CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 7, 2009

Saturday's LKL: Dolly Parton & Las Vegas Sensation Danny Gans!

Posted: 10:53 AM ET

Dolly Parton joins Larry and speaks out on Jessica Simpson's weight controversy, her thoughts on President Obama's economic plan and on her new title:  Ambassador!   Dolly never disappoints!

Here's a video preview:  Dolly reacts to critics of Jessica Simpson on LKL!

Plus, "Entertainer of the Year" Danny Gans! He's the "man of many voices," and brings his Las Vegas show to Larry & you!

Check out Dolly Parton's Exclusive LKL Blog Commentary on her new role as Ambassador and her Smokey Mountain memories HERE!

Filed under: Dolly Parton • Larry King Live

rif   March 7th, 2009 5:43 pm ET

for cryin' out loud pal....take a breath.....Good Lord..no wonder you're a democrat.

michelle   March 7th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

dolly you are so beautifull i,m a big fan of dolly patsy cline loretta line and kenny roger and i been listing to hank snow since verry young and pround of your new president go usa i love you all from quebec canada and may god keeps you all safe kisses to dolly

James In Kamiah, Idaho   March 7th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

Dear Dolly,

I am a 35 year old who listens to hip hop, heavy metal, industrial raock, gothic rock, and ...:D Dolly Parton, and Kenny rogers, and Willie Nelson, and .... 😀

Ever plan on doing any duets with Kenny evre again?

DON JEFFERIES   March 7th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

HOW DO YOU STAY SO YOUNG LOOKING DOLLY..........

J.R.Baldini   March 7th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Shame on you, Dolly giving a flip answer to the Secretary of Arts question.
Artists have to feed their families, too !

Ronnie Meddings   March 7th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

You grew up poor and made it too the top. Elvis also was raised poor, and he made a great career with his voice as well as his looks. How much of an influence does he have on your career choices

susan murray   March 7th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

I can't belive how great dolly speaks and is really such a lady. I agree with her about Jessica Simpson leave her alone about her weight who cares let her live her life. Love you dolly you are great!!!!!!!!!

barbara   March 7th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

how refreshing to see a real hard working kind thoughtful inspiring level headed professional who has endured the test of time.
tonight dolly was a gift to all her heard her! humorous too!

marwa   March 7th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Dolly,,,,,,your so beautifull women in the Earth i love you voice..God bless you....I'm somalia girl who lives in minneapolis just wondering if i can sing with you when time in live. I sing but i'm not famous like you.

I love you dolly god bless you

marwa

lealdaza   March 7th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Dolly, we love you. You lift us up whenever we're in a bad mood. Thank you.

R. bridges   March 7th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

I have grown up with watcing Dolly Parton, and never given her much thought... but what a wonderful American! While we're all caught up in the attitude of polish and elegance, proper english and education; I am honored and proud to be seen instead with Dolly Parton as our ambasador. Dolly makes me proud to be an American. She shows that class comes in all ranges,and perhaps makes us take a second look at our priorities and our attitudes. She's worked and made her own style, and apologizes to no one. She is sweet and kind without being cheesy and prudish. She's edgy, smart and witty; all the time being truly totally American. I'm impressed. I'm educated, and I'm humbled. Thank you Dolly.

Sandra Hogue   March 7th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

My little girl an i went to dolly wood back aug, of 2008. and she is just a wonderful women. and Brooklynn my 5 year old, just love's dolly.
Dolly... she is who she is ... and a very loveing Lady.
and it was, a very loveing time we had with Dolly at the backstage lunching we had with her.... Dolly ....Brooklynn Jolene Ann still today love's you very much.
and as for Me, You have made My Little Girl's life so much better in so meany ways..... Larry, Dolly is Angle sent.
with all our love and thanks
Ms. Sandra Hogue from Southren Illinois

Bill   March 7th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Dolly, you are such a class act. It is refreshing in this time to have a celebrity who does not say a unkind word about anyone. It is also wonderful that you are so generous and use your wealth for the betterment of your fellow man. I hope Ted is in DC helping you.

Ruddy Ashman   March 7th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

Larry, thanks for the refreshing experience Dolly Parton shared tonight. She is a wonderful person jovial talented beautiful and well busted. There was never a negative coment made by her of anyone else. Refreshing when so many of us adopt a position that for my light to shine I have to extinguish yours. I felt so challenged and elevated after the episode Thank you both it was refreshing and rewarding

Kim   March 7th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

A positive fun loving soul and all to for real ! Go Dolly !

Sally, Burlingame, CA   March 7th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

I'm just curious ... I think I remember Danny Gans performing years ago at the Hyatt Hotel in Burlingame. Am I right?

Sandra Hogue   March 7th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

My Little Girl an I went to Dolly Wood back Aug, of 2008. and She is just a Wonderful Down Home Lady. and Brooklynn My 5 year old, just love’s Dolly.
Dolly… she is who she is … and a very loveing Lady.
and it was, a Very Loveing time We had with Dolly at the Backstage Lunching We had with Her! Dolly ….Brooklynn Jolene Ann still today Love’s You Very Much.
and as for Me, You have made My Little Girl’s Life so much Better in so meany ways... She Steel Singing Your Song( (Jolene) ) Dolly Your Angel sent.
with all Our love and thanks We Love You !
Ms. Sandra Hogue from Southren Illinois

Kola Olaitan -Lagos   March 7th, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Bravo! Just cant believe Dolly can still be looking this young.My very first time of watching this amazon live. A lady whose music I have admired so much for about 25 years. Her 'Coat of many colors' speaks volume about the growing up of many of us -especially mine. which I dedicate to my late mum who passed on about 10 years ago
God bless you Dolly.

MonBHolley   March 7th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

Dolly, I also remember "the good old days" without electricity or running water. I've always admired your sincerity and your beauty – BUT – why do so many (formerly) beautiful celebrities decide to ugly it up just because they're beginning to get a little older? I'm thinking now of Cher, another rare beauty who simply made herself unattractive with the butt-fat lips. Who started this trend anyway, and why does any woman think it will make her look better? It certainly doesn't make anyone look younger, just pathetic, and in fact really ugly on someone remembered for real beauty. Personally, I'd rather see a few wrinkles around that attractive smile you used to flash. Erik Smith was right.

By the way, my email has been out of commission for over a month. VERIZON is not, repeat NOT, always there for you.

Marilyn   March 7th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Dolly, Best of luck to you with your broadway production!! You have such a wonderful spirit!!

Mike Kelly (Louisville, KY)   March 8th, 2009 12:13 am ET

Dolly Parton Rules! Your unconditional love for all people is real! Will you ever be coming to Louisville, KY for any reason?

Truthseeker   March 8th, 2009 12:22 am ET

Dolly,

Did you ever play with Conway Twitty? If you did, could you share a memory?

Thanks,
TS

Lubbock, TX

Scott   March 8th, 2009 12:34 am ET

DOLLY! OMG! I love you so freaking much! You have always been an inspiration! As a Gay Male and a Christian it pleases me so much that you understand the idealism that we are who we are and it's not up to you or anyone else to judge!

I love the fact that you are open about your plastic surgery and are just an overall great person! BTW, hoping to hear you perform "hello God" again sometime very soon!

Scott

Brian   March 8th, 2009 12:35 am ET

Larry please spare us from the boring and insignificant Dolly Parton. What a waste of time for your viewers considering that we are in the most difficult economic times in many many years.
Danny Gans on the other hand at least is articulate and is truly one of the great entertainers of this age for sure. He appears intelligent and much more interesting to view and listen to than Dolly.
Thanks again for your great show. Just had to give you these comments this evening.
Brian from Virginia Beach

Truthseeker   March 8th, 2009 12:40 am ET

Danny,

What do you think of Terry Fator?

Lubbock, TX

Dee   March 8th, 2009 12:54 am ET

Saw Danny at the Mirage over 7 years ago. One of the best shows I ever saw in Vegas. Didn't know who he was at the time now I am so glad we saw him. Glad to see him on your show. Thanks.

Denise   March 8th, 2009 2:12 am ET

I love Larry King and I love Dolly. You are both an inspiration during this difficult time in our economy!!!

Dan   March 8th, 2009 2:19 am ET

hey hey Dolly
Love all that u have done n i love all your music.
Do u plan on doing any more woth L.Lynn?
Have u even thought abaout ever coming back to Emmetsburg?
I seen u and porter back in the 1960's when u came here for St Pats that year
Hope u are able to get close to my area again so i can see ya n listen to u sing again in person
Love the song Coat of Many Colors
keep up the good work
Dan

Deborah Ritts   March 8th, 2009 2:19 am ET

I saw Dolly once in concert & she still looks & sounds as good as ever, if ever in my lifetime I got a chance to meet another country star it would be Dolly. I've met Wilma Lee, Lorrie Morgan & Sammy Kershaw, but I have followed Dolly's career since she first came out. I have a huge collection of her LP's & cassettes, tapes, & Cd's. I admire you Dolly, I have gone through the weight problem like you & at 56 I am at the heaviest I have ever been. What is your suggestion to loose ?e

Deborah Ritts   March 8th, 2009 2:25 am ET

Dolly Will you ever give a concert in the lower Pittsburgh area ? I last saw you at Canfield, but the guy I was with at the time would't get a ticket up close. The pictures I took turned out blurry, so all I have are memories of that day. You would have laughed your ass off, people were taking double takes, cause I had my hair teased up like some of your old wigs were they would look up at the stage at you then look at me, they must have thought I was your double, that was when I was thinner... LOL I love your humor, your acting ability, & your great heart. It would be so wonderful if someday we met & could give you some poems that I wrote & have you put them to music for me. I also sing but never made it big time, just Karaoke contests...People think it is the jukebox playing but it was me.. LOL Stay as beautiful as you are.. Carl has to be proud of his wonderful wife.. as I mentioned before I have followed your career for a long time... Debbie

Deborah R   March 8th, 2009 2:28 am ET

Dolly, If you ever met me & knew my life that would be another top hit for you. I grew up wearing hand me downs, my mother was in & out of a mental institution from the time I was little, I had the chores & younger siblings to care for when my mom was home because she slept all the time from her medication. I always got the switch for one thing or another, Life for me was not a good one. Do you get idea's for songs from any of your fan's ?

Jewell   March 8th, 2009 2:36 am ET

Dolly has always been kind and gracious and loving to all. The fact that she does that speaks volumns as to who she is inside. Only a really loving person can have such a pleasant and sweet attitude toward others. Throughout the years I have never heard her say anything bad about others.

anita   March 8th, 2009 2:36 am ET

Larry,
Not to sound judgemental, but did Dolly say "sucks" at the end of her interview w/ you? Why? Classless. I don't care what our generation is saying. Classless. I love Dolly. Why does she think th e word "sucks" is acceptable? I hope I heard wrong. If not, then Pres. Obahma, the Pope, etc... can do the same. Let us bring class back, not go further and further down.

Anita from L.I. N.Y.

Siva   March 8th, 2009 4:50 am ET

Watching Larry and Dolly live was really a blessing. Dolly's spirit
is tonic for the times. Fantastic.

amb   March 8th, 2009 8:46 am ET

I had never heard of Danny Gans before, but I really enjoyed seeing and hearing him. I hope I can get to Las Vegas and catch his act someday – in addition to being so talented, he appears to be a really great person.

Bradley   March 8th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

Dolly, you are a truly wonderful person.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter