CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 19, 2009

Rep. Frank: Is there an antidote to GOP amnesia?

Posted: 08:58 AM ET

By Rep. Barney Frank, D-MA

Memory eventually fails us all, but apparently the decline strikes one party far more than the other.

In recent weeks, my friends across the aisle have expended a lot of breath proclaiming that the Democrats caused the present financial crisis by failing to pass legislation to regulate financial services companies in the years 1995 through 2006.

There is only small one problem with this story - throughout this entire period the Republicans were in complete charge of the House and for the most critical years they controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.

In the House of Representatives, the majority party has almost unlimited power over the minority party. The majority party owns the committee chairmanships; it controls what bills come to a vote; and it is under no obligation to consider the ideas of the beleaguered minority. When the Republicans were in the majority they ruled with an iron first; it is no accident that Tom DeLay was known as "The Hammer."

That is why I find it particularly flattering the Republicans now claim that in the years 1995 to 2006 I personally possessed supernatural powers which enabled me to force mighty Republican leaders to do my bidding. Choose your comic book hero - I was all of them.

I wish I had the power to force the Republican leadership to do my bidding! If I had had that power, I would have used it to block the impeachment of Bill Clinton, to stop the war in Iraq, to prevent large tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and to stop government intervention into the private life of Terri Schiavo. Yet that power eluded me, and I was unable to stop those things.

Read more of congressman Frank's commentary here

Filed under: Rep. Barney Frank

Linda Ballard   March 19th, 2009 10:56 am ET

If it gives the family any peace I would like to tell them that Natasha experience NO PAIN! I survived a Subdural Hematoma caused by a fall back in August of 2008, and I have no memory other than I was told it wasn't time for me to pass and that I had to go back. I was totally at peace moving to the next level but it wasn't my time.

The doctors completed a successfuly Crainatomy.

Natashia has moved on to the next level that we will all get to experience some day and I pray that with the Grace of God's help this family will find some comfort during this hard time!

AL   March 19th, 2009 12:27 pm ET

Maybe the justice dept. and the FBI should be investigating the congress and the media outlets involved in the cover-up over " USFSPA ".Our MILITARY RETIREES are losing millions of dollars every month.Why is it being kept from the AMERICAN people??????????????

Pietro Sirianni   March 19th, 2009 2:10 pm ET

The republicant prime directive is to stay in power "by any means necessary." If that means trying to re-write history they will try it. If that means lying to the American people; they won't think twice. If that means going to the bottom of the barrel and using people like Limbaugh and Hannity they will do it. If it means starting a war on false pretenses they will do it.

The republicant party is a cancer on our society, we must watch it closely so it does not spread.

Ivor Manuel prophet   March 19th, 2009 6:20 pm ET

AWARNESS! 3/19/09 from ORLANDO FLORIDA, “CITY of LIGHTS”

Only weeks before the 2004 Presidential Elections, a prophetic book was published at. It was titled: “The REVELATION for PEACE from JESUS CHRIST to the WORLD.” Somewhere at the beginning on the first page it reads: Expanding Mercy and Love with our World neighbors, and feeding the hungry and the poor is also and order from the Lord to all people; but to those that have received power, the prophet writes: “Health, Education and Feeding the Poor must be their only concern”. But the anti-CHRIST rather ravages the wealth of the people building weapons to kill and destroy; maintaining armies wasting WARS in his own vision of PEACE. The book ends with a Prophesy (Wars melting the Wealth of the people) that has been, and continuous to be fulfilled on our times: And behold; the night vision was now like in a great television screen showing the name: The King of MYTERY BABILON the GREAT; then, there appeared the President of the United States of America; dressed with a tricolor hooded cloak garment of stars. And he had in his head a crown of gold that was melting; and the precious metal was going into his eyes making him blind; and when he walked toward a ceremonial bowl filled with water to clean his eyes; he then tripped his foot against a Stone, a precious corner Stone set by the ceremonial bowl that was filled with water. And as he stumbled and fell, his right foot got caught into the ceremonial vessel and the water turned to blood. The president was trying desperately to get his foot out of the bowl while his back was against the floor; but his foot was caught in the vessel with his greed and egotistical pride; and he was shaking his foot with anger and the satisfaction of force while on his back; but the ritual kettle was boiling over with the sacrificial blood of multitudes of humans and melting his sword. Poor and innocent soldiers from many nations, poor and innocent civilians from Afghanistan and Iraq; the blood of poor and innocents children, women and elders from all over the world was overflowing along his side. And his cabinet along with the republican and democratic courts, and the clergy were there by his side; standing on their knees inebriated with the wrath of his wine; as the American ceremonial vessel became a drowning river of blood. And there came on the screen the words written: “THE LAMENTATION of ABOMINABLE HIPOCRASY.”

Pray for you and Peace for the World,
Ivor Manuel prophet

Joe G. (Illinois)   March 19th, 2009 9:08 pm ET

Fact is that Rush Limbaugh was in the clear and can’t be blamed for this.. despite relative recent talks from the Obama side amounting him (Limbaugh) to be an Obama Rival Fantasy Hero of sorts.. with the Super Powers of The GOP or something.. something..

Alvino   March 19th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Romney talks about the President not focusing on job at hand, what has Romney doing during the eight years of the Bush era...

Jan   March 19th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

Who gives a hoot what Romney thinks? He is quick to criticize Pres Obama....just exactly what would he to fix things. It's easy to say I'd do this or that when you aren't in charge of the situation.

I took 8 years for this mess to get to this point, and they want Pres Obama to fix it within 100 days. Totally unbelievable.

If Pres Obama's not focusing on his job, what did he think of Pres Bush all the 8 years. At least Pres Obama is out talking to the people, making decisions. Oh I guess he can't have any light moments at all.

aliou   March 19th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Larry,

Can the republicans give back the money they stoll from us with mismanaged wars and gail out?????

Someone needs to take back that money from Haliburton.....

Lorraine   March 19th, 2009 10:16 pm ET

Ask Romney where he was when President Bush was spending the American tax payers dollars in Iraq? Romney has ZERO solutions like the other Republicans except... let me guess... tax cuts!!!

Romney: The American people want you and your party to fail. Oh, that's right... you're doing a great job doing of that already. Thank you!

Pietro Sirianni   March 19th, 2009 11:33 pm ET

I say after AIG, we go after Bush, Cheney, and Haliburton!

STEVE GORDON   March 19th, 2009 11:59 pm ET

I don't understand why the House of Representatives passed a bill taxing bonuses for companies that received more than 5 billion in bailout money from the government. Here they go again...they still don't get it!!! WHY the 5 Billion exception?
It would be more fair to tax all bonuses for all companies that receive over $100 in Federal aid.
I want to know who came up with the 5 Billion limit. Was it Chris Dodd again?????

janette tx   March 20th, 2009 2:54 am ET

Aye!!!!

janette tx   March 20th, 2009 2:58 am ET

Let me repeat that Pietro!
Aye!!!!!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter