CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 24, 2009

How Palin is bucking traditional history of VP Losers

Posted: 09:11 AM ET

By Bloomberg columnist Margaret Carlson

By this time in an election cycle, a losing vice-presidential candidate is less than the proverbial warm bucket of spit.

Quick, who was Michael Dukakis’s running mate? Bob Dole’s? Now close Google. Lloyd Bentsen and Jack Kemp, respectively. Franklin Delano Roosevelt is the only losing vice- presidential candidate in history to eventually become president.

The poor odds aren’t discouraging Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. After the Republican ticket took a shellacking at the ballot box, a Rasmussen Reports poll at the end of January found that 55 percent of Republican voters wanted their party to become more like Palin, making it even harder to keep her down on the tundra. That day she formed SarahPAC to fund her travels around the country.

Hardly a day passes when she isn’t attracting a camera. Watch as Palin pardons a turkey for Thanksgiving. (Ignore the one being put through a wood chipper behind her.)

Read more HERE

Filed under: Uncategorized

sean brizendine   February 24th, 2009 11:24 am ET

larry i think sara palin as polarizing and wacky as she is could become the future of the republican party.
"sean in santa rosa"

Jay   February 24th, 2009 12:11 pm ET

I respect a lot about Sarah Palin. I voted for the Palin/ McCain ticket. Ms Sarah however needs to educate herself far more about politics in the "lower 48". I think 6-12 years as a Senator from Alaska would help her immensely. She needs to build a better media team around her. She is not yet anywhere near polarizing as Hillary Clinton has and is.
The Republican Party needs to expand its appeal outside its traditional reach. We need to relearn fiscal responsibility and live as well as preach it. We need to relearn personal responsibility and live as well as preach it. Can we do this in the next two years? Next four years? I don't know. I do believe our next Republican Presidential candidate in 2010 is some one who has not yet fully emerged on the national stage.

Rose   February 24th, 2009 12:48 pm ET

If 55% of Republican voters want their party to become more like Palin – that is bad news for the country as a whole. Palin does draw attention, but most of it is clearly bad. The Republicans need a person with a balanced approach as leader, Palin is so polarizing that she will not win the general population over. This is very apparent.

debbie   February 24th, 2009 12:51 pm ET

When is Palin going away? I have heard enough, is the republican ticket that anxious to throw anything they can at American people. How in the world could she possible show her face again after her nonsense and lack of knowledge in the last election. Does anything shame her? President Obama has a sure win again in 2012 if Palin runs again, well Tina Frey can't wait.

Dave of Detroit   February 24th, 2009 1:29 pm ET

I still wish that Obama would appoint Palin to oversee the Energy Department and Big Oil in particular-Big Oil pays Alaskan's for using their resources, we take whatever prices that big oil decides to charge us and give them land grants on a whim! I like Palin's approach much better, how about you?

nardofree   February 24th, 2009 2:18 pm ET

THIS TEAM IS STILL TRYING TO DEFEAT OBAMA? I THOUGHT THE ELECTION WAS OVA! WHEN DO WE GO OUT AND VOTE SO WE CAN GET RID OF THIS RIDICULOUS LADY OH, AND JOHN MCCAIN ?

Blaine   February 24th, 2009 2:37 pm ET

Mrs. Palin is hard to assess. Honestly, I think she is earnest in her intentions. But also honestly, I don't think she knows the weight that her intentions carry. I would never be a citizen in a country presided over by Sarah Palin, but I would follow it closely. I think that she possesses the charismatic persona especially within the media to keep climbing the ladder, but I also think that she should have a healthy enough state of mind to know what is within her limits. I don't think she will ever live down her comments during interviews where she was so ridiculously clueless, but I do think she will outlive the criticisms by the democrats and the media.

I think another 4-8 years as governor or as a political figure, but absolutely not the presidency, will serve her well if she spends it obsessing over both foreign and domestic policy, improving her image by acknowledging that REAL Americans are ALL citizens of America not just rural areas, and lastly, spending a fair majority of her "free" time to stroll down to the library and learn a whole lot more.

Rose   February 24th, 2009 2:56 pm ET

The only reason Palin came into the spotlight was because McCain needed an ultra-right wing candidate to appease his base. Palin was chosen for all the wrong reasons rather than for the right ones such as experience, intellect and awareness of issues.

The chosen-for-the-wrong-reasons candidate remains just that. She may feel a need to keep her name alive in the media, again for all the wrong reasons, perhaps to justify her multi-million dollar book deal.

Palin as a national candidate is over. Long over. Any media attention is unwarranted and old news. Please let it go already.

Joe G. (From Illinois)   February 24th, 2009 3:10 pm ET

As a Conservative speaking from an obvious personal perspective I’ll say that Sarah Palin did her job during the Primaries and accomplished all that what was asked of ever magnificently. But on the same breath, I’ll say that those high marks should not be converted under any condition into high value “Presidential” chips at anyone counter. I seriously think that Governor Palin should step aside and not risk impeding any other viable serious potential Presidential Candidate. The same goes for that Michael Steele guy. I hope Ms. Palin and that other Steele guy find enough maturity to look at them self in the mirror and accept my recommendations.

USAF   February 24th, 2009 4:06 pm ET

OH , I SO WANNA BE PRESIDENT PALIN...........TO GOVERN THERE TO ALSO THERE.....

Paul   February 24th, 2009 4:25 pm ET

Palin is a joke. The only problem is that she doesn't (want to) get it. As a grandmother it would be better she looks after her grandchild and her children and let smart people do politics. A big mouth isn't enough. Big mouth's mostly have small brains. Her education is peanuts when you compare it with Obama and his wife. When she has no other option she is pro life ,but guns aren't far away when it's about beautiful animals.

mike j   February 24th, 2009 5:32 pm ET

SEE THIS IS MY QUESTION TO ALL OBAMA BACKERS

obama does not have half of the exsperiance that palin has she has been a gov and a mayor and she har run a town and city in alaska and has brought millions of revenue to the state i mean obama has not done have that he has not been a mayor or ran a town are been in charge of anything big so what makes his more better i no

THE REAL TRUTH IS BECAUSE HE IS BLCAK AND SHE WAS A WOMAN

lisa   February 24th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

Paul you must be a vegetarian? Sure would hope so the way you make statements like that. Is there something wrong with a woman hunter? Seriously, why does everyone make such a big deal about her hunting? You would think this was a country of veggies. LOL you all will just pick her a part about everything. Strong, smart, and beautiful women must intimidate you. LOL sorry for you

John Hanley   February 24th, 2009 11:28 pm ET

Hey Debbie! Glad to see you are back and sorry to hear of your loss.
Seems we can't get away from the Sarah Palin issue. You're doing good though and keeping it clean. I don't think we have to continue the back and forth over Sarah Palin in 2012. After President Obama's speech this evening, I am convinced we have an eight year administration this time. Still think you underestimate the lady's abilities. Anyway, Welcome Back. Haven't heard from sailorman sea lately. Have you. That was quite a battle between him and mailman last month.

Purnell Kankakee IL.   February 25th, 2009 12:34 am ET

she is sad in every way!

janette tx   February 25th, 2009 1:17 am ET

mike j
Go back and read your comment.You can't spell
dude.No wonder you like Palin.

Gary Chandler in Canada   February 25th, 2009 4:00 am ET

somebody gets paid for coming up with this angle? sheesh
50 years from NOW,, 'quick' don't use Google
Who was McCain running mate?
Answer... who was McCain? ROFL
don't worry she is into her 14th minute

debbie   February 25th, 2009 11:50 am ET

Hi John, well I'm all for women in politics but like any other buisness, you need to know the facts and be knowledgeable. Palin is no Hillary and Hillary could not suceed so in my wildest dreams I just can't see Palin pulling this off. She certainly is trying real hard to clean up her disgrace in the interviews but how they can explain her lack of answering simple questions seems impossible. Palin has alot of people trying to undo the Matt and Katy interviews but if you choose to overlook her then she will be fine but if you heard her answers then you put her in the catagory with the others who made a mockery of themselves. To compare Palin 's experience to Obama's is insane, Palin is not even in President Obama's league. She wishes she was that intellegent but I cannot see it. If they really believe in Palin's chances to win then they should school her why they have the opportunity. Thank you John for your kind words.

ivana   February 25th, 2009 12:17 pm ET

i feel sorry for her, because she does not see ( or not want to see ) that she is making fool out of herself.

RAF   February 25th, 2009 3:50 pm ET

MIKE J PLEASE MAN ! DON'T GO THERE ABOUT OBAMA BLACK AND SARAH'S A WOMAN DUDE ! WE CAN ALL SEE THAT ! IT DOESN'T TAKE A LOT OF EFFORT TO KNOW THAT DUDE! WOW , WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT! WITH THE NAME SARAH AND RUNNING FOR VP I DIDN'T THINK SHE WAS A MOUNTAIN LION ! WAY TO GO THERE GENIUS!

gg   February 25th, 2009 6:00 pm ET

I was born a with a low IQ I,LL die with a lower IQ

gg   February 25th, 2009 6:56 pm ET

SHE,D LOOSE A I am a dummer contest

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter