CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 30, 2009

Check out these stories on Joe Torre

Posted: 03:40 PM ET

There's a lot of buzz out there today about Joe Torre the current manager of the LA Dodgers.  But he's not talking Dodger baseball on LKL, rather focusing on his years with the NY Yankees.

Here's a little round-up on Torre around the web:

LA Times – "Joe Torre puts Dodgers in an awkward position" – Just as the Dodgers are gearing up for the new season, their manager is out pitching a controversial book about his days with the Yankees. From the first day of rookie ball, a young player hears two cardinal rules: What happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Don't put yourself ahead of the team.  By violating both of those covenants, by sharing clubhouse secrets and by upstaging the team that employs him with a book tour to talk about a team that does not employ him, Torre has left the Dodgers in an awkward position on the eve of spring training.

-------------------

NY Times – In this article, Joe Torre talks about his relationship with Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman; about Alex Rodriguez, of whom he is critical in the book; and he also does not seem fazed that he helped write a book that could irritate some people in baseball while he is still the manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers. “Knowing that my name is on it, I know I’m going to have to answer for it,” Torre said of the book’s contents.

-------------------
MLB.com – Joe Torre's first interview with LKL is tonight – talking about his new book, which exposed teammates' criticisms of third baseman Alex Rodriguez and disclosed details of Torre's fractured relationship with general manager Brian Cashman, reveals a side of Torre that didn't publicly surface during his 12 years as manager of the Yankees.

Filed under: Larry King Live

sue   January 30th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Joe,

You're a great coach with an outstanding record. The Yankees and their fans are just upset that the truth about the prima-donna's they chose to fill their team with are being exposed. As you know, money can't buy you everything, including respect. Best of luck to you and the Dodgers.

Sue – A lifelong Red Sox fan 🙂

Eleanor   January 30th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

I am a Canadian and Jays fan but I always loved and respected Joe Torre as the coach of the yankees.his stature just came across as a man who should be respected and I think that alone says a lot about him
I am going to be sure and read his book
as far as I am concerned if you cant accept criticism in a book as an individual you are not a very mature person
Best of luck Joe
I loved watching the Jay , Yankee games

steve coradi   January 30th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

would you ever consider coaching in new york ???? we love you and miss you in new york...

b mcgraw   January 30th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

who u think is greatest mgr of yankees of all time?

Bruce   January 30th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Joe, I was VERY disappointed that the Yankee Organization did not so much even mention you and all of your accomplishments in the celebration night of the last game at Yankee Stadium. Did that hurt?

Griffin   January 30th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Joe Torre is an extraordinary individual and extraordinary individuals are, by definition, different than you and I. It has always baffled me how consumers want the producers to fit neatly in some ideal of how they think they SHOULD be. The extraordinary persons expectations of themselves, their expectation of others, their work habits, their utter lack of acceptance for life on lives terms; these are just a few of the traits that separate them from you and I, and curiously, cause them pain and unhappiness. Success comes at a cost and it is not surprising, at least to me, that Joe has a mercurial relationship with other extraordinary persons with whom he spent a great deal of time- this is just one of the prices they pay.

anthony ausiello   January 30th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

Joe,

I've read you had incentives in prior Yankee contracts. Is that true, and if so, why were the incentives in the contract you turned down so insulting?

Scott   January 30th, 2009 9:49 pm ET

Joe,

Big Yankee Fan here! Will you ever be back at a Yankee Stadium Event; i.e. Old Timer's Day?

Denise   January 30th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

I am very disappointed by your choice to write this book and expose confidences that should have remained in the clubhouse. I don't question your veracity; I question your lack of discretion and integrity – and your motives.

Tammy   January 30th, 2009 9:58 pm ET

RED SOX FAN HERE...I loved you in New York...glad you're gone so I can go back to hating them again....

You are a class act...New York may have to live the curse now of losing you and moving into their new home...imagine leaving the House that Ruth built...shame on them...
Good Luck to you in L.A.

Nando   January 30th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

Were you the most influential factor in getting Manny as a Dodger? If not, whose idea?

Samuel Tavarez   January 30th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

Joe,
What do you think about the new Yankee Stadium? Are you going to miss the old Yankee Stadium?

PS I'm a huge Yankee Fan!!!!!!!!

Roger   January 31st, 2009 12:07 am ET

The country is going down the toilet, a new adminstration is trying to combat that debacle and you folks choose to waste an hour of valuable and potentiall influential air time doing what amounts to an "infomercial" promoting Joe Torre's book.

Who Cares??!!
RCP.

Michael   January 31st, 2009 12:19 am ET

Joe,
What is the possibility of you getting Bernie Wiliams and Derek Jeter to become Dodgers if and when Jeter is a free agent?

Bill   January 31st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Million dollar quesiton!
If the Yankees tank and they were to offer you a contract you were to feel was worthwhile and the Dodgers were to go in the direction of Don Mattingly as manager, would you ever consider it?
I have to say your triumph over the prostate cancer made me believe you were truly the legend that I thought you would be. Watching you each time you were in Oakland, I would always tell my friends, how much you reminded me in your thinking of management of how my grandfather managed me when i played.
Thank you for the memories. I miss seeing you in Oakland.

tommy   January 31st, 2009 12:29 am ET

Roger, I am sorry about your feeling about the economy. I have to say that diverting for even an hour makes me feel like things can get better. Seeing the Charlie Hayes catch reminds me...there is always anoither season.
Have a great night.

mike   January 31st, 2009 12:43 am ET

Hi Larry,

As a father of a baseball player in Junior College in NY, I appreciate the fact that Joe has taken the time to be honest and professional always. I have always hated the Yankees because of Stienbrener but, i have found mysel growing to appreciate and respect the way Joe manages. It is refreshing to see an old school manager being honest at all times in good and difficult times – I would offer my congrats and respect for a manager that is a fan of the game and has certainly shown me and my son how to win, lose and compete with the upmost respect for the game of baseball!!!!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter