CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 21, 2009

Former astronaut says we are not alone in the universe

Posted: 08:37 AM ET

Earth Day may fall later this week, but as far as former NASA astronaut Edgar Mitchell and other UFO enthusiasts are concerned, the real story is happening elsewhere.

Mitchell, who was part of the 1971 Apollo 14 moon mission, asserted Monday that extraterrestrial life exists, and that the truth is being concealed by the U.S. and other governments.

He delivered his remarks during an appearance at the National Press Club following the conclusion of the fifth annual X-Conference, a meeting of UFO activists and researchers studying the possibility of alien life forms.

Mankind has long wondered if we're "alone in the universe. [But] only in our period do we really have evidence. No, we're not alone," Mitchell said.

Filed under: UFO

Michael C. McHugh   April 21st, 2009 9:22 am ET

Someone should go look through all the old records of Air Defense Command and NORAD that have been declassified. You'll find UFO reports in those, both radar and visual. All those high-flying, fast-moving things that bothered the Air Force so much over the years that it got sick of hearing about them. My guess is that behind the scenes they were investigated very seriously, and weren't all considered just balloons and meteorites like they told the public at the time.

clem69   April 21st, 2009 9:49 am ET

no we are not alone.....but i think if there is llife out there they are more peaceful and enlightened than we are.

Barbara   April 21st, 2009 11:47 am ET

I don't know how to get in touch with CNN regarding a story of interest but I have one I would like to tell you about. There is a high school senior in Nashville, TN who has met all the requirements for graduation. His name is Ryan McFolin. He is an excellent student and extradinary when it comes to historical and scienitfic facts. He wants to teach history on the college level. However, since he has Asperger's syndrome he is having difficulty passing the algebra section of the state required test for graduation. Nineteen colleges have voiced on interest in having him attend their schools. They said they would work with him on his math. He has served on the Congressional Youth Leadership Council, been a student ambassador to Australia and made Eagle Scout. Yet the state says he cannot graduate if he doesn't pass the algebra. He took the test before and was only 6 points away from passing. He is going to try again in May. He is working with a tutor but if he doesn't pass he won't be able to go to college. I think this is an outrage. I think it should be in the news. His father, is suing the state of Tennessee to allow his soon to graduate with a regular high school diploma. Thank you

Laura Wooldridge   April 21st, 2009 11:49 am ET

Is there any possibility of having Edgar Mitchell interviewed on Larry King Live regarding his recent comments about extraterrestrial life and Earth visitation??? These are extraordinary statements from a highly credible man that I believe would be of great interest to many people.

Dave of Detroit   April 21st, 2009 3:13 pm ET

Ah. "Chariots of the Gods" revisited at last. Anyone who has watched Star Trek knows about aliens and even which races to look out for. I was amused by the Alien Autopsy that got hastily taken off the air after a radiation specialist noted that the burns on the alien's body resembled burns from high amounts of radiation. The main reason for any government cover up is very simple. Take the Nuclear Testing in Nevada-entire towns downwind suffered various forms of cancer and the soldiers in the foxholes did not know that they were receiving radiation of a blast that was 10 times more powerful than they were told about. The fact that people with Bone cancer were overdosed with radiation as a scientifisc experiment. As far as flying Saucers, who knows what kind of experimental aircraft our government is playing with. Lights in the sky? I have a friend that was a bosun's mate on a ship far out at sea and he saw an upside down freighter in the sky that was so clear that they could make out the name. The Captain checked on this freighter and found it was on an ocean over 3000 miles away......

Pietro Sirianni   April 21st, 2009 6:29 pm ET

The only reason a government keeps its citizens in the dark is to control the population. How arrogant of government officials to think only they have a right to know the truth, and that the average citizen could not handle the truth. Those are the trappings of a totalitarian government.

Terry   April 21st, 2009 9:58 pm ET

I was woken up out of a sound sleep to see spinning red lights in my back yard i couldnt move or speak because i was so scared also i heard a swushing noise a few moments later it took off you tell me is someone here? my answer is yes and if anyone is qualified to answer it should be an astronaut who is expierenced in the feild theyve seen things as you see in articles and movies but if obama doesnt release the information that goes way back someone should

Lauro Silva-Brazil   April 21st, 2009 10:31 pm ET

I also believe other planets being lived in but I don´t believe they have enough technology to enter and leave our gravitational attraction whenever they want. So, the stories that have been told for the last fifty years at least didn´t convince as yet. Maybe Mr. Mitchell could be more specific.

Marvin Modeen   April 22nd, 2009 8:35 am ET

I'd really, really like to believe his conclusion, but 'I'm from Missouri' so show me! Give me some facts to go on, not personal opinion or mythological sightings. GIVE ME JUST ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE!

Pietro Sirianni   April 22nd, 2009 12:33 pm ET

Terry,
Be careful what you say, the men in black may pay you a visit!

Laura   April 22nd, 2009 2:52 pm ET

What are the odds, that in this huge universe, Earth is the ONLY place with life.
I think other , older, more intelligent life forms ,realize we,Earthlings ,would probably blow each other up in all the shock of an "Encounter'.
So, they are content to wait til we evolve a little more –

Dave of Detroit   April 22nd, 2009 4:01 pm ET

*$%@-($@-Earthlings-This is (7%0$$3) speaking, we have visited many times and decided that any sane being is much better off on the other side of your moon-please stop sending those little rovers up here and to Mars, they creep us out and if all those space satellites ever get turned around on us and destroy our privacy like they are doing to yours, they will be vaporized....P.s. we are making bets on how many more satellites are coming up before the whole bunch is knocked out of space like a big game of 8 ball. My number is three more and I am cheering for the North Koreans!

lostemperor   April 23rd, 2009 6:20 am ET

My math is not so good but these are my estimates:

The chanches of there being intelligent life on other planets is 1 to 100 trillion ( 10 to the power 14) give or take (a reasonable estimate I'd say I think most can agree with).

The number of stars in our avarage galaxy alone is around 300 billion (30 to the power 11). There are more thasn 100 billion (10 to the power 11) stars in our visible universe and probably much more planets.

There are 30 to the power 22 stars in the visible universe. So the chanches that there is is intelligent live somewhere is still 30 to the power 8 or 300,000.000 % chance according to resonable statistic expectations! The chances otf those intelligent life having reached earth is statistcally at least 99% IMHO 🙂

Patrick
aka lostemperor

Carlos   August 20th, 2009 2:16 am ET

There is life on all the planets, there is civilizations on 7 of them. Elijah Muhammad has told this a long time ago. He said the people on Mars live underground, they are 7-9 feet tall and they live 1500 earth years.

Vivian   May 1st, 2010 3:42 pm ET

I saw a UFO so I know they are real. I think it is absurd that SETI is looking for radio signals from ET. Radio signals are so yesterday. I'm sure ET has methods of communication we can't even dream of.let alone pick up with our technology. And why is the "scientific comunity" so reluctant to accept that we have been visited by ET for many years. Are they afraid of what their colleagues would say if they investigated sightings? It is an "Old Boys Club" of denial.

carolyn   May 9th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

I definitely believe in space ships, etc. I too have seen them.. late atnight... and some of my friends who would argue over anything that might be ridiculous "to them" , like things that have happened to me.. can't get them to believe it.. BUT, THEY do believe in space ships as they have had expeiences with them.. This for sure proves they're real. I have stories I could give you that I could help a lot of girls out there to overshadow men who are abusive.. Believe me, I' m sooo lucky to be alive.. It haunts me sometimes, I'm so lucky. I would share my strategy with you if you'd ever like to talk to me. I – to this day – can't believe I escaped. And, I'm not gloating.. I know I had help from God and my quick thinking and positive attitude.. I'D LOVE to talk about it and bring others some good luck like I've had.. email me anytime.. glad to share..

carolyn   May 9th, 2010 2:47 pm ET

for Larry.. I use to have a radio show called "go round with Carolyn"
and have had some controversial conversations with womens clubs. One owner lady hired me to email her subjects for a week because I had her ladies up in arms arguing with me. I can't give into a subject controversy unless I'm for sure within a shadow of a doubt. I hate accusing or knowing somebody is the way those are projecting them unless they have personally witnessed it.. Like any of our political people.. Clinton especially.. and you and any man who is unfaithful... Leave them alone.. atleast, they're not VIOLENT!!.. I was with 2-different husbands, 3 times married though and now single..but, had my husbands not threatened my LIFE..I would've stayed.. I HATE MEN WHO HIT WOMEN.. I HAVE A STRATEGY TO KEEP THEM FROM IT!..

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter