CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 21, 2009

Saturday's LKL: Dolly Parton and Tyler Perry

Posted: 06:25 PM ET

Dolly Parton joins Larry and speaks out on Jessica Simpson's weight controversy, her thoughts on President Obama's economic plan and on her new title:  Ambassador!   Dolly never disappoints!

Here's a video preview:  Dolly reacts to critics of Jessica Simpson on LKL!

Plus, Hollywood money maker Tyler Perry! The actor, producer, director, writer is a modern-day Renaissance man!  See what makes him tick!

Check out Dolly Parton's Exclusive LKL Blog Commentary on her new role as Ambassador and her Smokey Mountain memories HERE!

Filed under: Dolly Parton • Larry King Live

Terry   February 12th, 2009 5:26 pm ET

For Ms. Parton,
I was able to visit your beautiful facility Dollywood and enjoyed every moment of it. What a great facility it is and I just want to say that I wish more parks were built and run like yours.
I am handicapped but had no problems getting through the park, and your employees were extremely helpful sometimes too helpful but none the less, it was great and I am planning to return this year for another visit.

I would like to know if you will be making any concert appearences this year at the park and when those will be made.

Congratulations to you for all of the excellent work that you do and for the wonderful facility that you run. May God Bless You

john   February 12th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

hey bill what is your take on that specie bill orielly

john   February 12th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

hey bill i love to hear you talk you sound so real and speak the truth , i am from the carribean southern chain grenad .w.i

margaret Greene   February 12th, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Do you think Bush should go to jail for war crimes

dede from ga   February 12th, 2009 11:58 pm ET

looks like D Parton has had facial surgery !,,

BEVERLY J.BARBER-GARCIA   February 13th, 2009 7:27 am ET

DEAR LARRY KING,

MY MOTHER HAD TWO HUSBANDS, MY FATHER'S FAMILY IS PRINCE CHARLES AND PRINCE ANDREW AND CRAIG FERGUSON.

MY MOTHER OWNS TWO HOTELS IN JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI.

MY MOTHER OWNS THE HEIDELBERG HOTEL AND MY MOTHER OWNS THE KING EDWARD HOTEL.

FAITH HILL IS MY FATHER'S GRANDDAUGHTER AND BRENDA LEE IS HIS NEICE.

I BELIEVE THAT TED TURNER HAS A SISTER, COULD HER NAME POSSIBLY BE, KATHLEEN TURNER.

BY JOVE, YOU COULD BE RIGHT.

NOT EVERYONE WAS BORN UNDER THE BOARDWALK.

YOUR FRIEND, BEV

Roy Mabe Jr.   February 13th, 2009 12:36 pm ET

Why do you think everyone is so critical of Jessica Simpson?

Margaret   February 13th, 2009 5:34 pm ET

Mr. Perry,

Your movies seem to have the following theme
Woman is marrie dto rich man
Rich man abuses or cheats on her
She meets blue collar worker that likes her and she likes him
She turns him down when he wants to be more
Evenutally she changes her mind and he like a little lost puppy takes her back.

Why do you show rich/well off men in a bad light?
Why do the women have to have a man to make them complete?
Why do you show the blue collar men as having little or no backbone when it comes to women?

jennie from nystate   February 13th, 2009 7:40 pm ET

is Jessica Simpson pregnant ??....is Mandy Moore ?..boyfriend seems weird ...

Don Dobbs   February 13th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

Mr. King, I was a close friend of Mose Dooley in Tennessee/Virginia. He use to call in to your radio program and would play his guitar and sing. He had his own radio broadcast equipment. I know you have interviewed a lot of people and may not remember him. He passed several years ago but I was wondering if you remember him.

Don Dobbs
Maynardville, TN

Vince   February 13th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Who cares what Bill Maher eats, Dolly Parton is both funny and very much admired around the world. And by the way even though she has had surgery she sure is a lot better to watch than such a negative Bill Maher. I wish we could have seen her and had a light hearted day withought just the misery and gloom in today's news that Bill seems to love. I do look forward to seeing Bill Clinton on your show but please show us how Dolly is doing!!!!!!!

Vince

John Hanley   February 13th, 2009 10:57 pm ET

John – Feb 12th, 9:22 pm ET. The truth depends upon who's speaking and who's listening. Back in the 60's one popular saying was "Tell It Like Is!" But that wasn't accurate either. Better to say "Tell It Like You See It!" Or "Tell It The Way You Believe It To Be!" although that would probably sound a little awkward. Problem is one Man's Truth is another Man's Lie. Oh Well! Whatever turns you on!

Denise Daniels   February 20th, 2009 12:45 pm ET

Larry,
Where do you find these "guest hosts" and why in the world would you allow a loser comediane like Joy Behar to take the helm of YOUR show. She looked like an uninformed 7th grader, jealous and immaturely hacking away at her nemesis, incapable of any wisdom or of even LISTENING when Ann answered her accusations. She looked WAY OUT of her league and it demeaned your show to the level of Jerry Springer. In all the world of celebrity newspeople – Joy Behar is the BEST you could do – come on!!!!
How about your try someone who has even a 3rd grade level grasp on the HUGE issues facing Americans? Or don't give your show to morons!

norma   February 20th, 2009 1:46 pm ET

i was very disappointed last night. i tuned in larry king and joy behar and ann coulter were on. they started to argue and i changed the station. who wants to listen to people argue for a hour.

Franky   February 20th, 2009 1:53 pm ET

Later Larry, I'm out for now. I'll see if I come back later on and bust out and make fun of myself of course...

Gary Chandler in Canada   February 20th, 2009 2:09 pm ET

The Obama press guy, what is his name Mr Smirk?
He is amused by things?
I am rolling on the floor laughing at some of his ignorant and dishonest comments and his sneery lips!
Example... "The American public has entrusted 'us' with their taxpayer money" ROFL
Is is NOT the taxpayers' money!!! It is your great grandchildren's' debt to China, Russia, Iraq.
If Obama can NOT see that, he canNOT fix anything.
---–
In the 30's they did not use the resources of children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to 'fix' the unemployment problem.
The 7% unemployment rate does NOT calculate the existing jobs that are bases on the unrecoverable debt of the Ponzi economy!
Just STOP calling it the Taxpayers money. Every living Americans' tax base is in the red!

Gary Chandler in Canada   February 20th, 2009 2:11 pm ET

oh after 1000 attempts he finally got the audience to laugh "decaf";
hardy har har
- he should wipe that smirk off his face
he AINT funny

Hirk (Female - 50ish)   February 20th, 2009 2:35 pm ET

Hi Larry,

I just wanted to thank you for the freak show last night. I was shocked to see Joy Behar, who I do not consider as a suitable replacement for you – she represents "entertainment TV" to me – not to be seriously considered. (Denise – you are so right.) And you had to continue to idolize the octomom, whose sanity is questionable, and then bring our attention to the other two freaks – the parents of 18 children.
(I guess God told them it was allright.)
What a wild ride it was last night!! Where is our country headed?
Where is your show headed???

JOSEPH GORKA   February 20th, 2009 2:47 pm ET

Dear Mr. King, I enjoy your show and find it very informative. I'm sure you want diversity and varied opinions to be represented. However, I do not understand having a confused, misinformed, hate-mongering, raving, idiotic, lunatic like Ann Coulter as a guest. This person has wasted her education as an attorney to attack fellow humans and citizens in a very destructive way. I have tried to find some redeeming qualities in her, but find none. Joy Behar tried tried to carry on a decent, logical conversation with this person ( Ms. Coulter ) but the raving, babbling, hate-filled nonsense was too much. Sincerely, Joseph Gorka

terri norris   February 20th, 2009 3:41 pm ET

Dolly;
Do you think its fare for Palin to charge Alaska for her daughter along with boy friend traveling with her this past year?

Do you also think Palin should take care of Alaska problems instead of charging more money for her 2012 plans and what about those clothes the tax payer paid for? Maybe she should ask John McClain wife to loan her some money instead of keep sending the bill to her tax payers.

Grace M.   February 20th, 2009 3:52 pm ET

Hi Larry,

Enjoyed Ann Coulter last night. Joy Behar could hardly bring herself to be civil towards Ms. Coulter. Had to change the channel after a while.

Next time you consider Joy Behar as a guest host, air a rerun instead.

Mike, Zephyrhills, FL   February 20th, 2009 4:12 pm ET

Ms Dolly,

I just love you, your special to me and the whole country. I wish you the best and keep singing for the Lord.

jessiejay   February 20th, 2009 5:04 pm ET

I don't think there's any need for anyone to defend Jessica Simpson! She's beautiful,intelligent, talented and healthy. What more could we wish her to be. To defend her for gaining a few pounds is to buy into the nonsense that what you look like is more important than how you feel.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder thank goodness. Dolly obviously feels the need to have surgery to hold back the aging process, that's her business and doesn't alter her talent. I think listening to a singer is more important that looking at a singer anyway. I suppose you could say that God likes beautiful people best, that's why he allowed the inovation of plastic surgery LOL. I'm just lucky to be a naturally beautiful 70 year old LOL.

phillip from TX   February 20th, 2009 5:18 pm ET

I would still like to know what Bill Maher eats he said "nothing from a super mkt" ..go figure...

atsegga   February 20th, 2009 5:32 pm ET

The Borgen Project has some good info on the cost of addressing global poverty.

$30 billion: Annual shortfall to end world hunger.
$550 billion: U.S. Defense budget

Joah P   February 20th, 2009 5:52 pm ET

I think that no one should bother J. Simpson about her wieght. Don't young kids have enough pressure on them to look "good"? A lot of problems are caused from that pressure (steriods, drugs, etc.). She isn't anything more than a kid herself. Give her a break.

Martha Bott   February 20th, 2009 6:11 pm ET

I first saw Dolly Parton on the Porter Wagoner TV show when I was in my teens. I am 58. She was the first person I ever thought of as a role model. All through her life she has remained true to herself. What she has done publicly and privately has made me feel if Dolly could see it through her good and bad times, I could too. The book program she has makes me so proud for her. I am not a dyed in the wool country fan, although I enjoy the music of George Strait and Willy Nelson, so please don't write me off as just a fan. I don't think I would ever find myself at "Dollywood", but you never know. I admire Dolly Parton the person, not the persona, for her goodness. Well done my good and faithful servant.

Carol Scott   February 20th, 2009 6:26 pm ET

Joy B. does not belong on your show. Her interview with Ann C. was an insult. She was rude, wouldn't allow Ann to speak, asked her to stop her answers and talked over her. Ann remained calm and professional, Joy did not, and looked ignorant, foolish and out of place on such a professional show like yours. Get rid of her.

I am no Ann fan but I was interested in what she had to say and she was not allowed to finish a thought without Joy yelling over her. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!!!!!

concered/Denver Colorado   February 20th, 2009 6:31 pm ET

Tler ..You should take your act to the white house and show all those repubulicans just how they are acting ..Obama would enjoy ..and I have always enjoyed your work ..Madea is my favorite

j king   February 20th, 2009 7:20 pm ET

Please tell me Joy Behar is not hosting the show tonite!

j king   February 20th, 2009 7:21 pm ET

cause I won't be watching if she is

Mathew Owens   February 20th, 2009 7:30 pm ET

Dolly Parton how refreshing after Ann Coulter, My dad as joke got a Dolly Parton doll for Christmas, They was same size as Barbies, in height ,thing is he loved it, as he unwrapped it he smiled,

Me I got picture of Ann Coulter on my dart board.

benjamin a poston/Tennessee   February 20th, 2009 8:04 pm ET

There is alot of plagerism in the music industry that the general public does not know about. When i was youner i wrote 100-200 poems and they were sold by someone i thought was my friend.

Danielle   February 20th, 2009 8:45 pm ET

Mr. Perry

I'm a 35 yeard old woman who aspires to be an actress. I'm taking acting clases but seem to be a stand still. What advise would you share about breaking into the industry?

vanessa from silver spring, MD   February 20th, 2009 9:06 pm ET

For Mr. Perry

I am such a huge fan. I own all of your plays(I bought them from Target not boot leg)LOL. Meet The Browns is my favorite stage play. The songs on that play are my favorite out of all of your plays. I just wanted to know did you write them or have a hand in writing them?

John Milton Wesley   February 20th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

2/20/09

First of all, my cousin Laramie Shaw appears Malik on House of Payne and we are all very proud of him, and the success of the show.
Fannie Lou Hamer was my "god mother" growing up in Ruleville, MS can I interest you in a script about her life? How about Oprah as Fannie Lou, with Danny Glover as Mrs. Hamer's husband "Pap"?

Beth   February 20th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

Larry Joy was wonderful last nite- but Ann what a poor excuse for a person ... PLEASE NO MORE OF HER...

STEPHEN BAKER   February 20th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Larry
The problem with the economy is it is not the mess it is but a lot of small companies do not think or see outside the box. My company is a IT computer company it employees 10 people but I think out side the box. the entire company is mobile we live in RVs and work from this lets us move anywhere in North America.
The main key to sucess has been to send myself and my employees back to school to upgrade.
The services that we provide are everything in Networking and other compter based services.
Yet the main stay of cash comes from the end user the person who has just bought a computer and real does not know how to use it yet. They are the mainstay of the IT industry.
So to come in a set someone up and get them started and fix problems for them is usually about 20 dollars. the idea of using scaled pay rate for costumer is the main key to the sucess of this company. The company was started in October of 1998 and is still going.
When we are working on a large project I supply insentives and cash bonus to get the job done.
They start on Monday and have always been finished by Wednesday. The bonus money has to be declared but in Canada the bonus taxation rate is only 1%. This works out really well for my employees because they get to spend the time they really want to spend with there families.
This company is a family. There are two rules in this buisness, the first being the customer is always right, and the second is the golden rule. The third is do not speak to customers in the language of computers because they will not understand.

Jean   February 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

Ann Coulter has a beautiful face, and she knows it, but when she
spews out her obvious hatred toward fellow Americans (Democrats),
she literally changes into an ugly witch flipping that hair around.
I can see her as Hitler, KKK, and good ole boy fat cat's favorite lady.
How do people like she and Rush who have so much obvious
hatred inside sell themselves so well? Is our country that mean-
spirited to like these two? Maybe Joy wasn't the best choice for
this particular show, but at least I felt Joy's humanity, and all
I can feel from Ann Coulter is the mean-spirited, rich girl who
likes to make others feel small. In the end, she looked ugly and
hard.

nicole jones   February 20th, 2009 9:19 pm ET

Mr Perry, my sister is constantly writing plays and scripts. it is her dream to follow in your footsteps. what is the single most important advice you can give her to get her foot in the door. she is 30 years old and it is all she has ever talked about. i would love to see her dream become reality. sincerely, nicole

Laurie from Northville, Michigan   February 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

I'm sure happy for Tyler Perry, but why can't I get advice from Oprah, TD Jakes and the like – BECAUSE I'M NOT RICH AND FAMOUS that's why. That's pathetic.

DEBORAH   February 20th, 2009 9:30 pm ET

I DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEANT ABOUT THE BLACK WOMAN BEING STRONGER......PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT....I KNOW AND HAVE KNOWN A LOT OF VERY STRONG WHITE WOMEN.....

Tracy R. Davis   February 20th, 2009 9:32 pm ET

Larry,

What an excellent choice to have Tyler Perry as one of your guests tonight. He embodies the spirit of faith, hard work and persistence that makes this country strong. I applaud Mr. Perry for his humble viewpoint about life and success. God bless you Mr. Perry as you inspire others to reach for nothing less than excellence.

Jean   February 20th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Dolly, you are a great icon and still looking good. A few years ago I saw the movie 9 to 5 and it was hilarious. What a movie! Sure would like to see it again.

Jim Bond   February 20th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

I find it disconcerting to read the generated characters at the bottom of your screen that quote your "live" guest BEFORE they actually say the quotes. Why can't you wait until your guest actually says the things during the interview before you flash it on the screen? Irritating and tends to make me tune out the actual interview. Thanks for listening.

Mike McAvoy   February 20th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Dolly,

You profess to be a great American. At the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach you appear in front of the flag and say what a great country this is. Yet you go to China to have those boot cups made. There are people in desperate need of jobs right here in the USA. There are plenty of companies here that can make those cups. Why can’t an American as great as you help YOUR people?

Mike McAvoy
North Georgetown, Ohio

Harry Higgins   February 20th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

A question for Tyler Perry: Do you know the origin of the name "Madea"? I do.

Rov   February 20th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

Dolly Rocks...her gift of music, shared so freely, will live on for generations. I put a Dolly album (yes, an LP) in my time capsule. Favorite song, Dolly covering Led Zepplins Stairway To Heaven. Shine on Dolly

Heather   February 20th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Dolly I love you. You are such an amazing woman and person. God Bless!!

Chi   February 20th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Hi Ms Dolly,

I just want to tell you that I adore you, ever since I was a little girl but unfortunately, I don't have the wonderful voice, so keep doing what you re' doing.
God bless

Guyla Tiede   February 20th, 2009 9:46 pm ET

When is Dolly going to do another movie? I love her movies.

Marcia Botsford   February 20th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

Dolly,
As usual you look great but have you had face surgery. You just look different. Not bad better but please tell the truth!

Thanks,
A Great Fan

James from TN   February 20th, 2009 10:01 pm ET

Dolly is Dolly, one of a kind, Ithought for a long time her and Kenny Rogers were married. I loved all their duets and wish they'd do another colaberation. She's always unfiltered and uncensored and I love her for that.

Glory Hughes   February 20th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Dolly is a delight! I'm a decade or two younger, but golly Dolly I hope to look as great as you and be the vivacious gal you are! You're honest and straight forward. I had always hoped that you'd join the cast of the View before the blonde, young Republican joined the show.

Eleanor   February 20th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

I think the most special attribute of Dolly is her loving warm heart
her attitude toward her fellow man is absolutely a God given gift
Wha! a wonderful entertainer and human being you are Dolly

MzB   February 20th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

I just watched the interview with Dolly Parton and I was really impressed. Always known she was intelligent and fantastic all around, but its refreshing to see her and listen to what she has to say. Kind, honest, & articulate! thank you and Dolly is FABULOUS!!

Laura   February 20th, 2009 10:14 pm ET

Dolly, as usual you are a upfront and fabulous lady. Thanks for all the honest candor you give. May god bless you and your family. Thanks again for all that you do for the world...:Laura Morris

Jamison   February 20th, 2009 10:15 pm ET

I enjoyed your segment on Tyler Perry. He is a humble man and an extrordinary actor and play writer. I look forward to seeing his movie this weekend.

Alan Rothman   February 20th, 2009 10:20 pm ET

I listened to Joy Behar's interview with Ann Coulter who I had never heard of before. My impression of Ann was that she was very much flipped outside of her self with no internal awareness. While I like Joy very much, it was very uncomfortable for me to watch that interview. And it was not based upon Coulter's political views at all; just her awful aura.
I think she needs help to handle her emotions, or at least come up for air, taking a few deep breaths and then exhaling.

Sue D   February 20th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Yah Dolly.....you are your own person. I really respect entertainers that do what they do well, and that doesn't include the hype of looks.

Who cares if Jessica gained weight...we have so many more important things to deal with in this country.

Ann Coulter and Joy Behar: that was an open invitation to sell a book.
Joy can be a good comedian but as an interviewer...not.
Ann Coulter is sell my book! This is someone selling themselves as a conservative and I really don't care who she dates.

Again, we have so many more important things to deal with in this country: lack of jobs, money for food and medical care, housing lost, pensions that are quickly eroding.

Sue D

Scott   February 20th, 2009 11:23 pm ET

Larry,I was wondering why we dont hear more about extending the life of ones mortage loan?Thus lowering ones payments,keeping people accountable for their own actions,and not using tax payer moneys to bail them out.If its because their home may not be worth as much,does not sound like a good or fair reason to me.I would like to hear what you or others think.Thank you.

Dee in GA   February 21st, 2009 12:21 am ET

Mr. King, I thought it was very rude of you to tell Dolly Parton how good her plastic surgery looked. Why not just say "you look very nice "?

Elitha D. Olguin   February 21st, 2009 12:39 am ET

Dear Larry King,
My name is Elitha D. Olguin. I have written a book "Do It Before It;s Too Late". It is now on Border's.com, Barnes & Noble.com, & Amazon.com.
I saw Tyler Perry on your show tonight 2-20-09.
I am a 66 yr. old black woman who is looking for someone to make my other Book into a movie. It is called The Elitha D. Olguin Story. It will be a best seller. Can you see if Tyler Perry would be interested in doing it for me? Thank You Larry. My home phone # is 503-661-7754, my cell # is 503-290-8455.

Sincerely Elitha D. Olguin

virginia in canada   February 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

it is refreshing to see both mr. perry and ms. parton on the show. they seem to be two people who have two qualities that we should value more often: humility and integrity. even with the difficult times both guests have experienced, they continue to be positive and inspirational. they are also able to laugh at themselves without becoming defensive. a very entertaining program tonight.

mary jane   February 21st, 2009 1:04 am ET

Dolly is great! I agree with everything she says. She is so gracious. Thank you Dolly for speaking up for our new President.

angie in Flintstone, GA   February 21st, 2009 1:04 am ET

I disagree with Virginia in Canada...how can both of them be refreshing..Dolly is accepting of ALL...Tyler Perry tells all who can't see...".HE IS AN AFRICAN AMERICAN"...AMERICA has POOR of ALL RACES working hard to make more of THEMSELVES!!

charlie cregor   February 21st, 2009 1:09 am ET

WOW LARRY!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN "DOLLY PARTON ON LIVE TV"..BUT I DO TRULY APPRECIATE THE FACT..."THAT U DON'T HATE "GAY PEOPLE"..AND U R "OPEN MINDED TOWARDS GAY PEOPLE SIR!!! "FIRST AND FOREMOST SIR!" "I ALSO DID NOT KNOW TIL YOUR SHOW...THAT "DOLLY PARTON"...."LOVES GAY PEOPLE SIR!"

NINE 2 FIVE...IS A "CLASSIC"...AND..IT WAS "REALLY SO KEWL U BROUGHT IT UP"...ON YOUR PROGRAM...IT'S LIKE...IN THE "GAY CULT MOVIES"...SUCH AS "DIVINE"..."PINK FLAMINGOS,"...."MOMMY DEAREST"..."STEEL MAGNOLIAS"....A COMPLETE "CLASSIC SERIES SIR!!"

I ABSOLUTELY "LOVE YOUR SHOW SIR!"

MAY GOD BLESS U SIR!

Love,

Charlie C

Dallas TX

214.603.3700
hpcharlie@yahoo.com
vg

Maria DiGirolamo, Cantonment, FL   February 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

First of all, Larry you always have a great show! I hope you NEVER retire!

Dolly, you are a beauty and an inspiration to America! I see Jesus in you – I see and hear HOPE and that is what this country needs more of! Fear is really creaping into our homes these days but it is nothing more than an illusion from the evil one...God IS IN Control and He LOVES His Children! Dolly, thank you for speaking His Hope into America tonight!!! (I have never been to the Smokies but hope to get there one day.) Be BLESSED ABUNDANTLY!

And finally, Tyler, thank you for sharing your FAITH Journey with the viewers tonight. I WILL Pray for your dream of "bearing" an INSPIRATIONAL Network in the next 5 years – Clearly, the Lord is using you to touch hearts and minds of people here in the states and around the world. May the Blessings continue as you serve Christ faithfully in Spirit and in Truth!

Bridget   February 21st, 2009 3:49 am ET

I watched the show tonight with Tyler Perry and I have to say I was almost asleep, but I woke up immediately to watch your show. I'm a native of New Orleans so we have something in common. I would like to know how or where can you audition for Tyler Perry or send headshots/resume to Tyler Perry Studios? Tyler Perry would be the ideal person to work for because of his "Faith" and the messages his movies portray.
Any information would be appreciated. I pray that he will continue to be blessed in all his endeavors.

God Bless

mary dyrssen   February 21st, 2009 3:56 am ET

Jessica Simpson's weight is NORMAL! Dolly should know that most teenage girls are weight concious to the point of obsession! Same thing with Britanny Spears. These young women couldn't have been more than an 8 or 10. what a terrible message to send to the female youth of today!

mary dyrssen   February 21st, 2009 4:04 am ET

miss parton, do luv ya, saw ya @ chicago theater a couple years ago. just want girls to have a healthy approach to their lives where weight is concerned.

Georgetta   February 21st, 2009 5:08 am ET

Dear larry,
I want to say I just love tyler Perry. I am his greatest fan. I even advertise his movies to my friends and family in Europe. I was in America when 'why did i get married ' came up. Why don't you promote your movies in Europe? Can I please get to be a cast in ypur movie?

Georgetta   February 21st, 2009 5:11 am ET

Those questios are for Tyler Perry

Ziggy Owei   February 21st, 2009 5:33 am ET

Hi Larry, my name is Ziggy Owei writting from Cape Town South Africa. I am a huge fan of your program, I watch it late at night live and watch the repaet in the morning too. Last nigts episode featured one of my best movie stars, Tyler Perry. Am a huuuuge fan of his. I think his movies are really excellent and the fact that they all have a lesson to learn. Last year I celebrated my 15th weddeding anniversary and his movie "Why did I get married" was a perfect pick for us that night. My husband and I loved it and we learn't a lot. Can you just tell Tyler that am really love his movies and I would like to meet him some day, he looks alot like my oldest brother who lives in Huston Texas. I would like to know about his family, you didn't talk about that on the show last night. Furthermore how can I get the latest movies? We only have these in SA.. Why did I get married, Daddy's little girls, Dairy of a mad black woman and Madea's family renunion. I would like to see more if you can let me know how to order them. Finally, I can't wait ffor his cable network. Will pray for you to achieve that goal cos I will be glued to your network and just take time off to watch Larry King Live..

Ziggy Owei   February 21st, 2009 5:33 am ET

donna vigen   February 21st, 2009 6:11 am ET

Dear Larry, I still love Dolly. She is so real and I have never heard her say a bad word about anyone all these years.Her m,usic is so complex, she an do bluegrass, western and pop rock . You name it Dolly can do it. I wish they would leaveJessica alone we all gain weight and have our days. Eventalking to a friend how many times can we forget a persons name or street name or anything. The ones that are judging have no room to even open their mouths. I still love your show . Donna

Harley   February 21st, 2009 7:08 am ET

When I moved into my condo in 1982, I knew I would never forget my 2-digit mailbox combination. All I had to remember was Dolly.

shawn c   February 21st, 2009 6:38 pm ET

When I heard the one and only Dolly was going to be on I set my tivo and I sure am glad I did. Beautiful, entertaining, and certainly uplifting during these times. God bless Dolly Parton and larry King who always treats her so kind.

DeeDee   February 21st, 2009 10:19 pm ET

HI LARRY,
YOU DONT NEED ANY FACE LIFT YOU ARE HANDSOME AS YOU ARE. THANKS FOR HAVING DOLLY ON SHE IS SUCH A DOLL. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL INSIDE AND OUT.
WE JUST LOVE DOLLYWOOD IN THE TENN. MOUNTAINS, WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD A GREAT TIME THERE. GREAT SIGHTS, FOOD AND JUST FUN.
LOVE YOUR SHOW KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK..
SINCERELY DD

Lou   February 21st, 2009 10:47 pm ET

This is the first nite I did not change the channel. I was impressed by both your guests tonight. I ran into a nice lady in the market today-we both agreed that we need positive re-inforcement, rather than "bad news" I appreciate Dolly's comment-If I have to I will dig up dirt again. She gave me hope to fight and Mr. Perry gave me faith-thanks-

unemployed and fighting to survive "in the right way" here in so. cal. (oh yeah -we are at ??? 10%) My dad lived through the depression-He always told me "this too shall end". Thank you for hope.... we need more positive stories.

E Sloan - From Modesto California   February 21st, 2009 11:01 pm ET

I like most american’s are very skeptical of the Washington, but I believe in President Obama and I think we should all give him a chance until he proves to us otherwise. The guy has been in office for only a month for God sake.

lashander vaught   February 22nd, 2009 12:30 am ET

This is for Tyler Perry. I just left the theater here in Durham NC out on MLK BLVD and got jipped on the movie. We to request to see the previews, and then just before the end of the movie(I guess) they just shut the movie off and turned the lights up. Like ok you can leave. After an hour wait in line and spending over 30 bucks for my family and I, I want to see everything from the rooter to the tooter. I think that was very foul. This isn't the first movie of yours they have done like this . How do you feel and what are your suggestions? I love you Madea!

Maudie   February 22nd, 2009 12:32 am ET

Mr. Perry I have watched you every since your first play came out on video. During one of my most depressing times I saw one of your plays and I found myself both laughing and crying. Then I started to feel uplifed, by to words, the songs and just your characters in themselves. I started thinking of the type of people that I grew up around. Every one of your characters would remind me of an aunt or a uncle who kept me from killing myself.

So Mr. King I would suggest that you go out and buy everyone of his videos, the plays and just watch them and even you will see someone that you grew up with. You know thou Mr. King if you would have did your studying before he came on your show you would look at and know Tyler the man and not Tyler the rich man. I'm so proud of him and even my children at a young age knew who Mr. Tyler plays and Sweet Honey on the Rock was, and knew that when moma started to put their music on that the whole car would started rocking, and singing, crying and laughing, they learned how to raise above diversity.

I call Tyler Perry studio the Alt Hollywood, where young and old black men and women can go and get a chance to changes their lives.

ed,vancouver canada   February 22nd, 2009 12:52 am ET

Dolly is one of a kind.
They don't make people like that anymore.

ed,vancouver canada   February 22nd, 2009 12:55 am ET

Larry King,you gotta call your buddies at EXXON nd tell them to stop running natural gas commercials on your show.They are the last people on earth that should be educating people how to bring down
the price of oil.
They are the worst of the offenders.

Anne   February 22nd, 2009 1:02 am ET

Love Dolly! Glad you had someone that tells it like it is but with class and humor. Just what America needs right now! Actually Dolly is timeless....If only there were more like her.

Dairo Ololade   February 22nd, 2009 5:55 am ET

My friend gives alot of credit about her Godly character to Dolly's music.I believe that... Am watching her now on CNN,and i just love her.

Dairo Ololade   February 22nd, 2009 5:56 am ET

Are you involved in charity?

Patricia Ann Manson Kindles Ford Bethel   February 22nd, 2009 7:09 am ET

Mr. King: This morning, you blessed those of us early risers
with the gift of Tyler Perry. I found this piece of
inspiration from the BET Awards. Thank
you for causing me to revisit the TP
blessing this Sunday morning.

THE BLESSING OF TYLER PERRY

There has been…for much, much too long
a spirit somewhere that has stifled her song.
Sometimes she asks God , “Where have I gone wrong?”
Then someone like TYLER PERRY dares to come along.

He makes his arrival on a Larry King stage
He takes her inner spirit to a whole different page.
Inspiration leaps out like it’s been locked up in a cage!
His words just inspire. His words took her higher.
In essence, Brother Perry simply ignited her fire!
It’s a flame that’s been burning for a LONG time now.
The devil has tried to douse it out, but that, God won’t allow
The haters have tried to crush it.
They didn’t give it, so they don’t know how.
AND this servant just keeps embracing it.
It’s nothing she claims to own.
It’s a God-given gift, Mr. King. It’s a definite temporary loan.
She knows it’s got to be shared until God calls her home!

AND THEN, EARLY THIS MORNING AFTER HER LIFE HAD
BEEN ON THE BRINK OF AN ALL TIME LOW,
she’s watching Larry King Live and WHAT do you know?
Madea comes on and she’s dressed like a man.
He’s telling the listeners, in my mind, I did it and certainly you can!
In the Spirit, he’s speaking and he’s trying not to preach!
But he KNOWS there are dying souls out there
that God wants him to reach.
Tyler knows he’s NOT the ONE who has brought him safe thus far.
He knows ONLY God has made him this awesome super star.
For it doesn’t take him long to remember the days
he was homeless and had NO shoes.
You see, he doesn’t take God’s blessings lightly.
He has giftings he cannot abuse.

Bro. Perry made this woman rescind the pity party invitation
she might have sent herself in the mail.
His words, by divine appointment, reminded her,
she serves a GOD that cannot and will not fail!
When she identified with his struggle to stay humble,
it was on a BET stage that she heard him say:
“Jesus Christ didn’t have a place to lay his head
BUT He did have a place to pray!”
AND HER SPIRIT STOOD UP INSIDE HER!
She’d heard SOMETHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!
But there was something about hearing it awards night
that struck a chord she COULD NOT IGNORE!

Satan wants her pilot light to stop burning, Mr. King.
Of that there is NO doubt.
But what she knows IS what she knows.
satan ain’t gonna take her OUT!
It was then and even this morning,
tears could have been all up in her eyes.
You see, she knows for herself and nobody else,
she’s got to keep her eyes on the prize.
But her eyes are getting dim, my brother,
and the world has got to be told:
She’s sitting on a GOLD MINE, Mr. King
and doesn’t know how to MINE THE GOLD!
At times, it’s very overwhelming,
for seldom is she UNINSPIRED.
She’s come to comprehend quite clearly
“to whom much is given, much is required”!

YES... SOMETHING HAPPENED to her again this morning
as she lives in this world full of strife.
MR. TYLER PERRY became a harmonious chord
on the soundtrack of her life!
For that, she will always be thankful,
and in closing it must be confessed:
His labor sir, has not been in vain.
He’s touched her and she counts herself blessed.

Thank you Mr. King for allowing her to vent.
This morning embraced moments that
she deems very well spent!

She Is Simply
JAVA,
Just A Voice Away

DeborahAMyers   February 22nd, 2009 4:57 pm ET

Thankyou Larry for having Dolly Parton on.She is wonderful. I know that you treated her with respect and dignity.She is a special person that has done much for many and a heart of gold.Thankyou Larry for having her on your show. Deborah

DeborahAMyers   February 22nd, 2009 4:57 pm ET

janette tx   February 23rd, 2009 2:35 am ET

Dolly Parton was once easy to look at ....but now
she looks worse than Mickey Rourke!! Going under
the knife and because you can't accept yourself...
got you nothin' but a face I wouldn't want for free.

Pastor Eric F. Ricks   February 23rd, 2009 2:14 pm ET

Think!

“Is Madea a representation of your wife, your mother, or your grandmother?” “Is she the pattern you want others to accept or emulate?”

Sandra   February 23rd, 2009 9:51 pm ET

Hi Larry,

Here is something that I want to say and I hope that you post it.
For God's sake to the people in the media and others "Let the President do his job!!!!! He is doing the best a man can to cure this ailing economy. He does not have a magic wand that will cure everything in seconds. Please stop flashing statments on the T.V like approval rating down, honey moon over already? He inherited the worst economic system in decades and you all expect him to turn it around in less than a month of his taking office. Listen American people "This President right now is your only hope to save your jobs and economy. Give him sometime. Also I would like to comment on Media. Please do not be divisive. I was very upset with LouDobbs comments today. He normally tries to show the negative of the govenment and not the positive. He asked one of the reporters that the President had a fiscal responsibility summit although his govenrment will be spending $787B?
YES OFCOURSE!!!!That's the point PEOPLE!!!! THE MONEY IS THERE TO BE SPENT TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY BUT IT IS TO SPENT WISELY AND THATS WHAT THE PRESIDENT IS TRYING TO SAY.
What's the point of getting all this money approved if it is not to be spent???????

Please DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT send out negative messages about the president and the goverment when they are your only hope righ now.
American people, you elected a good man who is your only hope buy do not get carried away by the media. Give him time and trust in his ability to bring the change.

bill   February 23rd, 2009 9:59 pm ET

America is meant to have been a country FOR the people BY the people, i no longer see this as a state of fact. This Government is controlled by old money and special interests. Both of whom depend opon the middle class as a source of income for whom there is no say in the matter. i am now considering applying for citizenship in Canada just to escape the current climate of political war upon the citizen that has taken hold in this country

bill   February 23rd, 2009 10:14 pm ET

Quible about movies while this government taks your tax dollars and gives them to who knows who. WAKE UP, PLEASE.

Pastor Eric F. Ricks   February 24th, 2009 1:22 am ET

Thank you for posting my quote so quickly.

janette tx   February 24th, 2009 2:11 am ET

Madea is a comedy character have you ever watched
Carol Burnette? Men on her show dressed as little old
ladies and Carol herself dressed as a guy...In the name of
comedy lighten up.!

evelyn palmer   January 3rd, 2010 1:55 am ET

dolly i love ur music my grandpa was a big fans of ur music he past away 2 years ago we played i always love u it was is favorite song

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter