people cannot eat pork, so he...ah, forget it!)

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

ANYONE STILL HERE??? GETTING LONELY

. .

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

@Linda Benedict...Try to relax and not let this make you worse through additional, and perhaps unwarranted stress. Unless you see cases nearby , and you take reasonable precautions, your personal chance of getting this disease is probably extremely small. Best wishes for getting better from your current health problems.

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

Linda Benedict...Stay at home as much as you can. If you go out to shop, try not to touch door knobs...displays...foods that you are not buying...and, carry a bottle of Purell Antibacterial Hand Cleaner with you. If you sneeze, or cough, cover your mouth and nose. Use the Purell, afterwards. If someone near you is coughing, etc., move away from him/her. Try not to shake hands with anyone, and if you must, always use the Purell. You will be fine! Don't "worry yourself" into sickness and stress!! Just avoid public places, as much as you can, and watch CNN for updates. Dr. Gupta is terrific, and is in Mexico City to get the low-down...

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

Alexander, I have eaten many apple seeds and have never got sick from them , I don't think

Paula in Albuquerque   April 27th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

That Purell Hand Cleaner is quite inexpensive, and is available at Walmart...

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

I SAID POISONOUS NOT DEADLY POISONOUS

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

@Alexander Beavan,
"APPLE SEEDS ARE POISONOUS!" That is correct!

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:30 pm ET

alexander...I can't argue with that... you have lots of interesting info

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:31 pm ET

YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO DIE ON THE WAY TO BUYING A LOTTERY TICKET THAN ACTUALLY WINNING THE JACKPOT

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:31 pm ET

90% OF US MONEY BILLS HAVE TRACES OF COCAINE ON THEM

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

@jack,
Still, there are toxins in apple-seeds that are not good to eat. Don't try to prove Alexander wrong and fall ill.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

SNAILS CAN SLEEP FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

TO SELL YOUR HOUSE FASTER AND FOR MORE MONEY, PAINT IT YELLOW

Gary Ozenne   April 27th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

I Love Larry King. With the world as his audience he makes the common person feel involved. God Bless you Sir

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

2 OUT OF 3 ADULTS IN AMERICA HAVE HEMMEROIDS

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

FINGERNAILS GROW FASTER ON THE HAND YOU FAVOR

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:36 pm ET

MORE THAN 6000 PEOPLE WITH PILLOW REALTED INJURIES CHECK INTO ER EVERY YEAR

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

For those in fear...Trust your leader...President Obama shook hands with a guy that bit the dust next day, he looked the beast in the face and has come back healthy, and confident , to help lead us out of this current mess, though there is truly a lot on his plate at this time, and the Repubs "just say no" to everything isn't helping him do his job... He seems an intelligent , and capable man, and he was angry when that guy flew the plane over nyc for a photo op...he can't micro-manage everything, Jimmy Carter tried that, and although he may be the most truly moral President in our history, that didn't work out the way he may have wished.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:38 pm ET

THERE ARE 635,013,559,600 POSSIBLE HANDS FOR THE CARD GAME OF BRIDGE

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Alexander Beavan,
You are digressing way too much with these fun facts. 😯

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

ABOUT 1 IN 30 PEOPLE IN THE US ARE IN JAIL, ON PAROLE OR PROBATION

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

?

Linda Benedict   April 27th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

Jack and Paula in Albuquerque..THX...I am not well at the moment and know I don't have this flu, but it's a scary situation. Thanks for the advice..it's nice to see that we can help each other with concern and kindness on here. Some of these people on here are arguing over dumb stuff. I hope Dr Sanjay does get us some answers. Feel sorry for him..so many of us rely on him, he must be feeling the pressure. So thank you again Jack and Paula in Albuquerque ❤ from Canada

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:42 pm ET

Markoff's lawyer says he is not guilty, and the moon is made of green cheese.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:42 pm ET

MCDAONALDS IS THE WORLD'S LARGEST DISTRIBUTOR OF TOYS

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

PEOPLE WITH BLUE EYES CAN SEE BETTER IN THE DARK.

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:45 pm ET

ASTRONAUTS CANNOT BURP IN SPACE

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

Linda Benedict, In order to feel even more secure, I think it might help to stock up on food and water , so asto avoid excessive contact with the public, sicnce this could add to your stress concerning possible exposure, have meds sent to house and obtain plastic gloves alos to handle mail etc, , until this thing becomes resolved... Try to keep your mind on other things as much as possible, and try to be positive,,You will be fine

Alexander Beavan   April 27th, 2009 10:49 pm ET

GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY... THANX FOR READING!!!!

jack   April 27th, 2009 10:50 pm ET

Astronauts may be able to drink their own purified urine in future... that is recycling!

John, San Antonio, TX   April 27th, 2009 11:07 pm ET

Influenza can be deadly but so far, all cases in the US have been mild in nature and most have already recovered. This is not to say that we should not take this flu strain lightly. My grandmother died 3 days after giving birth to my mother in 1918. My mother never knew her mother unfortunately. I don't think panic will solve anything. We are building a new home in Cibolo, Texas where all three Texas cases were discovered. I intend to do no more than wash my hands frequently, do not cough without covering my mouth, and see the doctor should I have any of the symptoms. Other than that, I will sleep peacefully tonight.

Alessandra Franco   April 27th, 2009 11:11 pm ET

The coverage on the swine flu is very poor and uninformative, neglecting to educate the media and ignoring the efforts of Flu Virologists and Immunologists (the only qualified, as basic Scientists to give any interpretation of what it may be happen- i.e. the antigen that it may be mutated, the genotype of the mutated virus, etc).
Your channel was great for the quality of the information. Unfortunately, I cannot really say subscribe for Medical Science-related issues.
Sincerely,
Alessandra

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 11:12 pm ET

Alexander Beavan

OUR BLOG COMIC! lol

Hugh...lets get engineered! lol

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 11:17 pm ET

Ah Yes, China and Japan are much further ahead of the flu than we are. I love the idea of infrared scanners at airports looking for fever.

jack   April 27th, 2009 11:18 pm ET

Alexander, you should sleep very well , after having dumped all that information onto our laps...It will take a while to digets all that, but some of it is certainly worth remembering,,,don't eat apple seeds, and if you ever become an astonaut, don't try to burp in space...

jack   April 27th, 2009 11:18 pm ET

Alexander, you should sleep very well , after having dumped all that information onto our laps...It will take a while to digest all that, but some of it is certainly worth remembering,,,don't eat apple seeds, and if you ever become an astonaut, don't try to burp in space...

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 11:23 pm ET

@ Alessandra Franco

Are you a Flu Virologist or Immunologist??

I was wondering if our genetic altering of pigs in order to use their heart valves and arteries could be a casual effect of this mutated virus which is now adaptable to humans???

I understand the pig population already has antibodies meaning that this is not new to them.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 27th, 2009 11:25 pm ET

@ jack. lol. He is a bored 16 year old who did not want to watch TV. Actually for being only 16 years of age, he is very witty!

I call him our blog comic!

Bob Schmidt   April 27th, 2009 11:30 pm ET

I always protect myself on airplanes from germs and viruses with my portable ionizer called the "Fresh Air Buddy" from Ecoquest. I just bought one for my wife to use this week for our Florida vacation. We are so glad we have these things! They say they are as protective (or more) than a surgical mask. I hope that's true because I'm concerned for our trip back on Friday now with this Swine Flu virus spreading.

hugh ~ california   April 27th, 2009 11:35 pm ET

Dodie, actually I could use a good laugh. I hope Alexander blogs back in the future.

jack   April 27th, 2009 11:36 pm ET

@Dodie, yes, I could sense he was a nice kid who was kind enough to share some interesting trivia with us, by now he may be sleeping like a baby, leaving these serious issues for us adults to discuss lol

jack   April 27th, 2009 11:46 pm ET

I am not sure I buy that earlier comment about pig farms being better than free range. Small farms and homesteaders raised pigs for many years without any outbreaks into human populations, or it may have been unrecognized.
I wouldn't be too quick to support corporate pig factories. I think their motive is obvious. Although individual farmers with a limited amount of swine may not be as easy to supervise, it seems less likely that something this serious would become so widespread from a small number of isolated pigs. Seems the more pigs crammed into unsaniatry conditions the greater liklihood of something fiercely virulent emerging from it.
Blue ear, sounds like a pig disease, rather than something that may be transmitted human to human. Do you have stock in a corporate pig farm?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 28th, 2009 12:05 am ET

LOL Hugh... Yes, as I just heard that 400 flights from mexico arrive in LAX every day. good grief... I could use a laugh too

Rama   April 28th, 2009 12:05 am ET

We are on vacation, now, in Puerto Vallarta. What are the chances that they will stop flights from Mexico. Is the out break only in Mexico City?
Rama

Connor   April 28th, 2009 12:06 am ET

Did the people in Mexico who died from swine flu take Tamiflu?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 28th, 2009 12:09 am ET

LOL JACK... I think he was making up a lot of the facts... but it was interesting reading... especially looking at what the topic of conversation is.

I live 60 miles from TJ mexico. Ugh! I also deal with a lot of illegals at work... ugh!!! LOL

johnny   April 28th, 2009 12:09 am ET

A great news story to relieve the pressure of the OBAMA spending spree.....kind of gets our minds off of that stuff....haha

frankie preston   April 28th, 2009 12:10 am ET

Larry I am concerned about the swine flu, I have a weak ammune
system I am concern about getting it and how can u receive it?

waycross, georgia

31501

Time 12.15 A. M.

date-04/28/2009

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 28th, 2009 12:11 am ET

Ah, we were probably fooling around with pig DNA and using Mexico as the place to do our testing... Just like the WHO and HIV virus... mmmmm

Connor from NYC   April 28th, 2009 12:11 am ET

how long can the swine flu live on a door handle or your change or anything we may touch after someone who has swine flu touches it.

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 28th, 2009 12:14 am ET

@ frankie preston

Google CDC for their web site. They will give you a lot of information. My immune system is bad too.

It is airborne, in droplets from sneezing, coughing, handling something that someone sick just handled. You can use a mask with a respirator N95 or better and either wear gloves or wash hands often.

Scott (School Teacher)   April 28th, 2009 12:15 am ET

I have a student that just comes back from a three week holiday in Mexico that included Mexico City tommorrow. Should i be concerned? Any actions recomended on my part? (From Regina, Canada)

Marcie   April 28th, 2009 12:16 am ET

Beginning yesterday, I got flu-like symptoms: fever, nausea, chills, lethargy, headache, loss of appetite etc. how do i know if it is the normal flu versus this pandemic?

Dodie from Irvine, CA   April 28th, 2009 12:17 am ET

@ frankie preston

I stayed home from work today as I also have the flu. Someone came into my office very sick on Thursday, and I got sick on Saturday. Its not swine flu... just the usual run of the mill type, but I always get sick if someone near me is sick.

Tania   April 28th, 2009 12:18 am ET

If anti-virals should be given in the first 48 hours of flu symptoms to be effective...Does this time frame still apply for treatment of the swine flu or should you treat with an anti-viral regardless?

Jessica   April 28th, 2009 12:21 am ET

I go to the University of Kansas, obviously a big school. Should this worry me being around a ton of teenagers?

Denver Dawn   April 28th, 2009 12:21 am ET

I'm pregnant and scheduled to fly to San Diego in a couple days – are there any cases of pregnant women getting the Swine Flu and does the treatment differ if so?

Canadiangirl   April 28th, 2009 12:21 am ET

I think the level of fear is dependant on ones current health. The elderly, very young, or people with chronic illness should worry more, as they are the most likely to get seriously ill.

Jarrod   April 28th, 2009 12:21 am ET

I was in Mexico City today when the quake struck. I was in a bus to the Mexico city airport and almost everyone was wearing the masks. There was a doctor at the check in desks. I thought that was interesting. I had been in Queretero for 5 days. I have had a horrible headache for the last 12 hours. That's only one of the symptoms. Is this something that I should be concerned with? No other symptoms as I mentioned before. Also, one very interesting thing to share. I spoke with a crew member on my airline flight and he mentioned that they were not allowed to wear masks! How wrong can an employer get to put their employees lives at risk!

Sandi   April 28th, 2009 12:21 am ET

I along with many had the swine flu shot in 1986 .. Do we have some immunity because of this?

Jessica   April 28th, 2009 12:22 am ET

As a student who spends every day on a college campus should I be more concerned about catching the flu? Like many other college students, dozens from my school went to Mexico for Spring Break and I'm worried about them having brought the virus back.

jack   April 28th, 2009 12:22 am ET

I try to avoid poeple who are obviously coughing and sneezing, but sometimes that is hard to do.. As far as the droplets I may touch , I try to wash my hands when I go home , and avoid touching any mucous membranes meanwhile. And pray.

nate   April 28th, 2009 12:23 am ET

People need to calm down about this flu. It has already proven to be less deadly than the normal flu. Also I think its getting too much news coverage which is causing people to panic unneccesarily. I'm not saying all news coverage, but every 10 minutes metioning it is making matters so much worse.

Jim   April 28th, 2009 12:24 am ET

Novavax has worked closely with the cdc for years and has proven their vaccine manufacturing method works. They have a closed border approach that works. They have passed Phase I/II AB testing. Novavax has recently proved that their 1918 strain of the Flu (Swine) works on ferrets 100%. Their vaccines can be produce in 8 to 12 weeks. Novavax has the ability to contain this problem. Cross strain resistance is also been proven!!! Why hasn't the USA government recognized their accomplishments with a Grant?

LuckyOne   April 28th, 2009 12:25 am ET

HI Larry I may being coming out of left field on this one but have they thought of or ruled out possible terrorism or maybe even Bio threat from the Rocket luanch from N.Korea ????

Christiane Biagi   April 28th, 2009 12:27 am ET

How is thisdifferent from the 1976 outbreak of Swine Flu? That outbreak ending up being "The Epedemic that never was"

Barbara   April 28th, 2009 12:28 am ET

I JUST GOT OVER THE FLU, DOWN FOR 2 WEEKS W IT.
HOW LIKELY AM I TO GET THIS SWINE FLU?

Jim Florek   April 28th, 2009 12:28 am ET

Novavax has worked closely with the cdc for years and has proven their vaccine manufacturing method works. They have a closed border approach that works. They have passed Phase I/II AB testing. Novavax has recently proved that their 1918 strain of the Flu (Swine) works on ferrets 100%. Their vaccines can be produce in 8 to 12 weeks. Novavax has the ability to contain this problem. Cross strain resistance is also been proven!!! Why hasn’t the USA government recognized their accomplishments with a Grant?

travis   April 28th, 2009 12:29 am ET

I worry that CNN and other media are stirring up a panic with near continuous coverage of the swine flu. No doubt you strive for balance but some patients in the busy emergency room where I work told me tonight they were simply frightened by all the coverage and wanted to be tested. None I saw had the flu.

Brenda   April 28th, 2009 12:29 am ET

? This may be way out there, but the kid (18 yr old) in Cibolo that got the flu, could he have been able to get it from marijuana from Mexico???

cindy   April 28th, 2009 12:31 am ET

We live in San Diego. I'm worried that as this epidemic worsens and more people become ill and die, specifically, in Mexico that we will see a panicked influx of Mexicans fleeing to the U.S., through San Diego to seek medical attention and simply in hopes of refuge. How concerned should we be? I wonder if I should be keeping my toddler out of school and away from any type of public gatherings, ie: classes, malls.... Would it be premature to consider relocating out-of-state? What precautions should we be taking in San Diego – masks....?

Elaine Stefanowicz   April 28th, 2009 12:33 am ET

They don't come any funnier or classier than Bea Arthur. She was part of the great chemistry of the Golden Girls–a classic show that could never be duplicated. She was the first strong woman role model that I was exposed to in the 70's (in her role as Maude).

teresa   April 28th, 2009 12:33 am ET

What other cities are affected by the swine flu aside from Mexico city? What about the tourist areas such as Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, etc?

Eric   April 28th, 2009 12:35 am ET

This could get worse, maybe not. We should use this chance to prepare, to learn from the present confusion. This may not be the real thing but the real thing IS coming sooner or later. I'm learning about the things I need to know by the confusion that everyone seems to presently have,

CATHY HENRETTY   April 28th, 2009 12:38 am ET

My mother is scheduled to fly from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to Portland, Oregon this Wednesday/April 29th and because of this panic over the swine flu she is afraid to fly here. I only get to see her
once a year. Her ticket is paid for. SHOULD SHE TRAVEL OR NOT?

JACOB   April 28th, 2009 12:39 am ET

hopefully the swine flu also takes care of the kkk here in the states and the mexican cartels

reese   April 28th, 2009 12:39 am ET

I am a TSA employee i am scared to deaf that i might get infected, My supervisors are saying just wash your hands and wear gloves you will cut down the risk but im around people all day flying from all over the world. Im on the frontline they have mask but for fear of scaring the public we will waite till a passenger and come to us and say there infected to get the mask from our leads and supervisors i think more should be done to protect us on the frontline at the airports.

MelissaD   April 28th, 2009 12:42 am ET

My main concern about the swine flu, is nyc school taking precautions especially public school

CATHY HENRETTY   April 28th, 2009 12:44 am ET

SHOULD MY MOTHER TRAVEL FROM PITTSBURG, PENNA(EAST COAST)TO OREGON(WEST COAST)THIS WEEK?? SHE IS IN A PANIC, AFTER LISTENING TO LOU DOBBS????? HELP!!!!

CATHY HENRETTY   April 28th, 2009 12:45 am ET

CATHY HENRETTY   April 28th, 2009 12:45 am ET

jason   April 28th, 2009 12:48 am ET

I think it would be best for the american to order the goverment to shut down the boarder all of it .and it would also help stop letting many illegal mexican people in our state that don't want to become an american citizen .not to be rude but if the stop the boarder and seal it off many american would not had lose their job now enough is enough too many mexican people in the us has taken the american people job away

Mary Massieon   April 28th, 2009 12:55 am ET

I appreciate that Mia thinks that starving herself will call attention to the problem in Darfur. But there are so many other ways she could help. And she only hurts herself in this crazy way of helping.

Mindy   April 28th, 2009 12:55 am ET

Hi Larry,

Went on a trip to NC last week, My nephew and I had a flu...Let me tell you...I have never hurt so bad in my life. For 24 hours I could not move, I had extreme fatigue,stomach stuff My nephew got it as well....It came on sudden. I have never had a flu like this... my muscles hurt even into my finger tips. I couldn't help but cry and i am 44 years old. I tought it was because I drank the water on vacation or something. i couldn't believe how sick I felt. thank god for my mom and family. they kept pumping me full of liquids and medicine. who knows if it was Swine or not, but boy did Ithis flu hurt! for all those sick.praying for you
Mindy

Dell   April 28th, 2009 12:55 am ET

The Question I have is I’m supposed to be taking my family to Carlsbad San Diego area in about two weeks, should we take the trip or cancel do to the fact there is eleven cases of the virus there?

Tammy Nolan   April 28th, 2009 12:58 am ET

I am wondering if any other animal can carry the swine flu other than pigs? Reason for me asking is because on March 17th I was hospitalized with Pneumonia and running a 103.5 fever. I have not fully recovered from this illness and is still having problems. I work with sick cats and dogs as a vet tech in a animal hospital. I'm very concerned because I have a 3 year old son. Two other people in the clinic came down with the same thing and was very sick as well at the same time. Please help! Very concerned?

MelissaD   April 28th, 2009 1:00 am ET

jack   April 28th, 2009 1:01 am ET

@Mindy , they said this swine flu has high fever with it. Did you guys have a high fever also? I see they have swine flu reports in NC and SC.

robert   April 28th, 2009 1:01 am ET

She shouldn't do that because what if the government doesn't do anything

allen   April 28th, 2009 1:53 am ET

I consider Bea Arthur to be one of the best comedians in history, behind Lucille Ball...what Bea lacked in physical comedy, she more than made up for in her sharp-witted remarks and comments on the show...she and Estelle Getty were a perfect pair for the mother and daughter team on the show. When I saw a picture of Bea a while ago, I almost didn't recognize her...she had started showing her frailty and I thought it was just her age; I had no idea she had been battling cancer...what a great loss to the tv. and acting world...she will be greatly missed.

nicole   April 28th, 2009 3:05 am ET

I have a month old son and was wondering if he got the swine flu virus would he be able to get some type of flu shot to help fight it off?

siafu masiah   April 28th, 2009 3:22 am ET

how are the u.s / Mexico borders being monitored with this outbreak?

siafu masiah   April 28th, 2009 3:28 am ET

chem trails could be linked with this outbreak...what is the gov spraying in our air?

judy   April 28th, 2009 3:33 am ET

im in san diego. i have a pretty bad cold, afraid to send my son to school...

Tangent Girl   April 28th, 2009 3:57 am ET

Rest in peace, lovely Bea. I know we'll meet again.

Mike M in San Diego   April 28th, 2009 4:11 am ET

Larry,

Seems like Mexico is going to be the death of us here in the states. Between the illegal immigrants, the drugs, the murders, the kidnapping, the purposely set fires,and now the swine flu >>>>> what's next? I'm not pointing the finger directly at Mexico for this swine virus however, it just feels odd that here we are again speaking about Mexico in a negative manner. I repeat>>>> what's next >>> SUPER SARS??

When is the American Government going to wake up and see that Mexico is a huge enemy to us in one sense or another and the time to take serious action is now. We need to once and for all take forceful action and send a message to the Mexican government saying that we aren't going to take this any longer or serious consequences will be taken. Mexico needs to be taught tough love or else!!!!!! Protect us U.S citizens 1st.

When's the last time we said that Mexico has did anything for us in a positive manner. Living in San Diego for most of my life of 34 years I feel us as Americans need to step up and do something about this Mexico madness. Before you argue this I'm well aware of many good things about Mexico and it's people but it doesn't out weigh the bad things. Things are getting way out of control.

Bottom line....
LARRY if you are reading this..........I just feel we need to treat these neighbors as enemies, but not in a hateful way. If we don't then I feel we will be taken advantage of. I think worse things will happen each and everyday until Mexico really does become the death of us. Drugs, murders, fires, and viruses just isn't helping our fight in making the U.S a better place to live. Money is being dumped into keeping Mexicans out of our land and it just isn't working. What if 50 Mexicans with the swine flu jumped the fence right now and got to my hometown in San Diego? What then? What excuse can you give me why this wasn't prevented. The time to show Mexico who's boss is now. We are now at serious risk.

Do something please Obama! Do something before it's too late.........and we all suffer from the way Mexico is. I love Mexico and would love to see it back to the way it used to be. Those who frequent it or at least used to know exactly what I mean. As of now I consider Mexico a garbage dump. It's only going to get worse because our American dollars are not helping their economy from tourism. 90% of people who would normally go there an average of up to 10 times a year no longer go there 1 time a year. It's been close to 3 years since I step foot into Mexico after visiting at least 1 time a month.

Take a second please and think about what might Mexico be like in 10 years if we don't take some drastic action now. It's not fair to us and it's not fair to the world if something was to happen. Maybe this swine flu is Karma to the Mexican way. This is gods way of saying enough is enough however others not directly involve will also suffer.

Jim   April 28th, 2009 9:41 am ET

the swine flu started in the US not Mexico. A migrant farmer cought it here and brought it home to Mexico where his wife got ill.

hugh ~ california   April 28th, 2009 9:55 am ET

The lastest news says the first case of swine-flu was from a five year old boy who lives in a small village in eastern Mexico, not far from a large pig farm located in Mexico's state of Veracruz. This pig farm is now being considered the source of the outbreak.

Maria   April 28th, 2009 3:11 pm ET

Yes Mike from San Diego just blames the aliens (Mexico) for everything bad that happens in US.
Your statements are right out of the Episode of the twilight Zone:The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"
Paranoia strikes the residents of Maple Street when they believe human-looking aliens have invaded the neighborhood
When Maple Street is hit with a mysterious blackout, the residents become convinced that aliens (in this case Mexicans) have invaded and are hiding among them. Soon the usually friendly residents start suspecting one another of being the alien and chaos erupts
Mexico is our neighbor not our enemy:

Kay   April 28th, 2009 8:47 pm ET

Why are the millions of migrant workers about to enter the US not a topic?

Linda   April 28th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

Hi Larry
I was watching nascar when Carl went flying...all I could do was gasp and pray. Carl in my favorite driver because he is thoughtful of his crew and fellow drivers. That means a lot. Being humble is a really big deal when kids really do look uo to these guys.
Hey
Carl you are the best!!!!!

Juan carlos   April 28th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

The swine flu virus had been detected in California and wasn´t reported to the WHO. Also the analysis of the virus showed that one part of its genome is from Asia, meaning that the virus originated in Asia not in Mexico. this should be known beacuse several people are accusing Mexico to have begun the epidemic.

Bigmac Canada   April 28th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

With us Travelling all the time around the World we have to take better precautions with disease and animal contact

Bonnie   April 28th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

I work in a hospital as a housekeeper. I am currently on Chemotherapy, my last one being this coming Friday. How careful do I need to be with this Swine Flu going around. It is not in our Hospital yet but I clean the E.R., and Infectious wing among other things and it could show up any time. The town I live in is probably 70% Hispanic.

Thanks, Bonnie

Fred Lockwood   April 28th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

I would like too know what causes the H1N1 virus or Swine Flu, and What causes this too be an airborne virus.?

Maria   April 28th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

I have great concern for my family regarding the swine flu. I live in the imperial county of california and there have been 5 confirm cases. I want to know why they haven't closed the border yet? I feel that since this started in Mexico, they should prevent it more and shut down the ports of entry. I am worried about my family because the population here is 98% Mexicans, and mexican that travel everyday back and forth. Since this came out i have met people that travel to Mexico on a daily basis about 3-4 times a day. Should I be worried?

loveisKind_1   April 28th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

Trust God through everything.......He's always in control despite how bad things seem!!!

loveisKind_1   April 28th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

Love your show, Larry!!! Canada here, watch you all the time.....enjoyed your show about Vaccinations with Jim Carey and his wife, a lot of truth I believe to what they are saying.....keep on this issue!!!!

loveisKind_1   April 28th, 2009 10:26 pm ET

I'm new to twitter, not sure I even really 'get' it haha. Guess in time I will.....just jump in a swim!!!!!

Me and Larry King   May 4th, 2009 8:02 am ET

[...] Monday afternoon I was playing on the beach with Nathan in Huatulco, Oaxaca, when Janell came running up to me with my cell phone. She was talking with Randy Smith of Youth Ministry International. I took the phone, and Randy told me that the Larry King show had contacted him and wanted to put me on their show that evening (here's his blog post about the show). [...]

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter