CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 19, 2009

Natasha Richardson part of legendary acting family

Posted: 07:23 AM ET

Natasha Richardson, who died Wednesday following a ski accident Monday, comes from an illustrious British acting family - one whose name she's often found a challenge.artrichardsonredgravegi

Richardson, the daughter of Oscar-winning actress Vanessa Redgrave and the late director Tony Richardson ("Look Back in Anger," "Tom Jones"), has said, more than once, that she found it difficult to live up to the family reputation.

"The names Richardson or Redgrave didn't help," she told About.com's Rebecca Murray in 2007. "But the last thing you want is to ride any coattails, because you don't want people to be accusing you of nepotism. You want to be able to learn and practice, and not to be thrown into a spotlight before you're ready for it."

But Richardson, 45, was practically born to the stage. Besides her mother and father, several members of her family are performers: Her grandparents were Sir Michael Redgrave, a famed British actor, and actress Rachel Kempson; uncle Corin Redgrave, aunt Lynn Redgrave and sister Joely Richardson also are noted actors.

She's even married to an actor, having been wed to Liam Neeson ("Schindler's List") since 1994.

Read more about Natasha's life HERE

Filed under: Hollywood

C. Denise Curran   March 19th, 2009 8:20 am ET

Was Natasha Richardson wearing a ski helmet? I have not heard any reports one way or the other. Could this have been prevented if she was wearing a helmet?

A tragedy...we are all saddened..prayers to the family.

Terry, TX   March 19th, 2009 8:58 am ET

We should respect the families right to privacy...which bloggers did not show with John Travolta's tragedy.

Richard Edlich   March 19th, 2009 1:06 pm ET

When Natasha Richardson was injured in the sking accident, she should have been transfered to a verified level I shock trauma center immediately, rather then being flown to NY for emergency care. Dr. R Adams Cowley, the founder of trauma surgery, did numerous studies that confirmed that the injured patient must be treated with in 60 minutes. Most individuals in our country as well as legislators in Washington DC don't know the locations of Trauma Centers. I played a leadership role in developing Emergency and Trauma systems in Virginia, and worked with Secret Service to devise a plan that allowed President Regan to be taken to a trama center after he was shot. This helped save is life. Each citizen in this country should know the location of the closest trauma center in their area. This information can be found on the American College of Surgeons website.

Dr. Edlich

Richard Edlich   March 19th, 2009 1:06 pm ET

Dr. Edlich

Christiane   March 19th, 2009 2:12 pm ET

Skiing instructors should be made more aware of the dangers of minor falls. They should insist that helmets are worn at all times. Also, they should teach their pupils how to fall safely, before they take them out on the slopes. I remember, when I first learned how to ski in Bavaria at the age of twelve, we had to practice lot of ski-gymnastics as theoretical training first and even pass a safety test, before we were allowed onto the nursery slopes! That time there was even an early morning TV-Show that taught Ski-Gymnastik and ran all season on the regional channel.

I wish the precious life of an outstandingly talented and gifted human being would not have been wasted in such a tragic way – I am so sad for her husband, her boys, her wonderful mother, and everyone who knew and appreciated her – all her life-long fans – she was only 3 days older than me!

Tina   March 19th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I was shocked and horrifed to hear of the news of Natasha's Richardson's death. I feel that this tragic death could have been prevented with the simple use of a helmet. My son was in a serious bike accident with his head hitting the pavement, the doctor told us that if would have had not been wearing his helmet, he would have been more seriously injured or possibly killed. I would like to see everyone wearing helmets for all sports. so many lives could be saved. My heart goes out to to Natasha Richardson's family.

MIRIAM   March 19th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

All I would like to say is that my thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family of such a wonderful actress and everyone should show respect to the family for their privacy at this tragic time.

Elena   March 19th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

May the family of Natasha, be blessed with comfort and strength,
as they seek him for consolation, in this tragedy.

jeannie macchia   March 20th, 2009 12:35 am ET

This is devastating to all, was she wearing a helmet? yes or no what are the safety's of wearing a helmet and should they be mandatory. Others have perished due to the fact of inadequate headgear. How do you feel and why.

Carol   March 20th, 2009 12:35 am ET

My thoughts and prayers go out to Natasha Richardson's family and especially to her husband and two boys. She was such and beautiful and talented actress who had alot more of life to live. I especially liked her in the remake of the Parent Trap. Ms. Richardson will truly be missed by all.

Carol

luann   March 20th, 2009 12:54 am ET

My deepest sympathy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

dede   March 20th, 2009 1:09 am ET

we liked her so much in "Maid in Manhattan"..god bless ! where is Millbrook, NY..this is where they lived...

Dyan Martins   March 20th, 2009 12:17 pm ET

I am saddened by Natasha's accident. In 2003, I suffered a Brain injury. I am here to tell you, it was not fun, it's no "walk in the park" I was hoping and praying that she would be okay, so that I could go visit her, and tell her to "hang in there" I guess, God's plan: is that he wanted a fabulous actress, up in Heaven, right now.... my thoughts are with Natasha's family.....

Dyan Martins   March 20th, 2009 12:31 pm ET

To Larry King,

Larry,
I would so much like to come on your show, and tell the public, what it is like to have, and go through a Brain injury. In 2003, I suffered a brain hemmorage. It's the worst thing, in the world to go through.
I would like to tell the public the warning signs, I had. Everyone needs to be aware of these symptoms. I was very healthy and fit, when this happened to me. People that know me, couldn't believe this happened to me. My good friend, Kate Adamson, who has been on your program, she discussed her "double brain stem stroke" , her book: Kate's Journey. " National Stroke month, is in April, it is a good time tim to discuss a Brain Injury... Thank you for your consideration..

Sincerely, Dyan

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter