CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 9, 2009

A thank you note from Carly Fleischmann

Posted: 01:25 PM ET

We had 14-year old Carly Fleischmann on our show last Friday – an amazing girl with autism.  She also contributed to this blog and sent the following note to us:Carly

Dear Mr. King,

I would like to thank you for having me on your show.

I liked the show but I have some other views I would like to share with you. You had your guest talk about the vaccines and how it effects typical kids to have autism. However in my eyes it's the children who already have autism that need their story told. Not the ones that don't. We need help. We need people to believe. We need people to understand. We need people to listen.

In three and a half days people believed in me enough to have over 4200 sign my petition to tell my story. I still think it's a very important one. I love the fact you had me on your show and by doing this I believe that you believe. I was told once no one will ever listen till some one stands up. Well I am standing and I was wondering if you would stand beside me. It's been a hard process for me to get to the point that I am able to spell. I believe we all have an inner voice. We just need to find away to get it out.

You said that there are a lot of things about autism you have not gotten to but you will try to touch on a fair bit. Let me be the first to open those doors.

Your optimistic and able to back it up believer,

Carly Fleischmann

Oh Thank you again for every thing.

Filed under: Autism • Larry King Live

Terry, TX   April 9th, 2009 4:46 pm ET

She does have scientific research to back her claim....we also don't how she and the father were taking things will she was pregnant....intentionally or unintenionally. Too many open variables...to take her and a couple more celebrities to tell the world what is best for our children.

Terry, TX   April 9th, 2009 4:47 pm ET

I am sorry...I meant to say "she does Not have scientific research to back her claim...

Tammy   April 10th, 2009 10:16 am ET

This is Carly's mom.. we will be posting video on You Tube of her typing independently...Carly is not a lab rat.. she is a teenage girl with autism who has innate intelligence. If you doubt her... that is your problem...Thanks to Larry and his team for all their support!

ILeeBotOr Donald L Allen   April 10th, 2009 12:44 pm ET

larry I ned to no what you mean be a part of the blug mean I rely do not no what you mean by that I frist need to no what you mean by that be a part of the blug

ILeeBotOr Donald L Allen   April 10th, 2009 1:04 pm ET

I dont no what you mean by being a part of the blug larry you need to let me no what that mean and I dont go four free stuff or the giving I can give what I can but I frest need to no first what that is I well not trad or give my work if you mean pay I need to no how much that mit be this sit is my brother so I can not agree to give sumting that is not mind to give I just have my art and I no im not going to give that so I need to no how to be a part of the blug you let me no tell me now

ILeeBotOr Donald L Allen   April 10th, 2009 1:09 pm ET

right to me larry and tell me what the heck you mit mean I dint mean to make such a big dial of it but you no it is a big deal wen you deal withy me USA#1

ILeeBotOr Donald L Allen   April 10th, 2009 1:21 pm ET

I click percrib but I did not no just what that mean I no I sud have new what that mean first so mabe I mit but I dont think I well four now untell I first no what it mean first but I rely dont have the moony now any way so I rely sud not but I may lader on but no thanke you four now so take me off four now please

Deborah   April 11th, 2009 10:24 am ET

Carly, Tammy and Larry,

Being the mother of an 11 year old son (who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3) I would like to thank you so much for your efforts. Autism, no matter its causes is a life altering event. And I don't mean that in a negative way either. My son has opened my eyes to the TRUE human potential. He is my teacher and my hero. Without him; my life as well as my husbands and daughters would be pretty void of character or meaning.

It wasn't always this way but with time, the proper educational setting, the supplements he is on and the aging event, he has come such a long way from where he was at 3.

Autism Awareness Month « Living With Autism In Central PA   April 11th, 2009 10:58 am ET

[...] "LOUDER THAN WORDS". Her name is Carley Fleischmann and her letter can be read HERE. The video clip can be viewed HERE. Reading her letter and viewing this segment helps me to realize [...]

melissa   April 11th, 2009 1:12 pm ET

I am the mother of 3 children, 2 of which have PDD a form of autism. I am lucky that my children are high level autistics in some way, but that doesn't make life any easier. I was moved, truly moved by Carly. I know that Carly thinks these things for herself b/c I have seen teachers and strangers short change my children. They believe what you believe so believe in them. My son has some slight traits, but he is almost I won't say cured I will say in remission. I say that b/c it takes work and consistency. I won't say cured b/c there is nothing wrong with them. They remind me of innocence that is lost out in the world. They are sensitive to people and might occassionally realize they are in another persons bubble or are taking things literally. I live with an "Amelia Bedilia" and while the book is funny it takes a lot of patience to teach a 14 year old child not to take things literal. Best of luck and thank you for allowing our signatures matter to Carly who has found her purpose. They do need a voice and who could ask for a better one!!! Bravo!!

Jeffrey   April 11th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I just saw Carly on Larry King (on video) and just read her letter. The letter moved me very much. I wish her all the best. Carly should be proud for standing up and trying to help all the children out there that suffer in silence.

Thanks Carly!

laura Lynch   April 11th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

I would like to make a comment on the "debate" on autism as a parent of a 10 year old boy with autism as well as a special education teacher. Instead of fighting between two sides we should come together and find more treatments and invest more time into research of why so many children have this horrendous disorder that has affected so many.
I know that my son did not have any reaction after any of his vaccines, no seizures, no fever, no diarrhea. I also know that I have 2 family members that have always seemed quirky and introverted. I am not 100% sure that in my sons case that his autism was an environmental factor, I do believe there is a great possibility that there is a genetic factor involved that comes out if there are environmental factors that bring them out.

Jim Tilden   April 12th, 2009 2:09 am ET

THANK YOU CARLY, I have a 8 year old son with autistic tendecies & a siezure disorder. I could always tell that he was learning things but was unable to express himself . through chiropractic ,arricul theropy, and reduction of medication we have seen a great improvement in him. his eating,walking,talking has improved,his siezures have decreased .we are also going to look into the detox & nutrition. I sure that not every treatment will have same results on every child.I know I spelled the arricul wrong but it is a stimulation of certain nerves on the outer ear .CARLY KEEP ON TELLING YOUR STORY , thank you

kevin lmcguigan   April 12th, 2009 3:39 am ET

I salute Carly for her courage promoting awareness.
When I was in school long ago, my mentor was the Chairman of
the Psychology department in Peoria.. His shared involvement with
autistic kids at the Zeller Zone Center in Peoria, IL
was an inpiration to me, yes it can be helped with patience and
caring. Your person on the air right now, that children are born
WITH A TENDENCY toward autism, exactly reflects what I was
taught back in 1972.
Carly, bless you and hang in there!

Psymon 414   April 12th, 2009 5:24 am ET

i totally understand her from her first person perspective, i worked with autistic kids and yes they are just wired differently.
but the science dosent back her enough and that is what people realy pay attention

Avery   April 12th, 2009 12:53 pm ET

I commend this young lady for her courage. And I agree with her that Autistic people are wired differently. But has she ever had an Iridology assessment before? Just because you're wired differently doesn't mean you can't obtain normal, or close to normal functioning.

Jim Carrey's analogy, it's like a canery in a coal mine, is quite accurate. Your constituitin can be strengthend and the toxins can be removed from your brain through your bowels and lymph system. The difference in functioning is outstanding.

Looks like your received a lot of phyical therapy! Best of luck to you.

crunchy   April 12th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

Well, Terry, maybe the “scientific research” people are off counting their money which they earned from pharmaceutical stocks. You do realize that the very people who make decisions regarding when a baby gets its first vaccine and how many vaccines that baby will get up until high school - are the very same people who earn their money from the sales of the vaccines???

Taunya   April 15th, 2009 9:07 am ET

Tammy

I can't immagine what it's like having an autistic child, but
I do admire people who can really accept that challenge.
I'm very thankful for the 5 healthy children I do have, and love them
very much.. One day I'd like to go back to school and get a degree
to work with the disabled children, for Ive been doing it voluntarily
in Jr high and high school.. Keep smiling and do well carly, your a beautiful gal.

Shawla   April 16th, 2009 8:46 am ET

its really amazing meeting children who are autistic and have been taught how to channel their energy... reason being that the human potential is so very evident in them like for instance the case of Carly Fleischmann who has been able to find a voice to express herself despite the odds against her.
The autistic child should be nutured & believed in, be encouraged that they can be more than is assumed about them.

Well done Mr. King & Thank you

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter