CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 25, 2009

Tucker Carlson: Promises and more Promises

Posted: 09:55 AM ET

By political commentator Tucker Carlson/The Daily Beast

Wasn’t this supposed to be a speech about the stimulus bill? In his first month in office, Barack Obama pushed through the largest expansion of government in human history, yet never bothered to explain precisely how all that spending was going to fix the economy. Tonight was going to be his opportunity to do that, to reassure us that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is more than a haphazard collection of pork and payoffs. But he never did.

Instead, like George W. Bush in the runup to the Iraq war, Obama used fear to silence doubters: “I can assure you that the cost of inaction will be far greater, for it could result in an economy that sputters along for not months or years, but perhaps a decade.” Obey, or we get a depression.

And, like the masterful politician he is, Obama sprinkled the speech with enough sweeteners to trigger diabetes: Massive new spending and deficit reduction at the same time. Tax cuts for you, tax increases for people you’ve never met. Peace between Israel and the Palestinians. The end of cancer.

Literally: the end of cancer.

The list went on. How much of this can we believe?

READ MORE HERE

Filed under: President Obama

Patrick E. Flanigan   February 25th, 2009 10:23 am ET

Dear Sirs, Just One question, What does Al Sharpton do for a living??? Who pays him and why?? What is his job title,where is his office, how can he afford to fly around and try to get involved in a lot of situations that are non of his business?? If we the AMERICAN PEOPLE are giving him even a dime it must stop!He is the worlds biggest BIGGOT. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS,AL, whatever that is.
Thanks for letting me vent. Pat Flanigan- Sarasota, Fl.

Michael C. McHugh   February 25th, 2009 10:47 am ET

I believe him when he says he's going to try to deal with all these difficult problems, even if some of them cannot be solved easily, and perhaps not at all. Health care will be the worst, since very powerful, entrenched interests have always blocked any attempts at reform–even when we've reached a crisis point when tens of millions of people no longer have private insurance and cannot afford medical care.

I suggest that we use the Federal Reserve to fund Social Security and an expanded Medicare program, and make sure that no one can raid the Social Security Trust Fund–at least until all the Baby Boomers have been safely retired and medicated. I can't think of any other source of funding that won't literally break the bank.

We could also use improve our system of public hospitals and clinics for those who have little or no money, perhaps send some Federal Reserve funds to state and local governments just for that purpose.

Rabbi S. Hurt   February 25th, 2009 10:59 am ET

Now that the stimulus rewards banks and purportedly making funds available to consumers; many consumers remain fearful about debt.

Strong regulation is needed to offset predatory lending! In lieu of:
Credit card companies high interest rates, annual fees, processing fees, over limit fees, late fees, other related fees, etc.

Banks charges double penalties to consumers in lieu of:
Overdraft fees and continous daily fees until overdraft amount is paid...

Consumers need relief from predatory lenders who exploit consumers.....These predators are the reason the economy slumped....Stronger regulation and penalties for credit card companies and banks.....

VANCE M ALQUIST   February 25th, 2009 12:43 pm ET

I am still very shocked and ashamed to see that nobody cares enough about the MILITARY to tell the PUBLIC the truth about the ALIMONY scandel. " USFSPA " is a very bad federal law,made even worse in these times of need by disabeld seniors who are RETIRED and are required by CONGRESS to give up 50% of their pay in ALIMONY to exspouses that are ( REMARRIED ). Reporters at CNN should be more concerned about the HUGE AMOUNT of DAMAGE being done.And what about the threat to our NATIONAL SECURITY.? Why isn't CNN taking the time to explain this on their shows.? I don't believe that if todays young men & women know that CONGRESS had laws to take away 50% of their pay,that they would want to enter the services.So I say again to CNN ,now is the time to talk about "USFSPA" .

gg   February 25th, 2009 12:47 pm ET

oil companies started this mess gogging what about them taking some of the heat

Karen Salvatore   February 25th, 2009 5:38 pm ET

There is a reason we have two ears and one mouth. Let’s adapt an unwritten rule for newly elected Presidents: Negative comments allowed after day 100. Until then, shut up, listen, and if you believe in GOD, pray!

hugh ~ california   February 25th, 2009 6:24 pm ET

Tucker Carlson? America for the most part had grown tired of Tuckers conservative oratories, which is why MSNBC cancelled his show. Maybe if he can come to grips with his flawed ideologies, he can help to save himself and our country as a whole. I love your passion man, I just don't dig your conservatives concepts. Tucker, loosen up dude! You're OK, I know you're not a Rush Limbaugh type!

David Thompson   February 25th, 2009 7:16 pm ET

My comment comes with a question. I have worked hard all my life since age 14, I am 38 now. 3yrs ago I was in a car accident, in which I obtained injuries. It has been determined that I am not able to return to the Heating/Cooling field. I applied for Social Security and was denied due to the fact that I am able to do sedentary work. Yes I do have a handicap however I am not cripple and in todays job market it is hard for a average person to find a job. And is seeming to be impossible for me to find employment. I am not a quitter and I have three children which I have a support obligation. I live in michigan and I am doing all I know how to do which used to be enough. So I am very humbly asking how do these so called changes help the handicapped who do want to support themselves maintain their dignity and be a functional part of society? I am no genius but something tells me something has to happen soon or the friend of the court will throw me in jail. I am not looking for a bail out I am looking for a job. GIVE ME FREEDOM OR GIVE ME DEATH. And I do agree with Mr. Cafferty "This country needs a revolution" The truth is this country will never be in good shape until the people who are making the laws are people who can relate to the poor and less fortunate. Somebody please tell me how I can get out of this situation at this point I am unable to even afford to leave the driveway

jw   February 25th, 2009 7:25 pm ET

Regarding the president speech last night ,to every thing he said," I say yes we can". I say that what you believe, if you say it you can have it.

The president believes it ,the republicans don't have to believe it.

As the president said it will take some extraordinary thinking to accomplish what the American people need.

Tammy   February 25th, 2009 7:27 pm ET

On Obama, I would have thought on the day he was sworn in , seeing as our ecocnmy is so bad , he should of had 1 big party instead of all 8. And also, would have won some big brownie points if he said that the President, senate and congress would be willing to take a pay reduction. Boy, I guess that just wishfull thinking. I still that God everyday that he is our President and not McCain. Obama by far is more intelligant!!!!!!!!!!

jw   February 25th, 2009 7:31 pm ET

Regarding the president's speech last night, in response to everything he said, "I say yes we can". I say that what you believe, if you say it, you can have it.

The president believes it, it doesn't matter whether the Republicans believe it or not.

As the president said, "It will take some extraordinary thinking to accomplish what the American people need.

Yes We Can!!!!!!
Yes We Can!!!!!

yeswecan   February 25th, 2009 7:40 pm ET

Hugh - California.. you are right on point. Cheers!

Further, Tucker Carlson must be a member of the " Lame Duck – Republican Society" who clearly have no idea of what it is like to see hard earned savings be diminished by the constant flow of bills, when you have lost your job. These idiot Republicans sat on their bureaucratic hands for last 8 years, put the country into a down-ward spiral mess. Then have the nerve to demand actions by the incoming President.

Now that we finally have a President that cares about all Americans ... All Americans, not just the few; all the Republicans can do, is once again, sit on their hands and criticize every word or effort that the President says or does.

Yet, this President has done more in one month than an other President has accomplished in an entire term. It quite simply, really... Yo! Tucker Carlson and Republicans if you are not going help solve this country's issues just get heck out of the way and keep your traps Shut!!!

Mari   February 25th, 2009 7:45 pm ET

Well, TUCKER CARLSON..... WHERE were you and the rest of the so-called-fiscal-conservatives when Bush was spending us into oblivion?

@ David Thompson..... thank you for sharing you story. God bless you.

Its amazing to me, how the far-right continues its vitriolic politics and comments!

Obama has been in office ..... 36 DAYS.... give him a break!

David Thompson   February 25th, 2009 7:48 pm ET

The Government has been handing us dung sprinkleing sugar on it and calling it candy so long and it still does not taste good. I guess some things are just harder to get used to than others.

Judith   February 25th, 2009 8:49 pm ET

I'm so happy that President Obama is the one in office and not McCain
We all know that it took us awhile to get into this mess and it will take us longer to get out but at least he's trying and not sitting on his rump.
This President is work,work,work.He knows he's going to have to deliver at least some of what he campaign on.The other will follow when he's elected to his 2nd term.He won't be able to do it all in one term but I'm sure he will get the votes and get re-elected once again no matter what the Republicans think.The Demo Party has a winner this time and the American people see that all the Republican Party in the House and Senate are nothing but a no no no to him while they were all on the bus alseep when Bush drove it.

As far as Bobby Jindal when he spoke after President Obama he acted like he should have gotten the wax out of his ears because he said the same thing that was said,mostly.Bobby talked like he was Mr Rodgers of 30 yrs ago talking to daycare children instead to adult Americans who have brains.It was that bad.He is not President material and neither is Sarah Palin so who the GOP will want to pick to run in 2012 they better see past their nose.It just seems they are out of touch.
Bobby is one Gov that will not take the money but he takes Federal monies because Federal monies they are not told how to spend it.
Many people in his state feel that education and healthcare have taken a back seat and now he's not worrying about them with extra unemployment benifits.

Ones can see the GOPs listen to Rush Limbaugh who is out of control and acts like he's back on drugs again.It's time at least a few of them have the nerve and stand up for the people who pay them and tell Rush to take a long vacation.

It's time for everyone to sit up and see that President Obama's polls are high while the GOPs are down so it's telling them something unless their all blind.

Barbara   February 25th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Tucker you must be a member of the GOP to make comments like that. Unless the GOP is willing to help out in a time of crisis I agree with yes we can. Get out of the WAY! This president has done more in one month than Bush did in 8 years. I foresee a death coming, the death of the republican party.

Pietro Sirianni   February 26th, 2009 12:47 am ET

I agree Barbara. We are now hearing a coward's cries of "Mommy" before he dies. Mark my words, the more prominent people like Limbaugh, Hannity, and Gingrich become, the quicker the death of that sorry excuse for a party will come. These days, I sit back and smile anytime I see one of them on TV. It really feels good.

ed,vancouver canada   February 26th, 2009 1:49 am ET

The stimulus package is being handled upside down.
How do you spend a trillion dollars,reduce taxes and cut the deficit in half?AND feed another war?Impossible.
Sell all the forclosed homes to the chinese instead of loans and
charge a 25% tax on the value?.It is still a good deal.

Seriously though,500 billion is 100,000 to 5 million americans that need the money.
It can go to the bank to save the home,or it can go as a pool from laid off employees to a business,so they get re hired.
Pay off credit cards,of which the bank still gets their money.
The money CAN NOT flow from the top down.It takes years.
Look at what has happened in the last month alone.All you see is losses and retractions,considering they all know the billions are coming why is this happening?Because economists know it will not work,that's why.
The long range plans can stay in place,but there has to be 500 billion in the hands of the american people to consume,spend,pay off debts or the u.s. and china are going down together.Stock and job losses will continue.Faster than now .Credit card debt is how much?
Canada is right behind.The largest pension in the country lost 25%.
129000 jobs in january, a disaster of an auto and aerospace industry on the verge of collapse.And today MAGNA says 2009 will be worse than 2008.If they go down,the japanese are hooped for parts too.
Lobby your government for a real stimulus package to the taxpayers.
The banks are going to eat the money,and close millions of credit cards to show a reduced liability to the government.The people that need the money will not get it,others will.So the business that laid you off gets loans,that does not mean you get your job back.Or less money.This whole process is too long dragged out since september.
It would be better to federalize the banks, and put credit cards at 5%
tax savings of 65 dollars in the average persons pocket? thats a tank of gas.This is a huge con job.The intention is to sell all the foreclosed properties to foreigners,and the "money ones" will protect their real estate by fuelling up the prices again.By the time this package works,there will be so many unemployed,the working class in america will be 6 dollars an hour.Despair leads to compliance.
Sick.

ed,vancouver canada   February 26th, 2009 2:01 am ET

David thompson,just an idea.
The HVAC field is a trade and if you have experience,maybe some estimating job,or phone work for an hvac company that is doing ok.
you could call previous customers and get appointments for work.You could do it from home for more than one outfit.I know the economy is really bad,but even if 50% have a home,there is a market.
I am in the auto sales business here for 13 years,and business is 25%of what it was in september.I have been looking at jobs at half the money of what i made before and no one wants you,they think when it turns around,you are gone.I am almost 50 and i might as well be 75 the way some people are.

David Thompson   February 26th, 2009 4:42 am ET

Thanks for the support ed,vancouver and Mari. At this point I am thinking Les Stroud has the best Idea. " Off the Grid". I do beleieve I could support myself that way and wouldn't have to weigh others down that are barely making it. I have made my share of misteaks and I do take responsibility for them. However I am finding it hard to blame myself when I see the problem being due to the poor decisions of our Government. And in all fairness We can not expect our Government to be perfect. However with the shape this country is in we have been failed miserably by the administrations prior to Pres. Obama, and I am only giving him the benefit of the doubt due to the short time in office. I mean come on I will never believe in a million years that with the weponry and technology we have we could not find Bin Laden. Are American people really believed to be stupid by our own government ? They bail out the banks and give them greif for not lending the money out. How are they to be expected to lend it out when more and more people do not have jobs to qualify for loans?
I could be wrong but it looks like the same old trickle down/passing the buck pollitics to me. If our country is in poor condition who is running it? Yet you hear none of them accepting responsibility for their misteaks. And when have we heard our country apologize for their misteaks. Bush Sure Didn't. I guess Clinton did after he tried lieing and that didn't work. I mean really people what where we thinking if Clintons own wife couldn't trust him how could we? it was a clear sighn to everyone he should have been impeached. We need a trustworthy responsible leadership.

Please keep the sedentary employment ideas comeing Please.

Pietro Sirianni   February 26th, 2009 11:16 am ET

How much did that war in Iraq cost us? What did we get out of it? That was an earmark for Haliburton.

Rabbi Samuel Hurt   February 26th, 2009 1:13 pm ET

Come on Larry, what average consumer can understand this Stimulus Bill. Now 3.6 trillion,,,President Obama says he will cut it in half in four yrs! It stinks to high hell. To think that he would strap this debt on future generation is appalling. The Stimulus Bill rewards wrong doing, passing the blame on homeowners, opens the door to homeowners looking to refinance putting them still at the mercy of the brokers who got us into this mess. Have you ever looked at a good faith estimate, some filled with hidden cost, exhuberate fees, etc.
President Obama would do better to confer with me.....But he won't!
He thinks he knows what he's doing, but the next four yrs. will show that he fell short,,,and the buck will be passed to us....Don't put faith in Man, put faith in G_D! G_D has a plan that relieves debt every seven yrs, but President Oabama is a gentile, He does'nt study Torah evidently!

David Thompson   February 26th, 2009 1:17 pm ET

simonsays, please telling people to shut up is so grade school. And I don't care if your bin ladden you do have a right to your own opinion. Sharing different opinions is one of the ways ignorance is exposed as well as overcome. And expecially if your not willing to put your name up there shows me that you do not stand by what you say but hide behind it. Only when understanding overcomes ignorance can one find peace.

David Thompson   February 26th, 2009 1:27 pm ET

And what is wrong with someone from another country careing about what is going on with us. Shows me that he is not just thinking of himself and his situation but others as well. This world needs more people like ed. I believe the worlds biggest problems, greed and selfishness. Because of them innosance is scorned.

Rabbi Samuel Hurt   February 26th, 2009 1:44 pm ET

Tammy, DITOOOOOOO

Jeff   February 26th, 2009 2:41 pm ET

Seems there are 2 sides. Those that want the government to do whatever it takes no matter the cost of money or true freedom to fix all problems. The other side wants the exact opposite. … Citizens say they like and want freedom. But in reality they want the government intervention in anything that affects them. Understand you really can’t have it both ways. You may think you can. But that is not true. I will not even bother to debate the case. I will let the next few years make my case.

Ken   February 26th, 2009 3:25 pm ET

It is really quite stunning to ponder. How far we have strayed from our nation’s founding principles (ordered liberty, rugged individualism, limited government, self reliance, etc). How soft we have become as a nation. How low our threshold for any pain has become. How little the American people know about our nation’s founding, and the principles that this nation was founded on. How so few Americans truly understand our history. How our founding fathers risked literally everything (life, property, wealth, even family) to fight for their liberty… that same liberty that today we so quickly abandon to stave off the pain of the equivalent of national stubbed toe.As John Adams wrote during the dark days of the revolutionary war, Liberty once lost is lost forever. With the election of Barack Obama, and his radical nanny-state government plans, I fear that we are now on the fast track to voluntarily surrendering more of our liberty to government than ever before.

Obama plans for cradle to grave government control of our lives are truly the greatest threat to our liberty as any we have faced. Once government has control over your health (big government universal healthcare system), then they essentially have control over your life… whether you get the treatment you need, and ultimately whether you live or die.

But Obama isn’t satisfied with complete control over your health, he wants government control over the earliest aspect of American’s lives.

VANCE   February 26th, 2009 4:05 pm ET

MONEY-MONEY- MONEY. I am so surprized that the PEOPLE reading this don't seem to understand that our GOVERNMENT is taking away 50% of the current RETIRED pay that our MILITARY RETIREE'S get in order to pay MONTHLY ALIMONY checks to exspouses who are and have been for 20 years now ( REMARRIED ).FREE MONEY to these exspouses from our GOVERNMENT that should go to our MILITARY RETIREE'S.Our CONGRESS continues to do nothing to correct this.And I have no idea why PRESIDENT OBAMA is also doing nothing ,when he is fully aware of the pain and suffering that this is causing to everyone. Everyone who read this should speak up against " USFSPA " now.

Akpofure OTT   February 27th, 2009 6:01 am ET

Time after time it appears CNN'S main flagship guru, larry 'disrespect' King has quietly tried to shunt and carve the newly elected 44th president up, with innuendo, suggestions and a whole load of negativity. Hiding under the guise of engineering urgent and topical debate, his whole demeanour suggests otherwise i'm totally wrong, that he for one would absolutely love for president obama and his administration to fail woefully in their quest to bring solace to the american people. Is this simply down to his party loyalties or is there a 'hidden agenda'? Come on mr king, cut the crap and afford the current admin due time to begin effecting the 'change' that is patently necessary. After all wasnt the same patience, support and understanding loyally afforded ex president bush, even though he was obviously way out of his depth in terms of economy and intelligence.

Dave of Detroit   February 27th, 2009 9:30 am ET

Money, money, money-Love that line! Here's one that isn't as popular-Rules, Rules, Rules! The job of Government is to insure that the business of the Country is taken care of, books are balanced, laws are enforced, and elements that seek to take advantage of the system are limited in what they can do and get away with-Unfortunately, the money, money, money line is used by special interests and "philosophical concepts" such as "Free Trade" and "Free Market Economy" are thrown around to justify doing away with rules, allowing unbalanced budgets and huge deficits, unparalled crime rates, illegal CEO Bonuses that somehow are not being taxed and the rich exploit the lower classes in wild abondon-Drugs and guns replace restraint and temperance and not only does an ineffective and incompetent President shoot from the hip but everyone else better arm themselves in the free for all mess that Bush has created!

David Thompson   February 27th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

People want to put their trust in Obama? I put my trust in God. And to those of you who don't believe you soon will. Repent. If they can smuggle so many drugs into the country imagine those drugs like cocaine mixed with anthrax, or marijuanna sprinkled with small amouts of antrhax. Imagine the impact it would have. There is no way for the government to protect us if they can not stop drugs they can not stop even worse biological weapons. I heard some inside info about Russia having ships of the coast of mexico, now I don't know for sure I could be wrong, but last week a russian bomber flew a little close for comfort. Like I said I could be wrong or I could be good at reading between the lines. They are taking our right to bear arms away so we have a economic revolution going on. And it seems to me that they are bailing out the rich and trying to squeeze the rest of the money out of our pockets. The plan of the wise is to be prepared for a surprise. So Repent. Then start planning for the worst. I know what it is like to be down. There are no shortage of people waiting to kick you when you get there, and America is down. We need to bring the troops home now. We are going to need them here. Just read revelations The sleeping bear awakens (Russia) and the most powerfull nation taken out in a day. Think about it. In my pesuit of self improvement the more I improved myself the uglier this world became. America is a modern day Sodom and Gomorah. So Repent and get busy. Don't spend money on vacations and luxuries only things abosolutely needed. How can anyone who has more than what is needed feel good knowing that there are people homeless, starving, and freezing to death right on our own streets. You can not serve God and money. Rich people make me sick to my stomache. Baseball players turning down 45 million sickning. It is just never enough is it. Even churches change their perspectives and sacrifice morals and values over money. Loans if you can not pay cash for it you can not afford it.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter