CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 1, 2009

Rusty and me

Posted: 12:07 AM ET

By Julie Limbaugh via Salon

From third grade on, I have been asked, "Are you related to Rush Limbaugh?" My teachers' whispered questions about the man on the radio made me feel important, even though my 8-year-old comrades had no idea who he was, since he didn't appear on the Disney Channel or in ABC's Friday-night sitcom lineup. During those years, I didn't know who he was either. I knew Cousin Rusty kicked a football pretty well and always brought Cuban cigars to family gatherings. Sometimes he would get Aunt Patty to smoke one and my cousins and I would laugh at her coughing as we watched from the neighbor's trampoline. I was proud of him like I was proud of my brother, who's older than your brother and can beat your brother up.artrushobamagi

It was pretty hit-and-miss but clear-cut all the same. People either didn't know who he was or didn't care or loved him or hated him. There was no like in the equation. If they had an opinion about him, once they learned of our connection, they offered that opinion.

"Really?! Well, this is what I think of him …"

Just when a school would know me, know my family, know Rush was my Dad's cousin, ask the questions, tell about their love or hate, my dad's career as a lawyer in the military would move us and the process would start over. Once again, new friends and acquaintances would introduce me as "the girl related to Rush Limbaugh."

And I would evaporate.

Limbaugh - it was like when my dad would pick me up from middle school in his '87 maroon conversion van with the canoe strapped on top and my dog slobbering out the passenger window. Dad loved me and I loved him, but I just wanted him to disappear so I could blend in on the bus like all the other kids.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Rush Limbaugh

Dodie from Irvine CA   April 1st, 2009 2:03 am ET

C N N: I am not sure where you are going with this’ Cousin Rusty’ story. I am unimpressed and still consider him an aggressive loud-mouth idiot with an IQ of minus 10!

janette tx   April 1st, 2009 3:10 am ET

YEP!!!

rahul singh   April 1st, 2009 8:31 am ET

CNN needs to re think and see where this is going.

amb   April 1st, 2009 9:29 am ET

I like Rush and listen to him as often as I can. He's not liked by most Democrats because he's a Conservative Republican. He tells it like it is – about both parties. He finds out what's going on – stuff that we people (not part of the "IN" circles) do not normally hear about and should know.

Rich   April 1st, 2009 12:06 pm ET

Like a Limbaugh....."long winded"!!! But you can capture the whole being of Mr. Limbaugh, his true essence from Julie Limbaughs line in her article.

"Rush once told me, "The only way to make millions is for half the nation to hate you." He told me this at his mom's funeral when I was 13, and I think the reason he was talking business was because he was trying not to look so sad.

It's not about the troops, it's not about the GOP.....It's all about Rush and his $400mil contract with ClearChannel Communications.....(CCU) everyone else be damned!.

I hope uncle Rusty pays off your student loans to Columbia for you when you graduate Julie.

Dave of Detroit   April 1st, 2009 1:33 pm ET

There is no such thing as bad Publicity and Rush-though a bit biased-is well aware of that fact and, in all seriousness, he isn't a bad talk show host-loved his chaos plan, T shirts, caps, the whole bit. I am an Independent voter because I'll be durned if I will give political candidates contributions so they can turn around and become resident poiticians backed by and voting for special interests instead of the real needs of the Nation and their constitutents. So I agree with Rush on one thing-Since our system of Government is so corrupt that it can't even see that it is corrupt-Bush has to get a publicist to clean up his record for his Presidential Library-love to see the result of that one-it leaves very little choice for voters and Rush has picked a side that gives him the most tax cuts-Can't argue with that logic!

Justice for the Righteous   April 1st, 2009 2:42 pm ET

Keep talking Rush Limbaugh, there are millions behind you.
You speak the truth and exposed the lies of those who tried
to manipulate the weak , to build bigger government , first to empower themselves,elect tax cheaters and control the people .

hugh ~ california   April 1st, 2009 2:51 pm ET

@Justice for the Righteous
Don't you read your good book? Jesus said, "There is none righteous, no, not one."

hugh ~ california   April 1st, 2009 3:00 pm ET

My mistake, those were actually the words of Apostle Paul in Romans Chapter 3:10.

Jesus said, " I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Luke 5:32

simonsays   April 1st, 2009 3:13 pm ET

It's not Republicans that need Rush. It's Democrats. They need somebody to hate and now that Bush is gone, he's a good target to vent their hatred. Not because he is necessarily wrong, but because he doesn't agree with them and expresses it. Democrates can't stand individuals who challenge them intellectually because making sense upsets their need to control the masses through big government.

Justice for the Righteous   April 1st, 2009 3:26 pm ET

Obama's latest choice to head Health and Human Services will now be known as something other than the Abortion Queen; she's also a tax cheat, in the proud tradition of many other Obama nominees, including Tom Daschle, Ron Kirk, Nancy Killefer, and of course Timothy Geithner, who oversees the IRS.
Rush Limbaugh, you need to exposed these leaders. They are leading not by good examples....for our future young generation..Keep talking.
There are millions behind you....They need to hear the truth..

Don B. from Houston   April 1st, 2009 8:18 pm ET

I am so glad he is your Uncle Rusty and not mine! I know family ties can be deep but I do not believe I could ever tolerate nor accept any uncle like him.

Sara   April 1st, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I am only thirteen years old and I was channel searching when I found this quite interesting. I'm rather surprised that President Obama and his wife traveled to England, but I think it's quite awesome! But, I don't exactly understand why they are there besides what my mother explained to me. And even that I dont get it? So... England is upset with banks too.. or what? Anyway, I think it's cool that they could be helping anywhere peacefully besides the United States.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter