CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 20, 2009

LIVE BLOGGING TONIGHT – From The Feeding America/RIAA Inaugural Ball

Posted: 11:06 PM ET

Our Blog correspondent, David Theall, is live-blogging tonight from the Feeding America /RIAA Presidential Inauguration Charity Ball in Washington, D.C.! theall-huff-post-2 Multi-platinum, Grammy Award-winning singer Rihanna headlines the event and David Arquette and Courteney Cox will be there too!  Ben Affleck and others may be attending also.  We'll update you on all we see tonight during our live blog session AND with live reports on "Larry King Live," airing tonight at MIDNIGHT, Eastern.  It's a special Inaugural edition of "Larry King Live" and Larry's blog!

Tonight Geoff Doner, also with "Larry King Live," manages to get out of the office and travel to the ball with David and he'll help with the live blogging!

Don't forget to tell us what YOU would put on Pres. Obama's "TO DO" list!  MORE HERE!!

To donate or to learn more about Feeding America, please visit: www.FeedingAmerica.org

11:09p.m. EASTERN: Hi folks! Geoff here, typing ... while David gets the latest scoop.

11:10p.m.: Shakira is here!  CNN got the interview as she exited the red carpet.  She's as gorgeous in real life as she is in pictures!!  Her hips ain't lying ... just sayin'.

11:12p.m.: Rihanna is 12 feet tall!!  Okay, not 12 feet ... but seriously, she LOOKS 12 feet tall in the heels she is wearing.  She's headlining the Charity Ball later.  Boy, is she beautiful!

11:15p.m.: AC360's Kay Jones producer extraordinaire is sharing our interview space with us.  Kay's based in N.Y. but in D.C. for the inaugural events.

11:17p.m.: Josh Groban JUST hit the red carpet.  Paparazzi getting their shots.  We expect him shortly in CNN's exclusive interview room-where we've stolen a couch on which we're live blogging.

11:22p.m.: Groban just entered our hub.  He's in a peaked lapel tuxedo with the shiniest shoes we've seen yet!

11:23p.m.: Shhh ... ABC's Deborah Roberts just sat down on our couch.  We'll tell you if she tries to sneak a peak at the screen to see what we are doing.

11:27p.m.: STANDBY FOLKS! This just in ... this place just may be wall-to-wall CE-LE-BRITY.  If the names we are hearing actually make it through D.C.'s gridlocked traffic, then this will DEFINITELY be the celebrity hotspot of the inaugural parties!

11:34p.m.: Russell Simmons just snuck in from the red carpet and is quickly making his way towards the main floor.

11:41p.m.: The "King of the World" Leo DiCaprio just made an unassuming entrance and quick exit into a V.I.P. area.  If Leo is here ... what other A-list celebs could be lurking?

11:43p.m.: Brandon, that Superman guy just walked in.  He's taller than we expected.  (Sorry, Brandon Superman dude – we're going to look up your last name. )

11:45p.m.: Brandon Routh.

11:46p.m: By the way, for our Leo update ... we forgot to mention that Josh Groban was quietly walking behind Leo and exited into the same VIP area.

11:47p.m.: We're moving the blog operation to the red carpet - just to change things up!  (Shhh... we have to ask Deborah Roberts who is sitting on our power cord, on our couch ... to get up! Wish us luck.)

11:53p.m.: Made the switch successfully - we're blogging from the red carpet!  While we're happy we made the switch, we are not so thrilled about the 20 degree drop in temperature.

11:57p.m.: CHER sighting!  'Nough said.  Cher is a good friend of Larry King Live and has been on many times before.

12:11a.m.: Welcome to the live show! Larry's broadcasting from the CNN bureau in Washington, D.C. for a special inaugural edition of Larry King Live.

12:12a.m.: Back to Cher! She lingered on the red carpet giving the gathered media what they wanted.  She talked about the inauguration and her hope for the Obama administration and she also made a few cutting remarks about Republicans.

12:15a.m.: We don't know who VH1 has on the red carpet, but we are thinking she is not from D.C. Why?  Because we've never seen anyone dressed quite like her IN D.C.  But we are sure she is a very nice lady and warmer than us.  Just sayin'.

12:27a.m.: David's preparing to go live with the blog!

12:38a.m.: David's chatting with David Arquette - you'll see them on air shortly!

12:48a.m.: David and Courteney Cox Arquette are about to speak with Larry any second! They are back on the red carpet for us!

12:50a.m.: The Arquettes look lovely together.   David is chairman of Feeding America's Entertainment Council.  To learn more about "Feeding America" check out the link above.

12:52a.m.: Speaking of the inauguration and President Obama, the Arquettes are sensing a "change of consciousness" in Americans.

12:55a.m.: Kanye West rolled in on the red carpet with the largest entourage we've seen this inauguration and also sported white shades.

12:58a.m.: Chic's "Good Times" remix is blasting from the crowded dance floor inside the event and the D.J. is a fan of scratches.  He's old schooling it!

1:00a.m.:  Larry's live show is over.  Folks, thanks for joining us at the star-studded Feeding America/RIAA Charity Ball.  This is Geoff and David signing out!

Filed under: Inauguration • Live Blogging

John Sparacio   January 20th, 2009 11:29 pm ET

No disrespect but that has to be one of the most awful dresses I have ever seen. It resembles either a bedspread or a down filled pillow exploded. Next time consult me.

Kytia   January 20th, 2009 11:37 pm ET

At this point in time, who cares what FIRST LADY Obama was wearing? That is so irrelevant!!
Instead, let go and bask in this glorious, historical celebration.
The optimistist will see the importance of the day, versus the pessimist who will focus on unimportant details.
My grandmother always told me, "it's not what's on the outside that counts, but what's on the inside."
Joy, joy, joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archie Loretta Coleman   January 20th, 2009 11:44 pm ET

What happen to President Obama's Grandmother from Kenya? I felt
sure she would be there today?

Archie Loretta Coleman   January 20th, 2009 11:47 pm ET

I think her dress is beautiful and she wears it very well!!

hugh ~ california   January 20th, 2009 11:52 pm ET

Kuddo's to Kytia! And I think Michelle looked beautiful.
Blackwell is dead. His claim to fame was cutting down women for what they wore; I always hated that. We don't need another one.

PamM   January 20th, 2009 11:53 pm ET

Regarding Michelle Obama's fashion:

My part Native American grandmother taught me that fashion should be intentional, especially when it comes to the symbology of color.

I noticed that in Denver, she and the girls wore black and red – colors that represent our 2 most oppressed populations.

At the Lincoln Memorial concert, she wore black and tan - colors that not only represent she and her husband but much of our nation and the world.

Today, she wore maize yellow, accented by green - representing our Asian citizens and again, much of the world as well as growth and the environment. The colors worn by her girls completed the rainbow, representing all people, all genders, all walks of life.

Tonight she wore white - a color that represents the establishment of the western world and a color that represents new beginnings and one that reflects all other colors.

Call me crazy, but I don't think this is by accident. If it is, it is a most happy one!

I am simply glad that this is no longer a country that belongs just to "old white men", but to all of us.

Joyfully, an "old white-ish woman".

God bless all Americans of every color!

Pamela M, Seattle, WA

Gregory Stoughton WI   January 21st, 2009 12:01 am ET

With this historic day of this great man to bring what our forefathers gave us a simple but true working government President Obama brings back to us all of us what was meant for us a government for the people by the people but all of us must work with government as well as government working for us as well as working with the world for a better man kind.

hugh ~ california   January 21st, 2009 12:02 am ET

Don't alarm me, for a second there I was thinking it was Richard Simmons! 😯

Gregory Stoughton WI   January 21st, 2009 12:04 am ET

As President Obama Inaugural Speech reflected the hope he has given us but need for change but the only way that change can come about is if we as all Americans work as one to join together embrace all things that are need to make the changes that government can not do it alone that government will change but we as people must change too for all of America to have this hard change to come about that we can not go on as it has been but must work with each other now, tomorrow , and for years to come.

hugh ~ california   January 21st, 2009 12:06 am ET

11:57p.m.: CHER sighting!
Are you positive it was CHER, or just a drag-queen impersonator!

Syed   January 21st, 2009 12:11 am ET

I am a physician and a legal alien in the US, but today I felt that I was part of this great moment. It was overwhelming. I now look forward to the day when I can proudly say that I am a citizen of the United States of America.

jacob   January 21st, 2009 12:11 am ET

Larry, please tell your guest Jeff Johnson that there is ONE National Anthem only! No such thing as a Negro National Anthem as he just said. I guess he is showing his education (or lack of it).

Maya   January 21st, 2009 12:13 am ET

I would just like to say that Michelle loved BEAUTIFUL!

However, this night is not about fashion...
This night is not only about the first African American President...
This night is about a man who has given this country hope again, this night is about a man that has given people the drive to go out and do something for this country and for each other...

Being from Illinois, I have seen President Obama speak years ago when almost noone knew who Barack Obama is...
I remember listening to him speak and I thought to myself...
that THIS MAN will do something huge for us one day...this man will not stop until his voice is heard

I am very excited to see what these next 4 years will bring for the United States and what we, as citizens of the USA, will do in order to help each other and help our beloved country!

isaac   January 21st, 2009 12:18 am ET

this felt like the begining of a realy good movie that you would hope to last for a long time,,,,, thankfully this is real and no imagination

MARIE   January 21st, 2009 12:19 am ET

Can you reply the whole benediction?

Akenabah Begay   January 21st, 2009 12:20 am ET

I believe President Obama should release Leonard Peltier for prison as a presidential pardon.

Mike Ziegel   January 21st, 2009 12:20 am ET

President Obama gave an inspirational, yet realistic inaugural speech today. I am truly inspired that while it will take some time to "right" our nation, President Obama is the right man for the job.

Mike Ziegel
Saratoga, Ca

Diane Labrecque   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

DIANA was THE PEOPLE PRINCESS

OBAMA is THE PEOPLE PRESIDENT !

Robert Federico   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Has anybody studied the importance of Bill Cosby's Huxtable Family in introducing white Americans to intelligent, upper middle class black Americans which, I believe, made today possible.

Ben Gruen   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Word on the streets in suburbia is 'YEAH, BLACK PRESIDENT!!!'

Jim   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Immigration reform....including UAFA (uniting american families act) which would allow gay and lesbian bi-national couples sponsor a forgein partner for Immigration rights, which are permitted to heterosexual couples

Deni   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Seriously who cares about the celebrities at this point. OBAMA IS IN OFFICE!!!!!!!!!! Forget the who's- who of the red carpet's and forget the fashion! This is history and let's all sit back and enjoy this honorary day! The NEW First Family is here and life is just beginning to get greater that it was yesterday! God Bless the First Family and as President Barack Obama would say, "God Bless the United States of America".

Matt from Iowa   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Today I can finally smile. President Obama has made this country close again. I wish him the best and cannot wait to see how future unfolds.

I like many others updated my facebook status throughout the day. The following is one.

"today we are the blueprint of what our country can look tomorrow"

Thanks,

Matt

Anne Naesse   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Hi Larry,
I am still awake haven't slept. I am in Norway watching this amazing day. I felt pride and joy when President Obama was sworn in. My sister is in Washington D.C. and got to see it live. My friends in Norway support Obama. Your guests are awesome and say hello.

Junie   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Larry: Change has already started. The creation of the service movement will motivate people and business which will generate possitive upward swing in the economy. President Obama must end the most expensive war of the world and invest that money spent monthly back into the United States and into the service movement that will sweep accross the world.

Jude   January 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

The day When Barack Obama was elected, the first thing that crossed my mind was, Martin Luther King must be turning in his tomb and hoped that his Dream will be accomplished by this man.

Danny C - Louisville, KY   January 21st, 2009 12:23 am ET

It's moving to see a president elected that motivates so many young people. The next generation of our country will be so much more engaged with the political process of this incredible country.

caroline   January 21st, 2009 12:23 am ET

I read on the internet , "Bush pardons Osama Bin Laden", by the huffington post

lynn - az   January 21st, 2009 12:23 am ET

I don't understand why everyone has to bash Mr. Bush. (Ms. Huufington just did on the show). It's over, he is gone. Get the message folks, Look forward – not back. Isn't that the message from President Obama? I'm no fan of 43, he did not get my vote in '04, but enough is enough. He did the job he was asked to do and now it is time for change.

Jacob Kole   January 21st, 2009 12:23 am ET

I feel the President Obama should start getting our troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan. I served in the military before the Iraq and Afghanistan war, and I feel our troops must come home.

Margot   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

A few moments ago was the second time I had the pleasure of listening to Larry's guest, Jeff Johnson. Both times I've missed his introductions, but where did you get him? He's great. His answers are thoughtful, intelligent, well-articulated. Many of Larry's guests exhibit these qualities, of course, but somehow he stands out. Where ever you found him, don't let him go back.

Lester   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

Larry, I would like to know how do you feel about an Obama dollar and how would it affect the economy?

hugh ~ california   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

@jacob: Wrong! Jeff Johnson is right. I guess you just showed us your lack of insight and knowledge.

The Negro National Anthem
"Lift Every Voice and Sing"
by James Weldon Johnson
Originally written by Johnson for a presentation in celebration of the birthday of Abraham Lincoln. This was originally performed in Jacksonville, Florida, by children. The popular title for this work is:
'THE NEGRO NATIONAL ANTHEM'
Lift every voice and sing
Till earth and heaven ring,
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the listening skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us,
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
Bitter the chastening rod,
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
Yet with a steady beat,
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears have been watered,
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
Out from the gloomy past,
Till now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way;
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light,
Keep us forever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, Our God, where we met Thee;
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee;
Shadowed beneath Thy hand,
May we forever stand.
True to our GOD,
True to our native land
James Weldon Johnson June 17, 1871 – June 26, 1938

Maxed   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

I think the next order of business should be to suspend the foreclosures, and get a handle on what is really causing them. I agree that many purchased homes that they could not afford, but i also see that many of the foreclosures are fabricated defaults to take advantage of not so educated people who lack the resources to defend themselves. Loan companies create defaults that do not exist so that the government can pay off the fha insured homes.

William Greene   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

Damon Keith is a noted civil rights attorney who resides in Detroit. He was the primary counsel for many of the most important civil rights cases in Michigan and the mid-west. He is one of the most respected jurist of this era.

Please note this such that he will not be passed over as just another spectator.

Gregg A.   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

From the perspective of my "the big picture", today has been the happiest and most hopeful day I have experienced in eight years.

The Bush ideology is gone. We have a new president. And if one believes in the possibilities of the goodness of humanity, and believes that this individual belief coalesces with all those who hold true to this same belief, and that this greater collective desire for good is desirous enough to enable itself to recognize a particular individual who inspires and reflects this collective belief, and chooses to endow this individual with the power to manifest it, I am happy.

Congratulations President Obama.

Congratulations America

Paul Hennessey   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

I hope President Obama diverts the funds that are currently being used in Chemtrail Spraying in our skies over America to a more economical use in helping straighten out our economy. It's probably close to a trillion dollars a year that is being spent in that covert activity going on. Of course, I don't really expect you to mention this on the air, but if you do, it will probably be in a jokingly manner.

Maya   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

I am being realistic and I believe that if there is someone out there to finally stand up for this country...it is President Omaha.

And instead of blogging smart comments like that, why dont you stand up for yourself and for this country and be proud of what we have accomplished today!

Ty Moore   January 21st, 2009 12:24 am ET

I believe one thing that the president should re-establish immediately is prayer in the public school systems the way it used to be in times of old. Prayer and faith in God brought us this far as a people and country and it will be the sustainment that carries us further. It is greatly needed. Once prayer is put back into place, it will no doubt further fuel the expected "change" centered around this new era.

rosalie di noto   January 21st, 2009 12:26 am ET

Question, Mr. King:

I'm very happy for Barack Obama, he seems very positive and promising. My hopes are that he will address the issues here
in the U.S. Making seniors and medical insurance a priority cause
we are sinking in bills. Medicare is not as helpful as it could be
and social security is a big let down for people who have worked
over 40 years. Help is needed desperately !!

Nastassia   January 21st, 2009 12:26 am ET

Hi

Am from Canada and we love Obama ....all the way

Lester   January 21st, 2009 12:26 am ET

Larry, I would like to know your and your guest' opinion on a President Obama Dollar and how would it affect the economy.

genaro perez jr   January 21st, 2009 12:27 am ET

hello my name is spc perez im serving a 15 deployment in iraq but currently on R@R leave in my hometown in Belvidere, Il and been watching all the events on cnn. Today I felt very proud to be serving in the military on this historic event and lookin foward to be serving for President Obama.

Eamonn Sullivan   January 21st, 2009 12:27 am ET

The most pressing issue that President Obama needs to address is his stance on the ongoing conflict in Israel. He has made it a point to keep his distance on this subject to this point, but starting tomorrow, the honeymoon is over and the world needs to know how the new administration will proceed.

rick   January 21st, 2009 12:27 am ET

I have awaited my whole life for the abililty to speak for who i am as well as who we all are, i am nothing more than a single voice that has heard promises in the past, yet this time it seems like this voice has roots that expand as far as timelines we have heard in the past, my voice is nothing more than just a hope for the future, this president means the ability to dream, the ability to hope once again, my grandfather spoke of him even before he knew him, i'm but a voice of the people, but a voice of humanity, this man has much ahead of him, yet we all hope that his courage wlll prevail above all doubts and that one day we will succeed.

Tyson Ennis   January 21st, 2009 12:28 am ET

I am Costa Rican and as a citizen of this country I can say that I am very privileged to live where democracy reigns, but that alone is not enough, we live in a world that is far more complicated than we can even imagine and why it is important for all of us to realize that Barack Obama is not only the leader of the United States, he is now the leader of the world. We look up to Mr. Obama and hope that other presidents and prime ministers around the globe learn from him and help to resolve the crisis that we are living in. We must be optimistic and back President Obama no matter wherever we are from.

Dorby   January 21st, 2009 12:28 am ET

To day was a pecial day. The world say itself, except for the fact that a smooth transition of its leaders. Thetrue reason of a smooth transition rests with what our new president has said all along. " There is only one leader at a time." Such a statement resonates a deep form of commitment. Commitment to wait your turn, commitment to reason as to what move best fit the occassion, and how best to conclude.
This lesson of faith is the new strength of America.

karenine   January 21st, 2009 12:28 am ET

Hi Larry,
Of course I am happy about all this moment, but most of all I am very happy that you are part of this historic moment. I am 30 years old and I ve been watching you for years. I am very, very happy that you are still around and most of all on air to witness this great part of this country's history!

Sincerely,
Karenine

Paul Delvaux   January 21st, 2009 12:28 am ET

I think President Obama is what this country needs to "get back to basics".
I would also like to know where I could send a "gift" to our new president so he will actually Receive it, can you help me?
Keep up the good work Mr. King.

Sincerely,
Paul Delvaux

FrankMoore   January 21st, 2009 12:28 am ET

Because the president has families in Africa and Asia, the secreet service has an ardous task of protecting the presidents and his family in three contents. What are we doing to ensure that the United States is not blackmailed in the future by terrorists who may go after the president's relarives in Africa and Asian? I seldom see or hear any body speak or report about this. I was in Africa in December and the Obama's relatives in Kenya were been over-exposed by the African and European media. It scares me.

Larry Von Wilcher   January 21st, 2009 12:29 am ET

Since the President has taken the oath of Office, Why are the news Anchors not giving them the respect of calling them "President and Mrs Oboma"Instead of The Obomas"
Is there some reason for not addressing them in this manner
As I have continued to look at cnn,the anchors are still calling George Bush, President Bush But are not using the title for the person that it rightfully belongs to.

Lee   January 21st, 2009 12:29 am ET

I think its time to start thinking about Bin Laden again before he thinks up another diabolical plot to terrorize America. If we know where hes at why don't we just bomb the area.

Matt from Iowa   January 21st, 2009 12:29 am ET

I am so proud to live in this country.

The one thing I do not understand is why we need to keep discussing race. We all know it was wrong and sinful. However, I cannot see why todays people want us to apologize for what generations of people before us have done. I think we are focusing on the wrong focal points. Let's get past this and move forward. Our country can do better. President Obama can truly lead us. We just need to believe and have faith.

Ken Hanson   January 21st, 2009 12:29 am ET

Although i am Canadian i do see alot of American news broadcasts, including CNN. The one fundamental change that sticks out to me is that hope has replaced the fear that seemed to be the dominant emotion portrayed in alot of American news. And it is heartening! Congratulations on your new chapter of history in the making.

Jude   January 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

I'm so happy to see that my instincts that day and that the Dream was accomplished today... i have tears coming down my chicks as i'm writing this,,,

memf   January 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

A U.S. president that can become a U.N. president

There are moments in the history of mankind that provide opportunities for great changes and big jumps towards perfection of life. Any substantial change necessary for launching social changes and cultural revolutions requires peoples` full participation in the process of change. Gaining public support for such changes is not always an easy task for men of culture and politics
The recent American election in which Americans shouted their voices for change and elected a president who has promised to do so has turned out to be quite different from any other election . Had Americans voted differently, the resulting atmosphere would have been quite different, and would`ve heightened the prevailing tension among feelings of men and women of not only America but those of the worlds` population.
It just happened that in this election it was not only the Americans who were casting their votes but the whole world had their eyes and minds on it .Had people of the world been asked to vote in this election, they would have undoubtedly voted for Barak Obama with even more overwhelming majority . For the people of the world had felt the negativity of existing American policies more deeply than the Americans themselves .
although there has long been a perception that American politics is set beyond the public eyes, still this election has brought about a lot of hope among all nations, and as it was heard to be said it was the death of apathy .this is a rare opportunity that if seized and taken responsibly by politicians and men of word and culture in America and the rest of the world, it carries the momentum that can reform the world relationships and unite the nations towards managing the world in such a way that benefits humanity in all its aspects .
Undoubtedly those who wrongly believe that their interests lie in the war of ideologies and military confrontations will try to change this mood .But if wise people of America and the world value this opportunity and initiate struggles for world unity , there is the possibility that the above mentioned claim come to reality . And in future the whole nations of the world go to the poles together and elect their bests.

Leonard Cordova   January 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

Mr. Larry King,
I would like to know what President Obama plans to do with the next $350 BILLION. I would like for him to stabilize the housing market. I would also like to see a plan to create jobs in the private sector.

Axel Cardona   January 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

Larry please comment on this part of the speech- And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.

Chris   January 21st, 2009 12:31 am ET

I am a single parent of four and to be in the capital today and with my kids to see history brought teers to my eyes and my 14 yr old daughter
asked me why I am crying and I told her that your futer and the dream of a man named King began today.

Carole Stone-Oks   January 21st, 2009 12:31 am ET

Larry

Soo may cirtical issues are facing Obama that it will be difficult for Education to get the focus of attention that Education needs. A couple of mistakes are already on the agenda. Putting the focus on early education, leaves behind every child that is currently in school. Also,early ed focuses providing so called "literacy skills." Children who demonstrate any problem with articulation are incorretly referred for testing and potentially providing service (from special education) to recitfy that problem These problems are soo frequently development atypicalites that children will outgrow. Second, teacher training is much to broad a directive, especially for Arne Duncan who brings his competitive sports mindset to the NCLB initiative. Arne Duncan's Chicage website is a frighteningly competitive display of figures that pits school against school and child against child. The competitive approach to education that NCLB formulates is ruining the chance for children to learn and have the chance to find the seire to learn independently; all those things that Obama claims will change the direction of this country. Arne Duncan was a terrible choice for Sec'y of education. He will continue the midset of cutthroat competition thtat squashes a child's desire to learn while emphazing a child's desire to get ahead. What does this remind you of? Perhaps the well- educated scoundrels that have ruined our contry on wall street. I wish Duncan would call me. He needs help from a real educator.

Carole, School Psychologist in Cambridge , MA
p.s. please excuse spelliing errors, I'm trying to get this in quickly

Carrie Salter   January 21st, 2009 12:31 am ET

Hi Larry & Guest,
Just wanted to comment on what I believe should be at the top of President Obama's list of priorities. Bringing our troops home!!! My brother, Lamont Brown has just been redeployed and is in California for the next six weeks before leaving to honor those orders.
There are those that don't return alive, those that return wounded, and those that return with scars not visible to the eye. None of them return the same, and with that, the families aren't the same. This war has to end!!!
Please tell Mr. Will.I.am. that my family and I are on youtube also, in support of Barack Obama. Check it out, under Carrie Salter from Lexington, KY. My brother is featured on this video also.
Love yawhl!!!
GO BARACK!!!!

TF   January 21st, 2009 12:32 am ET

It has been a historical day for America. We can only hope that all political parties will put aside all personal agendas and work toward making America strong again. The American public is suffering enough economic strife from the greed of many and it is time for change. One of the first things to change should be regulating oil companies and their greed with inflated fuel prices as evidenced by their ongoing record profits. For instance, the cost of oil is down to a new low this week yet fuel costs have not dropped. As for fashion, the garments Mrs. Obama chose to wear today were elegant and tasteful. Also the choice of designers and the cost is encouraging to many Americans that shows fiscal responsibility as compared to the major name designers she could have chosen. Hats off to her!

Daniel   January 21st, 2009 12:33 am ET

I have a cousin who was brought to this country following his parents at 10 years of age. He did not have a choice to come here because he was so young. He was raised here, has been living here for 11 years and considers himself American. He is 21 years old and since he is not a citizen he cannot go to school or get a job even though he is an exceptional student. After being forced to drop out of college his second year, he tried to join the army but is prohibited from doing so because of his status. His dream was to make a difference in this country. We have thought of adopting him to legalize him but that is an illegal process we cannot afford to risk. I feel bad that he is a victim of great injustice and limitations placed by the government. He is currently in the legalization process, and pays taxes but has no rights as a citizen. Without a choice his future has been put on hold. What do you think Obama will do to legalize people in his situation? Do you think the American Dream Act will be passed?

Please respond!! I know there are millions of people that are in his situation. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Heather   January 21st, 2009 12:33 am ET

Dear Larry and Guests,

I am a legal alien of the US, married to an American serving in the US Navy . We are currently stationed in and are watching you live from Hong Kong! We stayed up past 2am local time to watch the 44th President sworn in and continue to watch CNN today so that we may feel a part of the momentum and celebration sweeping the nation. Thank you for the extensive and informative coverage CNN – you've enabled those of us overseas to be a part of history! Congratulations America on entering a new and courageous chapter in your history!

maria Ferguson   January 21st, 2009 12:34 am ET

Hey Larry I'm From the bahamas and watching the Inauguration today made me so optimistic about my future as a black person. I feel that this is an historical day that will forever be remembered in the hearts of many. Not only do i feel that change has come to America but during our time of recession in the Bahamas , I feel that change has come to us as well.

Emilie Moiket, Cebu City, Philippines   January 21st, 2009 12:34 am ET

I watched Pres. Obama's Inauguration till morning, it started at 11:30 p.m. here in the Philippines, and I can't help but be exhilaratingly happy. I just hope all of America cooperate and not just wait in queue in Social Services dole outs. The First Lady, Michelle is just being herself, without makijng fuss with frills and posh. What she wears represents herself, cheerful, sunny hopeful manifested with the colors she used this important day of America and the world. I admire Mr. and Mrs. Obama's relationship, comfortable, supportive of each other. They're great!

Rich   January 21st, 2009 12:34 am ET

The Obama's are such a terrific couple.....and their daughters are adourable......I am so proud we elected them as our new "First Family"........What were the Republican's thinking nominating John McCain?? He didn't stand a chance.....I hope the Obam's continue to bring their vitality to inspire Americans to work on the enormous challenges facing our country!

Aldony   January 21st, 2009 12:35 am ET

The ascension of Obama to the power goes over the the borders of the USA. It's not only part of American history, it can be claimed as a part of universal history. Everyone, regardless of your race and your citizenship, your religion and your political convictions. If we must give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, we must give to America what belongs to America! This is a land of opportunity and freedom. A place where anything is possible if you have the belief and the hope. Hope is very audacious. I'm from Haiti and have studied law. I've always had a passion for politics because i believe that the haitian people deserves a different style of politics. But, no other politician has inspired me as much as Barack has. Congratulations Barack Obama! Viva America!

Herb Celler   January 21st, 2009 12:35 am ET

Larry Hi,
If any Presidential order could be given I would like to see all Civil Rights returned to People with old time arrest record 25 years or older of none repeat offenders. These people today also are a part of our system. Paying taxes,helping others.and giving back.But yet many wrongful convictions or reformed people, or people that even marched in the civil rights movements back in Sixties or Seventies,are not entitled to the same equilities. Its time for change.God Bless our President and our Nation Peace on earth

william waters   January 21st, 2009 12:36 am ET

I believe in obamma, i think he will do great 4 the american people but, i do dis agree with usher's voice on your show, first of all he mentioned slavery, and to me that just sounded, like he still feels like the white man is keeping him down. i am very pleased we ahve a change, in the white house mabee it will send a message to all americans, we are all one race. americans, thats it..

Elsie Rosado   January 21st, 2009 12:36 am ET

I watched all day long, and right now I am watching some of the Balls, they are attending. I am full of pride and honor for my fellow Americans, what a beautiful sight that must have been for Barack looking out on that mass of people, all colors and creeds, and so well behaved. My only downer was that Barack’s Mom was not mentioned at all, he mentioned his dad, but not his Mom, I feel that as a mom myself, she should have been mentioned and also his grandma. Yes, he is an African American, but he also has his
Caucasian side and that should have been up there also.

Louis Verrijt   January 21st, 2009 12:37 am ET

Thank god you saw the light America, it's time to change.
We look at a better future now, congratulations to all of America ,again you showed us everything is possible.
Love and greetings from Holland

Nam(South Korea,Busan)   January 21st, 2009 12:37 am ET

I think North Korea is one of "TO DO" list.

Delicate problem.

Yogesh Vahal   January 21st, 2009 12:38 am ET

Larry, I want to point out another technical/legal faux pas made by Justice Roberts at the inaugration. Roberts' opening line BEFORE the oath administration was inappropriate when he addressed the new President as SENATOR.

It was AFTER 12 Noon Eastern Time when Roberts started administrating the oath when Obama had already become the President per the constitution!

Justice Roberts, the chief custodian of the constitutional law, should have known better than to address President Obama as “SENATOR” at that point in time! Roberts’ opening line was “Senator, are you… ready…to take the oath?”

Therefore there were two major blunders made by a nervous Roberts during the inauguration, not just the one being discussed.

I am guessing that this incidence will be joked about and analyzed for many years to come at law schools around the world, especially in the US.

Alberto   January 21st, 2009 12:39 am ET

The First Lady's Yellow dress to represent the color of the year.... yellow mimosa
🙂 thanks

patty washington   January 21st, 2009 12:39 am ET

As an American whose ancestory is directly related to the founding father of this country, George Washington, I have always had a great love for America and a great sense of patriotism. I have been blessed by my community and have had the unique opportunity to serve my country not only in the armed forces,but as a nurse yet I became dissillusioned by the corruption and greed that strangulated our very souls.I left this country disheartened in search of a greater meaning to this life, knowing all along that there was a greater calling not only as an individual but as part of a great nation. I have sailed the Atlantic and visited many foreign countries including the poorest of nations. Through my travels, I was stunned and shocked to hear my fears affirmed by peoples of foreign nations and for many years was deeply ashamed to be an American. I I have followed Obama, since I first heard him speak 4 years ago and knew then that he was a channel for change. As a sailor I am not always privy to television, but on election night I listened to Obama's acceptance speech on NPR while at sea and I was moved to tears. I knew at that time that this nation and the world was at a crossroads, thankfully we as Americans pulled together and said enough is enough. Today was the most meaninful day in all of my forty years, for the message that Barak Obama has orated has given me not only hope for myself personally but he, has renewed my faith in America, its people and the values and ideals on which it was founded.

Dr T   January 21st, 2009 12:40 am ET

I believe that this new president is just not a simple addition to American history like any other president that was celebrated into their new position President Obama has set a higher standard for the people from all walks of life to reinstate their respect to our government, to each other & revive the spirit of unity for a common goal through his sincere yet forceful, heartfelt and down to earth approach in leading the nation during the worst time that the American people ever experienced for several decades

kay   January 21st, 2009 12:43 am ET

just wanted to comment on michelle obama's dress. it was lovely
and to all the so call fashion experts just look at your selves, you call
yourself experts look how your are dressed. no style to you at all. get ride of the shades and glasses.

Krystee L.   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

What an awesome event-filled day. I am still in shock by everything! This is truly history in the making and we have not even begun! I think America finally has some semblance of hope instilled in their beings once again!

Gloria   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

As a Canadian watching the historic events of the swearing in of the 44th President, I realize this was not only an inauguration but an awakening of a nation! The unfolding events throughout the day has revealed a new life being breathed into the American people! God Bless America!

christopher   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

Yes, Larry! President Obama, if he has not already (and this I want to know) needs to read John Robbins ‘The Food Revolution’. Have you read this book, Larry? Its a astounding and most timely book to read in regards to the future of our countrys land, economic, and public health. It needs to be resurfaced now and please help me do this. It should be offered in high schools.

Thanks Larry,
Thank you President Obama.

Pete in LA   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

Prosecute Bush, Cheney & Rumsfeld for war crimes...throw them in jail!

Gail   January 21st, 2009 12:44 am ET

We love President Obama so much, and we love Our First Lady Michelle. We love to see them in love!

Shankar   January 21st, 2009 12:45 am ET

hey larry, i'm a junior in college and i've been following president obama's career for the past couple years. i have just been so disgusted with the way the bush administration lied to us about iraq so naturally, getting our troops out of there is one thing that i would like president obama to do. of course, i would like him to expedite the healing of this economy first, but secondly, i want him to end this absolutely unnecessary war. it just completely disgusts me.

Joseph Debald   January 21st, 2009 12:45 am ET

Congratulations President Obama and First Lady Michelle and God Bless You on your journey. On my to do list....PLEASE PUSH FOR A PLAYOFF SYSTEM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL . The BCS is not working and we need a playoff system, I recall the President stating he would encourage it and I hope he would. God Bless America

Kayla Rodriguez   January 21st, 2009 12:45 am ET

I have been a legal resident for 20 years in the United Statres. I just became a naturalized citizen and it was a priviledge doing so. Even though I've lived here for 20 years I can honestly say that it is the first time I feel represented by MY president in this country!!

Suzanne Lackman   January 21st, 2009 12:46 am ET

I would like the Obama Administration to commit to allowing women-owned businesses to bid on more than 4 out of 130 industries and to be given the opportunity to earn more than 4% of federal government contracts.

I would also like to see the pay equity act passed so women can earn more than 77 cents on the dollar, doing the same work as men.

maria Ferguson   January 21st, 2009 12:46 am ET

I Feel That Barack Obama doesn't need anything else to do, he knows what to do and thats what makes a great leader.

Jens   January 21st, 2009 12:46 am ET

Regarding on matters that Pres. Obama should focus on:
Education and the US Debt. These are long-term goals which we must master if we want to have a competitive, stable and econimically powerful country in the decades to come.

Julian Jones Legrand   January 21st, 2009 12:47 am ET

This has been the most exciting day for me since I helped get people in the bronx to vote for my first president Jimmy Carter. Our new president Obama and the first lady are so eligant and tangible. I'm going to enjoy watching them and how they evolve in the coming years. and I love Larry King

Julie Walters   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

Work on a deeper understanding of the Middle East . One that is not based on taking sides with one party just because they have a stronger lobby.
It is about time that the world sees the US ntervene justly starting with the massacres that took place in Gaza.
Just prove to the world that the US today (needless to say :unlike the Bush administration) will work on meritting back justly that sovereignty and respect that has become questionable.

Ralph Havens   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

I would like to see a special prosecutor to look into G. Bush and D. Cheney authorizing torture and if found to be true then trying them both for war crimes. The world is watching and to not do so would make us all accomplices to war crimes. THE WORLD IS WATCHING.

luther cruz   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

save the state from dirtyness stay freshtell your wife you love her kis your chigre

Sirak Haile   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

Stay out of Horn of African affairs. Make our region peaceful!

Tim   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

Is the 1st Lady wearing a wedding ring?

lisa   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

I believe a few things Pres Obama should do is get a full-night's SLEEP! He has worked long and hard to achieve what he has. He's earned a nap.

Joseph T Walker   January 21st, 2009 12:48 am ET

If you want real change start talking about our antiquated, repressive tax code. Look at HR25 the Fair Tax Initiative! GOOD LUCK TO OUR NEW PRESIDENT!

Michael J. Thornton   January 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

This was truly a great experience!! "THE INAUGURATION SONG – LOVE AND MIRACLES – by HYDEFINITION MUSIC GROUP" Really embodies this historic day!!!! Everybody should take a listen to this powerful inspirational song!!!!

Joe Weber   January 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

Larry,
Bring up Howard Dean! He helped elect Obama but we've heard nothing about him!

Karen Solano   January 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

I beleive the first order of business for President Obama should be a good nights rest. There is so much sitting on his plates in the morning that he should really enjoy one LAST good night of seet dreams.

chris mcfarlane   January 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

I am a supporter of President Obama, I voted for him and loved his speech today. Yet, I am done with the hype of him as the next Messiah. I am done with this "black" president. He is a man-yes,one I think will unite us-but not until everyone leaves race and "god"out of this. He is brilliant-he is biracial,something that can unite us-yet-people are choosing to focus only on his blackness-Leave everything about race and God out, and let us focus on the man he is,the man that can lead this country in the right direction. Thank you

Daniel from NY   January 21st, 2009 12:49 am ET

I apologize for not following directions, so here it is:

President OBAMA To do List:

Revive Economy by establishing Green/ Eco Friendly Jobs.
Re-establish lending by banks.
Re-establish foreign relations.
Pass the American Dream Act. <- Please mention at least this one.
Maintain American optimism.
Regain the power of the dollar.
Revive foreign confidence in American market.
and most importantly, LIVE UP TO OUR EXPECTATIONS.

Don't let me down Mr. President. We put all our faith and future in your hands. Lead us and we will follow...

GOD BLESS THIS WONDERFUL NATION!!!

Rick Hamade   January 21st, 2009 12:50 am ET

America needed a president and now we have one. America can not afford to live in isolation and today the gate is wide open to all supporters and believers. Finally we are gaining respect from the international countries. God bless the president and United States of America.

Meagan Fennen   January 21st, 2009 12:50 am ET

I am s o thrilled to watch President Obama's inaguaration day!!
This is an exciting day for America, it's time we had a change for this country of ours!
My problem is that black people are being interviewed and very few other people. I understand that this is an historic day and a victory for black people. But, it is also for people of every color.
We have a wonderful energetic, young president who has instilled in us HOPE.
I would like to see other peoples opinion.

Sincerely,

Meagan Fennen

melinda stewart - nashville tennessee   January 21st, 2009 12:50 am ET

i think that today;s inaugration was inpressive, the children will bring life into the stuffy white house and it has been a long time since a breath of fresh air has been breathed into the house i just hope that they will remain as they are and not let all the hype go to their heads i think that their parents seem to have their heads screwed on right and they will grow up to be wonderful young ladies like ms clinton.

Carole Stone-Oks   January 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

Education: couple of mistakes are already on the agenda. Putting the focus on early education, leaves behind every child that is currently in school.. Second, teacher training is much to broad a directive, especially for Arne Duncan (Sc'y of Ste)who brings his competitive sports mindset to the NCLB initiative. Arne Duncan’s Chicage website is a frighteningly competitive display of figures that pits school against school and child against child. The competitive approach to education that NCLB formulates is ruining tthis country's Education progarm as it negates the chance for children to develop the desire to learn independently and prepare themselves for the challengs of adult hood
Carole, School Psychologist in Cambridge , MA

Tim   January 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

I see my ??? is on the blog, could a producer ask Larry King about the ring on the 1st Lady's finger...is that a wedding ring or is she not wearing one and President Obama is?....curious?
Change/Hope!!

Mike   January 21st, 2009 12:51 am ET

I feel very proud to be a part of this day. My children are our future and it gives them hope and pride to know that all is possible in our world. I have voted republican in the past but now feel that it is time for a breath of fresh air....Long rule Obama!!!!!!

Chip Jenne   January 21st, 2009 12:52 am ET

Drug Legalization! Talk about it. Prohibition, end it now. See the damaging effects of criminalization in the U.S., Mexico, Afghanistan, and, basically, anywhere we don't acknowledge that people use drugs for good and ill. We need to talk about it it on the national and international level.

Sherry B of Illinois   January 21st, 2009 12:52 am ET

Mrs. Obama should have been in a pale pink or champagne pink outfit for the inauguratuion rather than the yellow/mustard color. The red & black dress at the nomination also, was so wrong. Hopefully, she will take better advice on her choice of clothing. The white for the evening was lovely.

Zachary Splawn   January 21st, 2009 12:52 am ET

Larry, I realize there are so many issues that need to be resolved. It is hard to really prioritize.
I would like to see Equal Rights for Gays. I'd like to see marriage rights restored for all.
This is a time of rebuilding and restructuring.
He needs our prayers. We have a very long road ahead. But as he so eloquently stated....We will get there.

Lisa   January 21st, 2009 12:53 am ET

Way to go Nation. I'm Proud of Our Country. If We Work together We can over come the Problems facing Us. As a single mom of two and just pulled myself out of forecloser. The plan of Pres. Obama can work if We do

Kathryn Palmer   January 21st, 2009 12:53 am ET

This has been a wonderful day four our country! I'm ecstatic we finally have an intelligent, charismatic, level-headed, and thoughtful person at the helm! He seems like he might be the best president ever! I can finally feel proud to be an American again!

BUT... Michelle's ball gown was disappointing and, it seems, difficult for her to dance in. She's constantly had to adjust it or grab it so as not to step on it – at least that's how it looked to me.

I would have preferred to see her be able to dance without the effort that dress forced upon her. She's had a looooooooooooooooong, exhausting day so easier and more fun would have been better. Just my opinion.

waukeen mccoy, esq.   January 21st, 2009 12:53 am ET

Larry,

One thing that should be on OBAMA's list is to get rid of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) and to support the right to marry for all Americans, gays and Lesbians included!

I am one of 4 attorneys that argued for the Plaintiffs in the "In re marriage" case (Lead Attorneys representing the Clinton Plaintiffs) in California in March of 2008, am African American and Gay and I want to feel totally recognized and have the choice to participate in the institution of marriage. I trust that he will put this ahead of the pack. Thanks Larry.

Shajn Cabrera   January 21st, 2009 12:53 am ET

Good Evening, what a great day to be an American. As a Soldier, it's important that all onlookers from other nations respect our democracy in order to believe it can work for their society. There are no countries more interested in what we're doing on this day than those in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Israel, Palestine and Africa. The hatred for Americans by muslim nations began through the Israel/Palestine conflict and has bled into majority muslim based nations like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran who use the words of the Koran to commit acts of terrorism. Let's be an example to all countries, and having an African American who most resembles those in foreign nations is a higher message than we can currently fathom.

suz   January 21st, 2009 12:53 am ET

I am saddened by a day of unity for us to have been a day of segregation by the press. WE voted for President Obama. WE as a country displayed our embrace of the man Barack Obama. Yes, it is historic and a huge step for the black community, however, it did not only belong to the black community.

The world watched as we showed unity. The press coverage did not show all of us. It showed celebrities, the black community and then here and there the rest of us. It was our day of togetherness and integration...the press segregated us.

Kay   January 21st, 2009 12:54 am ET

I remember the civil rights issues of the 60's and MLK's "I have a dream speech"

I never thought I would live long enough to see the day when we had an African American President.

I pray for all of the Obamas, as well as for us, as President Obama said it's going to take work and YES WE CAN remake America.

I am proud to be American. God Bless the nation and give President Obama the strength to follow through on all of his much needed plans for this country!

kapuya   January 21st, 2009 12:54 am ET

best show larry obama has change me,its like to put fish back in the water .cnn yeah

Rene   January 21st, 2009 12:55 am ET

David, I think you need to change your write up times to AM after 12 🙂

Tim   January 21st, 2009 12:55 am ET

Can someone tell me if that is the 1st Lady's wedding ring or is she not wearing one?

Joanna Ceciliani   January 21st, 2009 12:56 am ET

Larry, I think it is the perfect time for a t-shirt "GOBOMA"..... can you get one made and be sure to send me one?

I have not felt this way since Kennedy was elected and/or we landed on the Moon!

Joanna

maria Ferguson   January 21st, 2009 12:56 am ET

Hey Larry, i'm from the Bahamas and i watched the inauguration today. Watching this momentous and historical ocassion made me optimistic about my future as a black person. I feel that Barack Obama doesn't need anything else to do ,he knows what he has to do and thats what makes a great leader.

Gail   January 21st, 2009 12:56 am ET

I also agree with William Waters's comment. It is time to hang up the slavery talk, Usher. The dream is realized and we have begun to heal! Thank you White America! Thank you Black America! Thank you Brown America! Thank you Yellow America! and Thank you Red America! We are one America: The United States of America. Abraham Lincoln saved it and kept it together, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed it, John F. Kennedy protected it, and Robert Kennedy predicted it in 1968. Their spirits are the Angels that will guide him through it. We are one America! God bless America.

Thank you Mr. Larry King for D. L. Hugley and allowing us this blog to express ourselves. We love you too.

Kimberly Bowden   January 21st, 2009 12:57 am ET

I think what is most amazing about President Obama is that his caucasion grandparents were able to raise him to love people and not hate the African part of himself. Everything that he does he does with an elegance that leaves us in awe. In all that the Obama's have accomplished they maintain who they were raised to be. I am so excited to witness in my lifetime a president that I can relate to because he grew up from a modest background similar to mine. I love that the Obamas are a couple that are not afraid to show the world how much they love and support one another. It shows in all that they do. The girls are beautiful and full of life. You can tell that they are allowed to be themselves and have morals instilled in them.

TATYANA   January 21st, 2009 12:58 am ET

Today is a new day in America. A great day, a wonderful day. We are an awesome nation and today we have spoken. Here is to 8 awesome prosperous years of Barack's presidency and America the beautiful.

By the way Larry, I love your show, however I found it rather weird that you would say that Barack is "no Clark Gable" What exactly is that supposed to mean?! You are a fine and well respected media authority, please don't give in to statements like that which, however trivial they might sound, use one standard of beauty as a yardstick for the rest of America. America is a country of beautiful people that come in all shades, sizes and personalities. To some, Clark Gable is "no Barack"....

Toi   January 21st, 2009 12:58 am ET

Larry King is absolutely right, Barack Obama is not Clark Gable, but Clark Gable was no Barack Obama!

MYLIN ELIZABETH   January 21st, 2009 12:59 am ET

FIRST...i want to thank "HUGH" for EDUCATING "JACOB" on his ignorant comment about there being no Negro National Anthem. You wrote everything i wanted to say.

SECOND...i want to say WOW...What a day TODAY has been....this nation is BLESSED to have this man, Barack Obama, as President. YES he is an African American which breaks through hundreds of years of barriers BUT he does not represent ONLY BLACKS...he is for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and as an African American..there is nothing i want more than for us as a nation to become more UNITED. Praise God for what is to come.

THIRD...this is a question for Larry, Jeff J, and/or Anyone who can answer this for me.....
"Besides the Neighborhood Ball, what were the other 9 BALLS that the President and First Lady attended tonight???"

Sunny   January 21st, 2009 12:59 am ET

The Aroquettes look like they're really suffering haha. Why don't they give some of that money they got to appear back to the people who are really suffering. I love Will.I.Am, but come on we don't see any of these artists helping/visiting the regular every day tax paying people.

Stephanie   January 21st, 2009 12:59 am ET

I just cannot believe the "fashionistas" on the program would agree that the first lady's two inaugural ensembles were great. I think Michelle is going to be a great first lady but, come on...yellow isn't her color. The dress and coat looked like it was dyed with spicy brown mustard and designed for someone in their 70's. Can I just say...matronly!
While her ballgown was lovely, it looked like something a high school girl would wear to the prom.
While I KNOW this isn't any kind of priority for the new administration, the new First Lady needs a better stylist in the future.

Carole Stone-Oks   January 21st, 2009 1:00 am ET

Arne Duncan nor President Obama, have ever worked in the trenches of public education. They've run boards. Made big decisons, been he big guys. Take it from someone behind the scences, teacher training usually gets translated into the teachers receiving workshops from loveal neurologist framm a major hospital who knows nothing about school cultures. Early education program are run by serious gatekeepers who aim to :keep their numbers down" in order to keep their jobs. The basis of educational curriculums are focused on competition, beating the other guy. This is not the community building wolrd that Obama envisions. That's why he's sending his daughters to a Quaker school where respect for other cultures is a mainstay of that educational curriculum. Charter schools will not solve that problem Revamping no child left behind is a colossal mistake that Arne Duncan will pursue because he is part of the establishment of growing children that compete and succeed on the most selfish terms. Duncan as a mistake. But this probmlem will get ignored even though it perpetuates the problens that continue to undermine the stregth of this country.

Dee, St. Louis MO   January 21st, 2009 1:01 am ET

I would like the Obama Administration to work with state governments to come up with organized, constructive programs for citizen involvement that allow us to focus and hone our collective energies on those projects (volunteer or otherwise) that will offer the most bang for the effort.

Now that we have all heard the call to service and are ready to work, I would love to see our President leading cadence as We, the People, get to work. It would be so wonderful to be able to see some specific, measurable goals set forth for our efforts so that we can subsequently see and celebrate our collective successes and be energized to do more.

Boy, wouldn't that be nice...

kapuya   January 21st, 2009 1:02 am ET

hi! larry this is like to put fish back to water

TF   January 21st, 2009 1:03 am ET

Thank you for the opportunity to share thoughts. God Bless America, God Bless Mr. President and God speed to all of our service men and women as they sacrifice to serve our country. There are so many things that need to be addressed it is impossible to list it all here. It is refreshing to read many of the blogs that voice so many interests and concerns. My prayer is that many of the issues will be resolved and work to strengthen America, dissolve disparity and continue to give us hope for the future.

Jude   January 21st, 2009 1:04 am ET

I'm an aboriginal from Canada and proud to see that Barack Obama become the 1st african-american President. The white came to this continent, to our country with these people as slaves and today they they represent as conquerers and today they come with peace hope...

uncle allan   January 21st, 2009 1:04 am ET

I live in Asia so watched most of Obama today on Tv, it was great till unfortunately Larry king live came on, the reason, as usual with Larry king its adverts, adverts, adverts, every few minutes, that's why we hardly ever watch Larry king, we actually change channel till its over.Please whoever is responsible please stop adding adverts every few minutes.
Thank you.

Carrie   January 21st, 2009 1:05 am ET

Today was not only a great day for all Americans, but also a sad day. I feel like Former President George Bush has been given a bad name and has had to take on the burden of many things that were out of his control. Do you really think that the economy is his fault? Is it really his fault that 100's of people lost there homes – most of probally shouldn't have been given the loan in the first place? Is it really his fault that lots of people lost there jobs because of it? Or lost there jobs because they are in the country illegally? And so on and so on – there is a long list of things – but who is really too blame?? I do agree -President OBama has a long road ahead of him – but really who is to blame?? I am a very proud American – who took off work today to watch the celebrations – but I am tired of hearing all about Bush and his faults and how historic today is. I am very proud to be born and raised in this country and am extremely proud that I was able to witness history today – because I wasn't sure I would get to see it in my lifetime. However, in Obama's words, it doesn't matter if you are Black or White, Hispanic or Muslim, Gay or Straight, ect.. – We are all Americans!!! Now lets all move on – history has been served – lets stop making that so much of celebration and lets fix America – with no blame on who's fault it is and how it will be fixed! Let's all listen to our new President – would we all be celebrating as much if he where caucasion?? I am proud to say I voted for Obama – not because of his race – but because of what he stands for. Now can we please stop makin this a race issue and remember why we all live in this great country?? God Bless the United States of America!

Canada Paul   January 21st, 2009 1:05 am ET

Larry – you and your correspondent talked over the soundbites of The President of the United States tonight !! Not to mention trashing The First Lady's clothing as 'that yellow thing'!!! Betcha that would never have happened to Babs B., Ron and Nancy –
Larry – it's all about change. Get with the program.
PJB
Calgary, Canada

Sherry B of Illinois   January 21st, 2009 1:05 am ET

To Chris McFarlane.....YES! I agree.....Hopefully, he and his staff will do a good job leading the country. Walk on water? I don't think so.

Rhonda   January 21st, 2009 1:05 am ET

The President & smoking? Please, enough already. Give the guy a break. I would be more concerned about my Grandchildren growing up in a society where they did not have the freedom to CHOOSE lifestyle choices.

Devi   January 21st, 2009 1:06 am ET

Larry, No offense meant to Mrs. Obama's choice of dress for teh inaugural ball or the designer, but I couldn't help notice Mrs. Obama having to adjust her dress more often than should while she was dancing. It seems her dress was more distracting than accomodating her to enjoy the dance. It seemed like the dress was too long and was geting in the way of her dance steps. Nevertheless Mrs. Obama looked gorgeous.

Devi

Dan   January 21st, 2009 1:06 am ET

Thank you Barack for saying that the time has come for America to grow up!

Kazim Beg   January 21st, 2009 1:08 am ET

Today was a good day to be an American. Its incredible given the history of slavery in this country but there are other countries where barriers were broken. India a majority Hindu country had a Muslim President & a current Sikh Prime Minister. Also a majority Buddhist Thailand had a Muslim Commander-in-Chief of a powerful army who organized the coup and was the most powerful person in that country and helped in a smooth transition. Pakistan had the first Muslim Female Prime Minister in the Muslim World.
Yes, it is historic and incredible and I have nothing but respect for the people who made it possible in this country but to project it to the levels that something like this is unique in this world in not true.
But once again not to take anything away I really congratulate everyone from the bottom of my heart who made this amazing moment possible.
Lets not limit the limitless Mercy and Blessing of God. Let me say God not only bless USA but also bless the whole World. Ameen

Meg   January 21st, 2009 1:08 am ET

Thanks Larry King for finally showing us a little bit of David & Courteney Arquette!
it's 7 am here in france, and I am still up watching CNN!
thanks!

Julie Brusaw   January 21st, 2009 1:10 am ET

To Do List:

Implement the Solar Roadways, which will create millions of green tech jobs, halt Climate Change, end our dependence on oil, create a new intelligent highway infrastructure that pays for itself. Many more benefits!

Also, work on Health Care Reform.

Restore integrity to Washington and model it for our country.

Devi   January 21st, 2009 1:10 am ET

I am from Sri Lanka, and I've been glued to the TV since the special telecast on OBama's inauguration began hours before he swore in as president. Its awesome and overwhelming! I have no doubt Mr. Obama will be the best and teh most extraordinary president that America ever had and loved. God bless President Obama.

Mickie Sorabjee - Mumbai/India   January 21st, 2009 1:11 am ET

With Barrack Hussein Obama unanimously elected and sworn in as its 44th President, the United States of America has repaid a long overdue social debt to discriminated African Americans whose ancestors were imported into their country as shackled slaves.

With the conclusion of the much awaited and most exorbitant inaugural celebrations of the new elected head of state of the American nation, and after his highly emotionally charged swearing-in as the 44th President of the United States of America, the young man who aspired and succeeded in creating history by becoming the first American President of African roots, Barrack Obama has made the ultimate transition from his “YES WE CAN” to “NOW WE SHOULD”, stage.
He has miles to go and promises to keep……. America and the world is anticipatively watching, with a zillion hopes for positive change across the globe pinned on his sturdy dependable shoulders that sought change and achieved it with all the goodwill he earned along the way.
The preface has been written. Now for the main story as it unfolds

David Weikel   January 21st, 2009 1:13 am ET

Today I, being originally from Philadelphia, am proud that I have lived to see the day of fulfillment of the words of our founding fathers. Surely they must be smiling on us. We've waited 233 years for this moment to happen. I am proud that in America, that there is truly opportunity for anyone to pursue their dreams.

Dave W
Port Angeles, Washington

leigh   January 21st, 2009 1:13 am ET

the first proirty for the pres obama should be the enconmy and have special help to the military. I am just wondering though was everyone excited at the capital today or were there some protesters

Canada Paul   January 21st, 2009 1:13 am ET

Let's all remember, her proper salutation is:

"Michelle Obama" not "Mrs. Obama"

Times, they are a-changing...

Anne Naesse   January 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

Hi,
A thing that President Obama should do is invite an ordinary family or couple to State dinners at the White House.

DD   January 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

For days we have heard the media and many citizens praising Obama like he has done wonders, when in fact up to this point he has done nothing from a Presidential position. I also thought it was tacky of the reporters and commentators to continue to bad mouth Bush during todays activities. I would have thought they could have held off for one day.

Terry L. Brown, S.R.   January 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

"In 2008
I’m Voting
for the
Total
Package"

Meagan Fennen   January 21st, 2009 1:15 am ET

I also think First Lady Michelle Obama's dress was an unfortunate choice. It is too long , she is constantly adjusting the skirt and train. The train is riduculous, not suitable for dancing. . The skirt gangly and heavy looking. After such a long day, she should have picked something a bit "lighter". More comfortable and carefree.

But I do think she will make a wonderful First Lady.

Meagan Fennen Spokane, WA

Donna Craig   January 21st, 2009 1:17 am ET

First put God first in everything that you do.
straighten out the economy so we won't have to work two and three jobs just to make ends meet.
Give these kids a chance to prove themselves in school instead of forcing them to take the GED program. All these children need is a little encouragement.

Canada Paul   January 21st, 2009 1:17 am ET

Dave W. – you have said it all. As one of 'the colonies', I too join in the celebration. We worked hard here to make the Underground Railroad a reality way back when – at last – united we stand!!
(ps...loved Cheney in the wheelchair!) OOOPS!

Elizabeth Howell, CPA   January 21st, 2009 1:19 am ET

I, too, am inspired and hopeful at last, with the election of President Obama. One thing that has plagued me my entire life, and was evident in today's events, was that "white should see right." I always have. Every race has noble and ignoble members; I would like to be seen as the person that I am, rather than just an assumed privileged white female. I came from poor people who saw high school graduation as a privilege and refused to allow me to go to college despite excellent grades and scolarship offers, because I was underage. When I was 18, they threw me out of the house. After 2 children and the death of my first husband, I received social security surviving spouse and children's benefits, got a part-time job with health benefits and worked my way through college. When i applied to work for the State of California, I was not hired because despite the fact that I had scored a perfect entrance exam score, I was not hired because bonus points were give to minorities. I also have come to realize over the course of my career that women are still more underpaid and under-recognized than their black male counterparts in the real work world.
I understand that enormous tragedy and suffering were heaped upon African Americans when I was a small child. I did not do it, although I am ashamed to be lumped in with bigots and murders. What I submit to you is that bigots and murders exist in all races, and each person should be treated equally on his or her own merits.
What I pray for is that ALL people will be judged for who they are, not what race they are, even white people. This is asking a reciprocal step forward; I hope that the Reverends of the original civil rights movements will consider that a new generation of light-skinned people has been placed on the planet and that not only are a great majority of us not bigots, but that some of us sacrificed for their cause by being denied college entrance and job placement due to being white.
May we have the privilege of being assumed innocent until proven guilty as well?

Barbara Burton   January 21st, 2009 1:22 am ET

At last! I am so pleased that Americans have overcome their concerns about skin colout sufficiently to elect a bright young man of the people for their president. He is an inspiration to all Americans and people in other countries to hope that all aspects of life on this planet can be improved with a spirit of cooperation and generosity toward others of all races and beliefs everywhere. I do hope people will be supportive of him and each other, and pray for him and his family as he takes the reins of power and looks to the future with great optimism.

I am a regular listener to your show.

Meagan Fennen   January 21st, 2009 1:25 am ET

I vehemently disagree with TY MOORE. Prayer should not be brought back to the public school system. Not everyone is Christian. Children of a young age who are not taught the Christian way will be confused.
I think your religious preference is a private matter. The constitution says we are not to mix religion and government. ( Something President Bush did not understand. ) I also think we should not mix education and religion unless in a private school that is associated with a religion.

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE!

Sherry B of Illinois   January 21st, 2009 1:27 am ET

I think it was Chris Matthews who said with Obama in the White House, and showing such a good example of living, that maybe, just maybe, it will be UNCOOL to be a gang-banger, thug, etc........
Wouldn't that be awesome, if the President's lifestyle ended the ganger lifestyle in our country?! Go USA!!!

Catherine Blackmore   January 21st, 2009 5:37 am ET

I am responding to comments that Larry King just made about what people thought of the inauguration. Well for me I loved every minute of it. I am a expariate Australian woman working in Dubai and this is the first time I have ever taken a huge interest in American politics. I loved the gown Michelle wore to the ball and I love Larry's description only he could get away with it calling the gown that yellow thing or that dress. He and she hold the hopes of a world at their feet and I am sure of this as of anything I am sure of is he will deliver change, and apply common sense to situations which he will encounter. Times are tough and he acknowleges this but if anyone can do it he can.
Thanks for the opportunity to comment on this great day in the life of everybody who has a mind, heart, energy for change and concern.

Jude   January 21st, 2009 6:40 am ET

Who are the first people of Unite States Of America and the North America? Do they deserve a piece of reconition like Aberham Lincoln?? They came like him, came here for free, they found prosperity, richeness of our land with their slaves and today those africans got their freedom and we the people, the aboriginals never got the respect nor the reconized for what they found. What is there left to change and hope for when they took our resouces without our permission.

sherry from TX   January 21st, 2009 8:51 pm ET

Mrs. Obama looked regal & lovely..I would have chosen a light aqua color for her & long gloves or gauntlets /her arms are so long/ ...but am so HAPPY she chose her own designers/unknown/ & not Oscar de or Carolina Herrera, etc.....good for her, she's her own person..wonder who made her green shoes & green leather gloves..she knew exactly what to do.. katie Couric said tonight "J Crew stock went up " because Obama girls were wearing J Crew coats,,yippee......

average tax payer   January 21st, 2009 9:52 pm ET

I am a big supporter of President Obama's, but one nomination I can't support of his is that of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. As someone who pays Self Employment taxes myself, I KNOW that you don't need to be an accountant or financial guru to figure out what you owe. It's simple arithmetic. And, because you need to pay quarterly, not just once a year as most people do, there's lots of opportunities to catch your mistake if you do screw up! Geithner..... you have no excuse, especially given you are a financial "guru"!

Elroy   January 21st, 2009 9:52 pm ET

I will like him to do his best and keep us in mind

IFE REYNOLDS   January 21st, 2009 10:00 pm ET

NOT A COMMENT BUT A SUGGESTION, LARRY.
WON'T BE WONDERFUL TO HAVE A NEW BABY IN THE WHITE
HOUSE BY MRS MICHELLE OBAMA.
THE GIRLS ARE GROWN AND ANOTHER BABY ( MAYBE A SON) WILL BE WHAT THE WORLD AND THE OBAMAS NEED NOW TO SUPER PASS THE EVENT OF THE INAUGURATION.
DON'T YOU AGREE LARRY?
IFEOHAMA

B.A. Bouvette   January 21st, 2009 10:00 pm ET

Are you aware that the song Aretha Franklin sang at the swearing in ceremony was the music of Canada's national anthem "God Save the Queen"

evon Jax., FL   January 21st, 2009 10:05 pm ET

PLEASE ALLOW MAINSTREET AMERICA TO WITHDRAW FUNDS FROM THEIR RETIREMENT ACOUNT WITHOUT THE IRS PENALIZING US WHO NEED IT NOW!

Patricia   January 22nd, 2009 12:46 am ET

To do list for the Obama!!!

*RE_ORGANIZE THE ECONOMY
*INVESTIGATE WY, THE REAL REASON OF THE WORD IN IRAK
*CUT AND CONTROL THE EXPENSES, WY SO MUCH MONEY AWAY.........WY?????
I SALUTE OBAMA, FOR THE COURAGE TO BE PRESIDENT IN THIS TIMES.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter