CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 27, 2009

Natasha Richardson's lesson helps save little girl

Posted: 07:26 AM ET

Connie and Donald McCracken were watching CNN one evening last week when they learned of the tragic death of actress Natasha Richardson from a head injury. Immediately, their minds turned to their 7-year-old daughter, Morgan, who was upstairs getting ready for bed.

Two days earlier, Morgan, her father, and brother had been playing baseball in the yard of their Mentor, Ohio, home when her father hit a line drive that landed just above Morgan's left temple. A lump formed, but the McCrackens iced it down and the swelling subsided within an hour.

"For the next two days, she was perfectly fine," Donald McCracken says. "She had no symptoms. She went to school both days and got an A on her spelling test as usual. There were no issues whatsoever."

But after hearing about Richardson's death, the McCrackens wondered if Morgan was really as OK as she seemed. After all, Richardson had been talking and lucid immediately after her fatal injury.

When they went upstairs to kiss Morgan good night, she complained of a headache. "Because of Natasha, we called the pediatrician immediately. And by the time I got off the phone with him, Morgan was sobbing, her head hurt so much," McCracken says.

Filed under: Natasha Richardson

Judith   March 27th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

It's so sad for the family of Natasha.I pity her kids.
It's so wonderful to hear about the little girl Morgan that she is getting well.

don   March 28th, 2009 12:15 am ET

yeah it was a sad story

John Harper   March 28th, 2009 12:48 am ET

Who cares I swear. How come no one makes a big deal about the people that are dieing everyday? There's been plenty of parents who die while their children are at home. What because she had money, & a white female actress it should be americas buisness? give me a break already !!! I never see on the news about black woman who die, & their children are left behind!!! Goes to show you how much this country "hasn't" changed!!! I don't pity the kids at all!!! Get over ir. People die. No matter what the circumstances are. An, she wasn't even a good actor!!!!

John Harper   March 28th, 2009 1:02 am ET

Boo Hoo!!! The little girl got hit w/ a baseball & got a lump!!! How many times have any of you had a childhood injury? And, has anyone made such a big deal about it? I didn't think so!!! I don't see anyone showing pity for the inner-city kids that have no parks to even play all in. Or are fotunate enough to eve have a yard!!! May I have some pity please. When I was 10 years old. I fell off my bike while riding down the street. I had to get 23 stitches on my knee. And, my parents were at work at the time. They had to make sure that their children had clothes on thierbacks, & food, & a roof over their head aswell. We weren't as lucky to have actors for parents, & to be raised in a prestige neighborhood!!! So, is it possible I may have a pity party, & people I don't even know to show me sorrow. Give me a break. Thats what kids do. They play & sometimes get injured while playing. Oh I forgot!! Her mother was a white female actress with money. Geez how could I forget that. Being I live in america!!!

MarieClaire   March 28th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

to Mr. John Harper.

Yes I can tell you brain damage. Have you had an MRI lately? I think it's 2 late 4 U, maybe a psychiatrist?

Alice   March 28th, 2009 11:26 pm ET

Love your show, Larry.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter