CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 20, 2009

LKL Blog Exclusive! Usher on the Inauguration

Posted: 10:29 AM ET

Grammy Award winning singer, songwriter Usher will be a guest on our midnight Larry King Live tonight.

Usher's commentary is an LKL Blog exclusive!

This Inauguration is one of the most important historic moments we have seen in American History. It reflects strength and unity.56264433

It's extremely important because I think we elected the right man for the job. I've been an admirer of Barack Obama since 2005 when my charity reached out to his office for help when we were researching education issues. And in 2007 I sat down with him to discuss some of the issues plaguing our Country.

I can say first hand that this is a man who has never changed – his answers then are the same answers now.

Getting him elected was just Step One, now it's up to all Americans to make sure "our" new President is successful. He was right when he said he couldn't do it alone, no one can.

President Obama won't be able to turn our country around without our support. That's why I'm challenging everyone to help our new President through service. Serve at your community food bank, serve at a hospital or homeless shelter...but we have to serve!

Filed under: Inauguration

Rosie   January 20th, 2009 10:56 am ET

I've been waiting for this election since the first time I was eligible to vote, 1972. Now I really feel American! Germany, where I've always lived (and countries around the world) also feel the excitement, appreciate what we're all about, not by being bulldozered into doing things "our" way, but by being respected for what "their" ways are, too.

Ken P   January 20th, 2009 11:34 am ET

Where oh where is Vice-presendent wanna be Palin. She really is showing what kind of classy lady is. I'm so gald she not the Vice -president. Unless there is death in her family, there is no reason for her not to show her respect and be there at the inauguration. Shame on her.

AnAmerican Voter   January 20th, 2009 11:55 am ET

OBAMA IS NOT BLACK – He is mixed – Caucasian Mother, African Father.
Stop fronting!!!!

Stanford Myers   January 20th, 2009 11:55 am ET

I think about the ladies comments yesterday about whether we are electing a king or president. First of all, that comments lets me know that she is not a supporter of president elect Obama. She is probably among those who hope that he fails, not realizing that if he fails, the country fails. Secondly, the people or joyous and hopeful. Why does she try to rain on their parade.

Madison C   January 20th, 2009 12:06 pm ET

I am very proud of President Obama! And I truly appreciate Mrs. Finestein's introduction!! So beautiful!!!!!

Madison C   January 20th, 2009 12:24 pm ET

President Obama stated 'they cynicts don't realize that the ground has shifted beneath their feet' - there is no room for injustice, and they don't realize that we are strong, our will is determined, and we will out-last you!! Speak, President Obama!!!! We are so proud of this day!!!

Sumit   January 20th, 2009 12:26 pm ET

Hi Larry, I want to appreciate and thank the american people to make a right decision. It is a big thank to elect and put the deserving people in the right place over all prejudices. I want from the deep of my heart God to give the same courage to the people of other nations to elect right people. I wish and hope Obama administration will be able to achieve beyond what they committed and what American people are looking and hoping from them.

Carol   January 20th, 2009 12:29 pm ET

Dear Larry;
I watch your show every night, and I wanted to comment on the Obama's events today, I was overwhelmed with pride for your nation, but I was saddened by only one thing , that he was not sworn in as President of the entire world, his outlook for the U.S. needs to be shared and practiced by all the world. Only the best wishes to all Americans.

Sincerely,

Carol
St.John's, Newfoundland, Canada

G. Kassie   January 20th, 2009 12:33 pm ET

I don't understand why the media depicts the President as African-American when he is just as much white as black. My children are interracial and I would not consider them one race over the other. To play the card as a black man denies his white heritage. To me, this is the first President in office that represents both races.

Byrlie Gray   January 20th, 2009 12:51 pm ET

This I wrote after 911 copying the theme of writer Otto Whittaker .I am 74 years old and an amateur poet. This goes along with the new presidents praise for this great nation.
My poem:
I AM THE NATION

I am the nation that mourned on that most fateful day, September 11, 2001 as the beloved skyline of New York City was forever changed. I am the Twin Towers that had cast their shade on the masses as they passed on their way to work. I am the brave firemen, policemen, and the common men and women that rushed to the aid of thousands brought down by the most unthinkable feat of evil known to man since I became a nation.
I am the mayor of that great city, walking the streets to comfort and console. I am the governor that pulled his state together. I am a President sounding the warning to the terrorist loud and clear. "We will hunt you down and destroy you."
I am the military at the ready to obey the command to deploy. I am the family of these men and women that will perform the duties that war demands of them. I am the fast flying airplane, the large tank, the weapons needed to hunt and destroy.
I am the church, synagogue, masque, and other places of worship. I am the people of many faiths and nationalities that bow their heads and hearts in prayer. I am the priest, rabbi, pastor and layman that spoke encouragement to each congregation.
I am the school children that wrote about the event in their History class, the media that spread the horrible news. I am the candle that burned, the flowers, the banners, and the flags that graced the many memorials held in honor of the thousands of innocent victims and their loved ones.

Yes, I am the nation, the nation that early one morning in the sunshine of a beautiful fall day, I dried the tears of the Eagle.

Written by Byrlie Gray 9/23/2001

Mary G. from Michigan   January 20th, 2009 1:02 pm ET

Let Freedom Ring !!

Darrell - Tx   January 20th, 2009 1:02 pm ET

The message was clear articulated:

Dreams, faith and a passion for CHANGE spoke to the message that "WE CAN", now personal responsibility, sacrifice, and unity over time will prove that "WE WILL"

travis canady   January 20th, 2009 1:27 pm ET

larry king how you doing??? hey i just want to say even though G.W. JR. AND CHEENEY...even though they went out on a bad economical problem, i still applaud the guys for there work.......obama;s got alot to handle.... the world seems as if its ready for a change, but iam wondering what kind of change is really going to take place??????

Aziz HANINE   January 20th, 2009 1:56 pm ET

The White House has always been only "white". But guess what! it can be black! It is now black!

J.K. Farr   January 20th, 2009 3:36 pm ET

1) Why were 2 different "bibles" ? used today between V.P. Biden's oath and Pres. Obama's oath? What were these "books" – one looked very old and historic (Biden) and one did not (Obama)?
2) Why were 2 completely different oaths used today between the V.P. and the Presendent? E.g. Wording of Biden's oath was to protect/defend from enemies outside and within ...and Obama's was just to protect/defend the nation (from what)?

Sumit   January 20th, 2009 5:25 pm ET

Hi Larry,
I think It is only the American People who should be appreciated If we need to cheer about anything for Mr Obama to be in the white house today. Obama has a great task ahead of himself to prove that the American People really made the right choice. Like there has been only one Abraham Lincoln in past. It is the action of a man who makes him great. So far the action was from the american voters.
I really want Obama to go beyond the expectations as the whole world is looking towards him and watching him. Well there is always spring after winter and there will only be good economy and good time after the troubled ones. We just want it soon!!.... 🙂

JRQ   January 20th, 2009 6:14 pm ET

Oh my God!!!! Allow me to watch a great parade and not listen to the incessant talking of the network commentators. Can't we just enjoy a good old fashion parade. Why can't you describe what the parade stands for, the particpants and lets listen to the production numbers they probably spent hundreds of hours practicing.
My God stop talking will you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie   January 20th, 2009 7:03 pm ET

We as Americans should take a moment to thank former President George W. Bush for his graciousness and kindness. I have been amazed at how many commentators, who would normally like to bash him, have had to comment how gracious he has been through this entire transition. It had to be hard for him to sit there, looking out at the amazing crowd, and hearing what a disaster our country is in. Yes, I too am suffering from loss of income, decrease and loss of retirement funds, but I and my children still live in as "safe" a country as he could give us. He faced so many obstacles, from the recount, 9/11, threats from enemies, and Biblical size natural disasters. I pray President Obama does not have to face these same obstacles with the same emergent need to resolve. Thank you, Mr. Bush, and welcome home to Dallas.

Lee in SC   January 20th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

Sometimes the moments you don’t expect are the ones that stand out in your memory. I was pleasantly surprised at the musical piece "Air and Simple Gifts" performed by the Quartet before the Presidential Oath. I could tell how cold they must have been, not wearing any coats, hats, or gloves. The moment was both poignant and optimistic. I guess I’m more impressed with the little things.

hugh ~ california   January 20th, 2009 10:42 pm ET

@AnAmerican Voter
I thought you were known previously as the "AnAmerican White Voter."

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain

Mary Ryan   January 21st, 2009 12:27 am ET

We need jobs greatly and our health insurance and perscriptions are killing us. This has been a wonderful day and gives so many hope that Obama will help the middle class. He has a wonderful team with him. We need to get our troops home to their families. Our future must get better.

christopher   January 21st, 2009 12:27 am ET

Yes, Larry! President Obama, if he has not already (and this I want to know) needs to read John Robbins 'The Food Revolution'. Have you read this book, Larry? Its a astounding and most timely book to read in regards to the future of our countrys land, economic, and public health. It needs to be resurfaced now and please help me do this. It should be offered in high schools.

Thanks Larry,
Thank you President Obama.

Shawneob   January 21st, 2009 12:31 am ET

As a Canadian I have to admit that I don't understand all the excitement over Obama being elected. He is just a man. The colour of his skin should not matter and should not be the focus, which I find very sad that it is. Canada is a country that's present Governor General (Canada's Head of State) is a black woman. The Governor General before her was a woman of asian descent. Canadians did not bat an eye at these two women holding Canada’s highest office. I believe politicians should be judged by the merit of their work, not the colour or their skin. It is sad that America is still stuck on the race issue and is why America lags behind the rest of the free world.

louis   January 21st, 2009 12:36 am ET

They say Peace starts in your heart, your home. This is where we begin to change the world and to begin to forgive, move on and serve your community, share with your neighborhood and be the Butterfly to make a difference. The butterfly flaps its delicate wings that move the air, the air moves and effects a leaf, grain of earth, and insect which respond to that and moves another part of the universe. This is the "Butterfly Effect". One little flap of the butterfly's wings changes the world. President Obama flapped his wings and we all need to join in and Fly!

Jaime Merrifield,Mesa AZ   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

thank you all CNN for the incredible coverage today and the crews to work so long;you were my ears and eyes today;wish I could have been there,but you were,with gratitude Jaime Merrifield

Ted Benbow   January 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

The 3 Priorities for America under Obama:

1) Education
2) EDUCATION
3) E!D!U!C!A!T!I!O!N!!!!!!!!!

Senequa Holloway   January 21st, 2009 12:52 am ET

I almost forgot. I'm sleepy and everyone knows thinking clearly is hard to do. Please put healthcare as a priority. Especially dental care.

Ana   January 21st, 2009 12:57 am ET

Did anyone see Condoleezza Rice anywhere through out the ceremony or when the Bush cabinet departed? Did I miss her or she wasn't there at all?

Reisa   January 21st, 2009 1:06 am ET

omg usher is sooo cute, as usual... but anyways, today (well yesterday) was a great day in history. finally an african american president, this is such a great accomplishment. and i just want to tell "AnAmerican Voter", his father is african and his mother is american. when you put these 2 words together, what do you get? and we shouldn't even be focusing on his ethnicity. whats important is that he is our new president and he is willing and ready to make a change in this country.

Pauline Chandarpaul   January 21st, 2009 1:10 am ET

I had no doubt that this man, his voice, his message, his delivery would be a profound one. I was moved by his strength demonstrated today and although he spoke much of America and the change he challenges them to embrace, as a Canadian I felt his charge his surge of energy and was inspired to do more than what I believed to be my best. Its time, we asked, we received. He is confident he can make the change and I want to take my place from a distant to be an ambassador of the same. Today is a new beginning, today we start over all over again, today steers our tomorrow and I believe the world has firmly gripped the wheels that will keep us on a forward path. God Bless you Mr.Obama, may god be your guiding light.

Eddie Norman   January 21st, 2009 1:10 am ET

My the Blessings of God rest upon the head of President Obama. All that has the name Obama in their head on a positive note must sed up prayers the the Most High for the President to execute pure-heart judgment for the people of America and the world, it is a long road ahead and a bumpy one as well. Let the saying "Yes We Can" become real. My God Bless and guide us through the future with the power of God.

IY   January 21st, 2009 1:11 am ET

Great Job CNN and Larry!!

and God's Grace to the Obama's and All the U.S. .....

You are the best non-biassed news program I know. Please keep up the Great Work, don't let big money giants buy your voices or thoughts.

I feel and believe Obama might be the answer we have needed for a long time. He has a certain presence about him.
I wish him God's Grace and protection so he can carry and spread to all... the message of service he spoke about today.

He can be a very positive example to a lot of people showing how being of service to All our fellow Americans and others will bring us together as one, rich or poor, pink or yellow, short or tall, young or old .
A long overdue state of the nation.

Thanks for the chance to express how we deeply feel.

Nezer

Cincinnati, OH

Anitra Craig   January 21st, 2009 4:21 am ET

Greetings to all. First all blessings to President Barack Obama, the First Lady and their beautiful girls.
This day for Afro-Americans has been a looong time in coming. I am proud to have witnessed this moment in history. As I sat with my grandmother (94 yrs yng) watching Barack getting sworn in she shed a few tears... you c my gradma was there marching with Dr. Martin Luther King, she expirenced racisim as a mixed person herself, lived thru segregation and other in equalities as a black person... so she is blessed to live and expirence all that this day have to offer. This day in time it is not just Barack Obama becoming the first black president but Afro Americans getting to the promise land like we so dreamed 46 years ago

Thank you Anitra Craig-Queens New York

proud 2 b an american   January 21st, 2009 4:44 am ET

400 years ago black folks had a dream, today in 2009 that dream has came to pass with President Obama. Let us help him 2 achieve wat needs 2 b done.

Anitra   January 21st, 2009 4:54 am ET

ECONOMY/JOBS
HEALTHCARe
EDUCATION
BRING HOME THE TROOPS
Stop the war
And just b the best President you can possibly b

With the lord as his guiding light I know Mr. Obama will do just fine. Keep god first and just know YES WE CAN CAUSE YES HE WILL!!!!

Huda Syyed   January 21st, 2009 5:34 am ET

Being a muslim, I feel like there's a new ray of hope for the whole world as Barack Obama is the most powerful man in the world.

It's definitely going to be a relief after the Bush regime, and Obama carries a new air....an air of hope.

Im glad that Obama is the president of the USA!

jane   January 21st, 2009 5:57 am ET

u r soooooooo rite Usher, soooooooooooooo rite. UP OBAMA.

Ini Daniel Udoh   January 21st, 2009 6:04 am ET

The Obama Spirit is already flowing in Nigeria; I have caught it and would be Nigeria's President someday.

Musoro Zebs Jammbe   January 21st, 2009 6:25 am ET

Obama’s charisma has left millions of people around the world with no choice than to love him. Americans have made history via his election as president. Good enough everyone is aware of the “GREAT TASKS” ahead which l believe can be met with time, through the cumulative effort of EVERY American. My sincere prayer is to see Obama and his team succeed in lifting the image of America and to make the world a better place.

sandra Nnakwue   January 21st, 2009 6:58 am ET

president Obama has spoken very well indeed and he means well but Americans have to know that the decisions before him as the president are enormous.I believe that a lot of them are excited because he is black while others are excited because they feel he is a messiah but i put it to eveery one that Obama is just as human as Bush and has a lot of american issues to deal with and he knows. he is telling everyone subtitly that there is work to do and every hand must be on deck.
Americans must also face life squarely because we cannot just live expecting someone else to make life's tough decisions for us. life is not liberal and so human natural values cannot be religated no matter how hard we try.
thank you.
Sandra
Nigeria.

Gole Daleni   January 21st, 2009 10:55 am ET

OMG! Usher i love him so much. And i really think Obama is going to be a great president. most of the people over here in Sweden are glad that Obama is Mr President.

PETER LOBO   January 21st, 2009 11:42 am ET

In the Historic moment of this inauguration why was the National Anthem not sung, what happened
The President whilst making history in his inaugural address forgot to address and refer to the Past Presidents who were all on stage with him and he also forgot to address the other eminent persons who were present on stage which probably speaks volumes about him and his Havard IVY league background.

Nichole   January 21st, 2009 1:43 pm ET

Hello fellow Americans!
I loved what Usher said at the neighbor Ball with Larry King. He made some great points. I would like to quote him properly. Could I see that video again.
Many Blessings, Nichole
Miller Beach,IN 40 min to Chicago

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter