CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 12, 2009

Octomom showered with gifts from Dr. Phil

Posted: 10:02 AM ET

The Southern California mother of octuplets was given a baby shower of sorts on television's Dr. Phil show, with cribs, bunk beds, upgrades to her new home and nursing help to care for her 14 children – all provided free of charge.

Various providers appeared before Dr. Phil McGraw's applauding studio audience to pledge their help creating a safe, clean home for Nadya Suleman's 14 children.

Suleman said she's grateful for the help, which is to include a new nursery, new flooring and other construction upgrades in the La Habra (Orange County) home she intends to live in with her children.

The fixes are being made in order to prepare the home for inspections from hospital officials, which determine whether the house is suitable for children, according to McGraw.

Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center spokeswoman Beth Trombley said she and a social worker from the hospital walked through the house Wednesday to provide recommendations, but would not specify what they were.

Filed under: Dr. Phil McGraw • Octuplets

chris reid   March 12th, 2009 12:03 pm ET

How many storks did it take to deliver those babies

chris reid   March 12th, 2009 12:04 pm ET

This is a message for Larry King please try to encourage young people

sean brizendine   March 12th, 2009 1:43 pm ET

larry as tacky as octomom is i truly want her to succeed and have great faith that she will.
"sean in santa rosa"

Joe G. (Illinois)   March 12th, 2009 3:04 pm ET

All them Hollywood types going to Africa and other exotic places to “save children” and not bolster their Vanity factors… All them PETA people.. All them save the wolves in Alaska. Save the dolphins.. Save the wales types.. People should forget about worshiping the devil, fantasy hero’s and start fearing God.. That’s my two cents. And good job for effort Dr. Phil

hope   March 12th, 2009 4:09 pm ET

You'd think Dr. Phil would be a little smarter than to fall for Octomum's passive-aggressive tricks.

Kelli from Tampa   March 12th, 2009 5:23 pm ET

Dr. Phil ENABLING the woman. Where was it that Dr. Phil got his degree?

Joan   March 12th, 2009 5:45 pm ET

I'm glad to see private money helping out. Although I think the Octo mom shoud be arrested, there are 14 innocent children (victims) who need help.

Ida Claire   March 12th, 2009 8:37 pm ET

(My first comment, do people like Joe G. in Ilinois realize how pitifully ignorant they sound?)
As for the issue at hand, I think this woman is mentally disturbed; unfortunately she is getting the attention and wealth that she used these poor innocent infants to get. I resent her and think she is seriously sick and desparetly in need of mental treatment. But for the sake of the survival and subsequent welfare of the babies, I'm glad they will be clothed and fed, get what medical attention they need and hopefully to be healthy, happy and have completely fulfilled lives.
It is ultimately about them and not their sick demented mother.

Mike, Zephyrhills, FL   March 12th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Dr Phil, the Knight in Shining Armor!!, Notta!!

He has no problem coming in and exploiting anyone.

Mike, Zephyrhills, FL   March 12th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

Dr Phil bailed out this young girl down here in Lakeland , FL last yr for beating up this other little gal, and said he didnt have a thing to do with it and she wouldnt be on his show. well in 2 weeks this gal will be sentenced and will be free to talk.

Wonder if good ole Dr Phil will still not have her on his show, $5000 they paid out. hmmmmm??? thats the Million $ Question!!

Dodie from CA   March 12th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

((((BOYCOTT OCTOMOM!))))

So Dr. Phil gave a very important message to all those crazed women who want to over-populate the world:

If you want to become RICH AND FAMOUS … have a litter of kids. Want to make a quick MILLION DOLLARS, have a litter of kids.
When we are in the worst economic situation since 1929, North Korea threatening WAR with the USA, and this woman has a litter of kids that she can NOT even take care of. ~sigh~

Diaper Statistics: An estimated 18 billion single-use diapers are thrown in landfills each year, taking as many as 300 years to decompose, and commonly contain raw, untreated sewage causing a potential pandemic. Disposable diapers make up the third largest source of solid waste in landfills, after newspapers and food and beverage containers9. It takes upwards of 82,000 tons of plastic and 1.3 million tons of wood pulp, or a quarter-million trees, to manufacture the disposable diapers.

Need I say more!!!

Mike, Zephyrhills, FL   March 12th, 2009 9:25 pm ET

Wonder how much Dr Phil gets his marching orders from Oprah??

Linda   March 12th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

So why the white woman is the only one that gets all the attention and gifts. I remember a long time ago when the Black family had their kids, they didn't get half the public attention, and this was a husband and wife. Maybe Dr Phil ought to have them own his show so they can benefit from all his free stuff and gifts, what hypocrites, along with Irresponsible Octomom, it like people are rewarding her for being sick/ and self-centered, I don't believe she cares one bit about those 14 kids, just the attention it brings her and Dr Phil

Dodie from CA   March 12th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

Go Linda Go!!

You got that right!

Frankie in the OC   March 12th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Come on let her deal with the reality of being stupid. Lie in her own bed, the tax payer should not have to pay, bill the idiot doctor!!

lori   March 12th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

how can octomom buy that big house, what about that hospital bill, who paid for that. i've worked hard all my life and i can't get a big house like that and i had to pay for all my cancer hospital bills,

melinda Smith   March 12th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

I think the media should stop giving this woman all the attention she's getting. there are many babies in need and they don't get the attention this woman does. this woman is excellent at playing the system. My question is with all the money she might get will California order her to pay back Welfare. I think she should have to. Why should the Calif. taxpayers have to take this on? they should NOT. this woman and her family is a can away from a 6-pack. those babies need to be adopted out.

Cathy Kennedy   March 12th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

I had a 3 and a 2 year old and a new set of twins. The 3 & 2 were an enomous help getting diapers, bottles, etc. and felt very included. The six children could be a great help with the 8 babies especially when the babies are past the premature stage.

JPR   March 12th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Why would anyone solicit financial help for octomom when she can afford a half million dollar home? I want her to use some of this money to pay the hospital bill so that my tax dollars can be used elsewhere. She IS paying the hospital for delivery and care, isn't she?
14 kids, single mother, unemployed in a 1/2 million dollar home. . . . ONLY IN AMERICA!

carl   March 12th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Wow, I can not believe the amount of attention this woman is getting. I now understand why your economy is the way it is. $135,000 a month to take care of this family!? Can not wait to see all the copycats. Good luck

Victoria   March 12th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

There are real people who do the right thing, who are struggling. Why is the media glorifying this person and giving her the attention she wants? You are then sending a message that what she did is okay. Showering her with gifts, paying for photographs...that is so wrong. Her situation is self-inflicted unlike some of us who struggle with what life has dealt us. Stop giving her attention!

Good luck to her children but she seems knows how to work the system and make it everyone else's responsibility to take care of what she did. Other people need help too. Why shower her with gifts? Wht reinforce her behavior?

My suggestion help should come in kind and not cash. Give the help to the children.

Ruby   March 12th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

I am excited that these babies are receiving support- they had no choice in this matter and should receive all the help we can give to make living with a selfish as painless as possible. These stories tonight are summed up in one word- selfish.

Lucille   March 12th, 2009 9:59 pm ET

This Octomom case is totally and completely ridiculous .. that all this support is coming forth for this poor excuse for claiming to be human. There are many, many honest, hard working people in this world as well as the U.S. who are desperately in need of assistance. Then this publicity-loving poor excuse of a woman is receiving thousands of dollars of assistance. She should be left to do for herself and the results of this artificial insemination should be erased.

Shelly   March 12th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Why cant the state go after the biological sperm donor for support for these children. After all he is the father.

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:06 pm ET

Well, i am very dissapointed inDr.Phil. I think i'll think twice before I watch his t.v. show again. 135,000 a month to take care of these kids. Nayda knew the consequences when she had 6 kids and now 8 more? Y should Dr, Phil help her when Naydas pregneancies were all planned. People that r living in the "Tent City" this was not planned! Thats where the donations should go.Let her figure it out. I am disabled and have 3 kids . I save money for their food and not MY NAILS !Amazing...She made everyone feel sorry wit the babies while her bank account and donation drops help her. Help me and all the other hurting people. I need a new house.or a new moblie home .Wheres. our donation drops Dr. Phil???

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

Shelly thats a great idea! U go gurl!

LaRyssa   March 12th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

The state should go after the doctor who illegally implanted all of those embryos. He should hand over his salary for that and octomom should have to stand on her own two like everyone else.

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:08 pm ET

U go Hope. He fell for the scam...

Mary   March 12th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

The woman is a nut job and I cannot belive we have to hear about her every day. Surely there are more important things to put on the news.

Jeannette   March 12th, 2009 10:11 pm ET

I am happy to know that this mother is going to receive some much needed help and support that she clearly will need to raise her children and they are what shoud matter most to all of us. I do wonder tho... where are all the right to lifers when these now born children need them most. However these children got here... they are here, Will you folks be providing any information for those of us who wish to offer some support to this family?

Jeannette

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

I just mentioned what u said yesterday Linda.. Your rite... Y Octo mom??Y not other families that take in their sick sisters kids etc...Situations that were without control , not like these planned pregneancies...It really upset me to c her at the nail shop while her babies were at home(probably wit grama) and the others in the hospital...

Mia D   March 12th, 2009 10:15 pm ET

Wow! for such a nation as ours,calling ourselves Christian,supporting millions of illegals,giving millions more to other countries, and even animal rights...Now to sit in such judgement of another...what hypocrisy! While this woman may have made a decision to have a 7th child may not have been the same decision we might have made,no one ever expected more than one.These babies deserve to be loved and cared for by their family and those who really do care to see the best for them.
Maybe if everyone stopped the judgement ,and rolled up their sleeves to help others,and just get along for the greater good,we would not have the financial, social,racial,religious,radical problems our nation now faces.Everybody can win,if egos were put aside and people were more Godly.

Jeannette   March 12th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

As to Joan's comment that Octomom should be arrested... why her? You had no such judgment for the unethical dr that implanted the embryos. It does'nt take much courage to dump on someone who clearly has some emotional issues.

JEANNETTE

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

Hey Ruby: were not selfish! So its not the babies fault but the MOTHER is reasponsible for HER CHILDREN.THEY R NOT OUR PROBLEM !! SHE IMPLANTED THEM BY HER OWN CHOICE! NO ONE FORCED HER HAND!

Debra Johnson   March 12th, 2009 10:27 pm ET

Hey I love it, it gives me an ideal. I have a 14 year old niece. If I can get her and a bunch of her friends to have a baby, don't worry about the father, nobody else does, we could make a killing. We would have the most babies born out of wedlock in the same school. We could even have them live together for a reality show. I bet we could really get alot out of that. Plus they could take all their welfare and put in their pockets, lips, whatever. Man this is the best country ever. Let me know what you think about that ideal, you could get the first interview. If you do not like that idea, I also know an 8 year old, as soon as she could conceive, she could be the youngest. I am sure after hearing how that mom's life has changed it will be no problem luring them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:28 pm ET

Hey Jeanette, theres ALOT of us MOTHERS and people that need "much needed help", so whatever wit your comment...

Alyne   March 12th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

Dr. Phil, even YOU can make a mistake, and Octomom played you like a $3 fiddle. You paid her $1.2 million for the "interview", did everything on national T.V. to make her look like a "hero"
If a male had 8 kids from 8 different moms, would you be so nice to him too...getting too much like Jerry Springer, "Dr". Phil

Mike   March 12th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

I did not see the Dr Phil show (thank heaven) but I wonder if all these
providers of goods would have done so if there were no publicity attached. Would they have done so for the good of the babies (and possibly some sort of tax deduction) if they were not acknowledged on national tv. Sort of like the "product placement" of toys and trips that goes on ad nauseum on the Jon & Kate show. The babies need care but does every contribution need to be accomapnied by a media blitz? Now – back to what is going on in the real world.

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Hey Mia, Y dont U become an"Angel in waiting"?? in Naydas new 500,000 home???That way while your watching the 14 kids, she can go for a manicure and pedicure lol

Brian   March 12th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Why people want to reward irresponsible behavior?
She took huge resouces from other needy families for no reason.

More than 40 doctors for delivery?
24/7 nonstop intensive care?

More than $100,000 cost /month?

In a near bancrupt state?

Talking about inflated health care cost.
This is why.

Now watch other people would follow her example. Having more & more babies expecting other people's money to feed them.

Even animal is more responsible than that.

She is on her own. Don't expect help from me.

Guadalupe   March 12th, 2009 10:52 pm ET

Debra Debra ; WOW AMAZING IDEA lol I get u u mean gurl... Wit a lil twist but you'll all b famous!!!!!I'll watch your REALITY SHOW!!!lol

louise m   March 12th, 2009 11:36 pm ET

This is so sad for the babies. What will happen with all these people are in and out of this house? There needs to be some sort of security set up. Background checks etc. There are too many nutcases out there to trust just anyone. How will she ever handle all these babies when the angels are done. At least there will be someone there to monitor the situation. I hope Octomom doesn't think that the nurses are there to baby sit. She should be expected to do the majority of the work. She must realize that they are her responsibility and she needs to participate at all times. These babies need to interact with her not just a scented tee shirt. If these babies are considered at all, there will surely be no TV show....Did she help her mother keep her home?? My best friend had a micro premie and she had to use used clothing on her, why does she need new?? Also what will they do with all the donated items from everyone that wanted to help? Maybe people would be more willing to donate if they knew the money were secure and used only for the babies.

louise m   March 12th, 2009 11:47 pm ET

When there are 6 mouths to feed and 8 to be changed, fed, burped and bathed will we still have to see her?????????? Her choice!

Steve   March 13th, 2009 12:56 am ET

This is out of hand. A woman does something that is tantimont to throwing these babies in harms way, and she is being rewarded for it. Anyone that gives her a single thing is setting an example that when you can generate ratings for any channel, there is a resource to be tapped. These children ahould be taken away from her, and anyone in assisting her having this risky pregnancy should be jailed. America is a place for freedom, but having large amounts of children is just another example of people giving into the temptaions of excess. Taxpayers time, or private donations go into these families and it's simply not right. Shame on anyone, including any tv channel that gives any coverage to this abomination of human greed, for allowing these people to gain a single inch of recognition.

Guadalupe   March 13th, 2009 1:16 am ET

Preach it Steve...

Drew   March 13th, 2009 1:34 am ET

Hey Dr. Phil????? Or is it..........ummmmmmm........Jerry Springer!!!!

RAF   March 13th, 2009 10:08 am ET

JUST WHAT SHE WANTED! ATTENTION ALONG WITH GIFTS AND HANDOUTS! I'M ALL FOR HELPING THE BABIES BUT MOM IS KIND OF A CREEPY SCARY TYPE OF WOMAN!

EUNICE KELLY   March 13th, 2009 2:38 pm ET

Hi Larry
That octumom is some nutty girl having that litter.Why do one have tohave a litter in order to make a living.She got a big new house and expensive new rigs to wear.Waybe we should all have a litter so we won't have to get a job

Love Ya Larry
Eunice Kelly

Dave Mulvey   March 13th, 2009 5:21 pm ET

Ah ha! AP article, 3/13/09, "China frets about U.S. Treasury holdings", and recent political cartoon showing US paper currency with an implied Chinese personage in the position usually occupied by one of our presidents! Need China worry? Foreclosures are rampant, and I can see the headline sometime down the road, "China forecloses on the U.S., seizes the country"! What a tangled web have we woven for ourselves – or our children!

melinda from Iowa   March 13th, 2009 7:56 pm ET

I have worked hard all my life and NO one gave me a house or paid my bills. I go to pain management every month and will for the rest of my life and I have to pay my own medical bills. Heck if Dr. Phil wants to be so generous why doesn't he just buy all us Americans a house who can't afford to buy their own home and why doesn't Dr. Phil pay all Americans medical bills who can't afford to pay them. I hope CA orders this octomom who is definitely a crook to pay back Welfare. I say arrest her for deceiving the judicial system. Also, she NO more cares about her 14 children. All she wants is attention right along with her mommie and daddie who are as about as worthless as they come too.

Debra Johnson   March 14th, 2009 2:38 pm ET

Boycot Dr. Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is time America, the real people take control and do something, even is it is to miss 1 hour of TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think she likes the attention, after her babies get too old she has another one. What happens after this gets old and out of the lime light? I expect we have not heard the last of this women!!!

Mary Worth   September 13th, 2010 9:12 pm ET

Hate to be this superficial but......Could you tell me where Dr. Phil got his tie? Love it!

Pete Maceiko   September 13th, 2010 9:57 pm ET

Dear Dr. Phil:
Are you going to ask these women what they did to provoke the man?
How they pushed their buttons?
Has their divorce attorney ever suggested that they file domestic violence charges to enhance their divorce case?
Don’t just tell one side. I see you stereotyping.
There are problems on both sides.
Pete

Janet Witmer   September 14th, 2010 12:18 am ET

I am listening to Dr. Phil on Domestic Violence. He is not coming accross with what is real. I have worked in the trenches and raising money for Domestic Violence. I am not a radical and I know what I am talking about on this subject.

I know you won't follow up on this email save your time with a patton statement. Janet Witmer

P. S. You tried.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter