CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 9, 2009

Rove: The President Has Become a Devisive Figure

Posted: 12:11 PM ET

By Karl Rove, Former Advisor to President George Bush

The Pew Research Center reported last week that President Barack Obama "has the most polarized early job approval of any president" since surveys began tracking this 40 years ago.

The gap between Mr. Obama's approval rating among Democrats (88%) and Republicans (27%) is 61 points. This "approval gap" is 10 points bigger than George W. Bush's at this point in his presidency, despite Mr. Bush winning a bitterly contested election.

Part of Mr. Obama's polarized standing can be attributed to a long-term trend. University of Missouri political scientist John Petrocik points out that since 1980, each successive first term president has had more polarized support than his predecessor with the exception of 1989, when George H.W. Bush enjoyed a modest improvement over Ronald Reagan's 1981 standing.

But rather than end or ameliorate that trend, Mr. Obama's actions and rhetoric have accelerated it. His campaign promised post-partisanship, but since taking office Mr. Obama has frozen Republicans out of the deliberative process, and his response to their suggestions has been a brusque dismissal that "I won."

Filed under: Karl Rove • President Obama

Deborah/Kansas City   April 9th, 2009 2:45 pm ET

I am glad that President Obama is showing the clear difference between Liberals and Conservatives. For too long, being liberal, progressive, open minded, big hearted and freedom loving has had a bad name. Now that criminals, like Carl Rove, and lunatics, like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, have taken over the conservative=Republican party, people are beginning to see just how dangerous they are. Conservatives are so invested in keeping things just the way they used to be, having lost power, they have lost thier minds. They are trying their hardest to inspire paranoia, hatred, violence, and devision in Americans. Just like Timothy McVey and Terry Nichols, I am sure there are people who will be inspired to act violently, "to save our freedom from this tyrant". I have to wonder, if the increase in mass murder, is somewhat influenced by thier ravings. Even when George Bush, the worst President in US history, stole elections, took us into unjust wars, took away our civil rights, and created a system to hold people prisoner outside of the bounds of US law, Liberals did not go this bezerk. Thanks to all of you for making it good to be a Liberal again.

Chamseddine   April 9th, 2009 3:49 pm ET

President Obama will have more success and he deserves more.
Why if the president wishes to adopt me;
I need a wing , to fly and sing, adopt me
I need a home, to feel at home, adopt me
I need a bed, some cheese and bread, adopt me,
I need a man, to kill my pain, adopt me
I need a donnation, to help my nation, adopt me
I need hope , to cut my rope, adopt me
We all support you.

Bernard   April 9th, 2009 3:51 pm ET

Yes, your President is definitely becoming a divisive figure. He is showing the division between descent people through out the world and the lunatics, the hateful, the violent, the mindless republicans the world has had to suffer for much too long under the guidance of your former, not so appreciated president. Mr Obama is what the USA needed and he is what the world needs. I only wish he was my head of state. May God keep him well.

ge   April 9th, 2009 4:06 pm ET

I was flipping the stations on my car radio come across ashow called savagenation this guy belongs in a strait jacket

Terry, TX   April 9th, 2009 4:53 pm ET

So far he has insulted Christians, Catholics, Taxpayers, Americans while in Europe, our Troops, Hispanics, Cuban Americans, Venuzuelans who came here escaping Hug Chavez, Independents....spending or giving away our tax money like there is no tomorrow....hope I didn't forget anybody. Yeah who hasn't he ticked off...that's OK ...us voters will handle it...

Judith   April 9th, 2009 8:27 pm ET

Rove had his time for 8 yrs and look at where our Country is.Cheney had 8 yrs.
While ex President Bush says he will give President Obama the respect and will not say nothing all his bugs are coming out of the wood work trying to pull apart a man as Barack who is trying to clean up the mess of America of the Bush adm here in America and getting respect back around the World that was taken away by Bush.We Need to think of the World.We want respect and we need to respect.

President Obama has been willing to work with the GOPs.It's them that are the ones that do not want to work with him nor for the people of the USA.They act like they are blind.This isn't yesterday that President Obama could be so lucky to come in like Bush with $$ and relax.
Of course they talk about tax breaks but what they look for is tax breaks for the Rich and foreign plants that come to the USA and get big tax breaks leaving the people of that State to pick up the tap.
The middle class are tired of picking up the tap of the Rich.
They want Unions to take cuts but the CEOs get millions along with buy out big bucks.
The GOP stated that the Obama adm feels they won and they will have the last say.This is not the way it is.Maybe this is how they felt and that is why they went along with Bush all of the time.
When Bush was in all the GOPs acted like they were sitting on their hands letting Bush do anything he wanted till 2006 after the Iraq War Started and the $$ were gone that Clinton handed over to Bush that the Dems got in.

What President Obama had when he took over office is like a credit card of bad credit with the mess.
We have to pay now or sit on our hands and pay dearly later.It Just won't be us and a few generations paying but it will go down to Future Generations past great grandchildren.Yes we had to and have to put more money out in order to clean it all up.

The GOP Party along with all the bugs that have come out against the new President who is only in office less than 3 months should stop playing their nasty games.

Bottom Line Bush came in with a surplus but spent it like more was coming in the following week.Before he got out of office ones were losing jobs,homes and the mortgage melt down.What did he do?He was still our President at that time till Jan 20,09.

I would like to know while Bush was President why he didn't say to Congress that a freeze Is Needed to be put on their increase salaries of the $4,700 that they gave themselves the later part of 2008
All he did was bail out Wall Street because of their pensions.It was a me,me and more me of the Bush adm.

Rich   April 9th, 2009 8:46 pm ET

Why is Mr. Rove still giving "commentary" to the WSJ. This man should be in federal prison with Bernie Madoff for "Contempt of Congress" for the flaunting of the subpoena for the political firing of US Attorneys!!

At this point in Dubya's first term he was already planning his vacation to Crawford, TX while his chief terrorism head, Richard Clarke, was warning him of the Al-queda threat.......He wasn't given the time of day because he was a Clinton hold-over.

If anyone knows about "polarizing" Americans it's certainly Mr. Rove!!!!!!

Judith   April 9th, 2009 9:09 pm ET

What the GOPs of Washington should do is thank the Dems Party that so far they aren't doing nothing about the War Crimes and digging into some of the other bs that brought us to this mess of our Country.The GOP Party was so ready to go after Clinton.

It's time all is brought out so the American people know.We're not children.We pay your salaries.

Junew   April 9th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

What do you mean has he BECOME a devisive figure? He has ALWAYS been a devisive figure. He represents the worst of America and is an enbarassment. Thank God he is being outed at last.

Junew   April 9th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

please forgive me.....my last comment was NOT about President Obama but about Rush Limbaugh. I think President Obama is the savior of America and I wish him well.

Ted   April 9th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Lunacy in the grand ole party ,of do nothings . Go Barack !!!

Geri   April 9th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

I did not vote for Pres. Obama, but I supported and wished him well. I want for him to succeed, because our country has serious issues at hand. We need to press forward. I am now incredibly concerned about the obscene, irresponsible spending. Stop the spending; stop the madness. Stop the political labels. Stop the blaming. Stop the negativity....left and right.

And start praying. One nation, under God, on our knees. Pray for Truth. Pray for wisdom. And pray for leaders who have the guts to get on their knees and seek a prayer-answering God who can lead us out of the mess we created here on earth.

Next, stand up, and VOTE for such leaders. Stand tall, stand firm, stand united, and do one more thing. Regardless of race or divisive party lines...

LOVE one another.

Judith   April 9th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

Speaking about Rush L,he should be off the air along with radical Glen Beck whose starting to get out of control.
We have some people that have mental problems here in the USA .Don Imus was off the air for awhile and compare him to Rush he's an angel.I guess Fox is totally a Republican radio station.

Shawn Jackson   April 10th, 2009 12:21 am ET

Obama Has been in office for 3 months. The economy is doing better. What are the legacies of the republicans? Wars and Reaganomics? I never really gave a damn republican or democrat I voted for the better man. What I have seen of Republicans in the last few years is apolling. Republicans act like spoiled little children who through a fit when they don't get there way. A republican will lie, cheat and steal to get his way. The republican party has undermined the trust of the people and we are througly discusted with them and what they stand for. Bush and Chenney should be prosecuted. I am proud to say I will never, never vote republican again no matter what!!!!

Dave of Detroit   April 10th, 2009 12:23 am ET

Polarizing and Devisive coming from Karl Rove is interesting. The Bush Administration deliberately used Polarizing and Divisive terms like "Axis of Evil" and to get Congress to go along with their Invasion of Iraq-Weapons of Mass Destruction, Yellow Cake Uranium, and then we have Paulson's hue and cry about the worst Financial Disaster in History to get Bailout money from our Big-eyed and stunned Congress! I understand that Paulson is on the list to receive an Academy Award for his performance in the Epic"The Sky is Falling" and we all want a piece before Bush's term runs out. Goldmann-Sachs got in under the wire so Paulson's stock from his former company stayed in the Black. Would someone please tell Karl Rove that the Bush Administration is no longer calling the shots and that there is going to be cutbacks in the huuge Military and Industrial Expansion of the Bush Administration possibly including a reduction in our 800 military bases around the world and cutbacks in Cheney's Defense Contracts-Live with it!

Aynes54   April 10th, 2009 1:13 am ET

Judith.said....President Obama has been willing to work with the GOP???? You've got to be kidding??? Name one thing that he has done to cross the aisle???Even some dems agree that he has done nothing to try and show bipartisanship...His attitude of arrogance is driving deeper and deeper wedges. Maybe instead of trying to suck up to the leaders of countries overseas he may aught to try and work with the people on the other side of the aisle...He may need them soon...

Marry   April 10th, 2009 9:21 am ET

@ Aynes54 Interesting – there are still people that are blind and deaf to the facts even if they jump at them. President Obama is doing great – in the US and abroad! If you want to talk about “arrogant”, then look at the way Bush/Cheney and friend dealt with the US and allies around the world. But on top of being arrogant, they were in the end also very stupid! Enough, the result of their work can be seen worldwide, death and destruction!
You should thank President Obama that he works so well and hard for all Americans – including you! And, he is intelligent, smart, with real love of America and he will bring everybody to a new and better day! God bless him!

Aynes54   April 11th, 2009 1:12 am ET

@Judith... Bush and Cheney whether you want to admit it or not kept us safe...I mean safe...something that we may have taken for granted. I have lived over in the Middle East for 14 years of my life and let me tell you, they do not see Obama bowing and apologizing as anyhing but cowardly. The world "loves" Obama right now but they will not have respect for America in years to come...I have lived most of my life outside the boundaries of this country...I want Obama to succeed but I cannot thank him for what he is doing to this United States of AMerica. I did not like alot of things that GW did but taking this country of socialism is not where I want to go. Thank you but I am not blind nor deaf and on the 15th you will see many that feel like I do.

Aynes54   April 11th, 2009 6:14 am ET

Sorry...Judith. Above note should have been directed @ Marry.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter